Can't decide if I should teach language arts or social studies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by musicluver9001, Jul 23, 2015.

1. musicluver9001

musicluver9001 New Member

Jul 23, 2015

Hello everyone! I will be a sophomore in college this year, and I know I want to be a teacher, but I keep second guessing what I want to teach. Right now my major is integrated social studies, but there's this part of me that also wants to teach language arts. How do you decide? I love learning about the different cultures, and time periods, and whats happened throughout history, but I also love reading and discussing books. Is there any way I could teach both high school social studies and language arts? I know it's different for every state, I live in Ohio, but if anyone has any advice that would be great! Thank you!

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2015

What is your minor?

I know several secondary teachers who are certified in two subjects. My mother is certified in English and history. One of my friends is certified in math and English.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 24, 2015

Typically, Social Studies jobs are difficult to find.

English is more than reading and discussing books. Outcomes for most English classes includes reading (fiction and non-fiction), writing (narrative, argumentative, expository), language (vocabulary, grammar, conventions), speaking (one-on-one, small group, large group), and listening.

I'm certified in English Language Arts (grades 6-12) and have a psychology endorsement (grades 9-12). Six of the classes I teacher each day are English, one is psychology.

You can end up certified in both. A dual-certified teacher would have a competitive edge in the job applicant pool.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 24, 2015

I was sort of the same way. I chose ELA ultimately and now I partner with the SS teacher on some projects. I try to choose books that I have an interest in from a SS perspective. For example, some of my students read Night about the Holocaust. It's the best of both worlds, but it depends on where you find a job.

6. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jul 24, 2015

You can assign and discuss books in any subject. In ELA, we teach the kids HOW to comprehend, analyze, discuss, and write about those books.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 24, 2015

I agree with the suggestion on getting certified in both if that's an option for you. While most likely you'd be hired to teach just one and not both, it makes you more marketable. Ohio is not an easy state to get a teaching job in. Anything you can do to make yourself a stronger candidate will help you in your future job hunt.

8. musicluver9001

musicluver9001 New Member

Jul 24, 2015

Thank you!

Thanks everyone! I've started to look into getting certified in both. It would be a little more work, but definitely worth it!

9. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 24, 2015

I'm certified in both. I teach at a small rural school. I always taught a mix of English and history classes (middle school and high school) until last year. Last year, I had English all day long and I missed teaching a history class.

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2015

Get certified in both, if possible, or only English.

I am only certified to teach secondary SS and there are far fewer SS jobs in my district - which is very large - compared to Math, Science and English positions. Far fewer and these jobs are hard to get.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2015

Depends. I taught HS Gov't, USH and WH and once when I suggested doing a novel study; I was told "no" because my job was to prepare students for the state exams which are not skill based - like in Math and English - but content and fact based. I was told to suggest my book choice to the English teachers, see if they would teach it and then we could collaborate on any activities.

Now, I do think that if I was teaching MS social studies where there is no state exam; my Admin would not have cared except for having to pay for the books.

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 24, 2015

My undergrad major was English and then I did my Master's in Elementary Ed. They said all my classes that I took in undergrad would endorse me in ELA & Social Studies! So a lot of my English classes overlapped with the SS classes.
    You should be able to do both without having to take a lot of extra classes.
    My sister is actually doing Secondary Ed with endorsements in ELA & SS so I don't think it'll be that hard to do. She is your age & just got accepted into the College of Ed at her university

13. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 24, 2015

You can do both! Getting certified in ELA and SS is definitely doable! Many teachers are dual certified, especially in secondary education. I have my bachelor's in English and am certified to teach English for grades 7 - 12. I chose not to get dual certified (although I plan on eventually getting my elementary certification because that is my passion second to books), but I have friends who chose to get dual certified upon graduation. The most popular choices were English major/history minor and history major/English minor (some did choose to double major) because of the overlap of classes and shared interest in the subjects. Dual certification in math and science wasn't unheard of either.

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 25, 2015

If you ever wanted to do middle school (6th-8th), many places require you to teach both, and therefore require both endorsements. Smaller schools will have a math/science teacher and a LA/SS teacher per grade level.