Can't Be Quiet

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by english9teach, Sep 20, 2006.

1. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

I have a student who seems incapable of being quiet! I'm trying to get my 6th period to be COMPLETELY QUIET for a certain legnth of time in order to prove a point about behavior. However, one certain student CAN'T STOP TALKING and he sets off all the others. I've called parents, sent him to the office, EVERYTHING. He just keeps talking. Sometimes he acts like he can't control it. He'll even start talking to himself. I wonder if he doesn't have some undiagnosed problem. Any suggestions?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2006

No suggestions for you, but I'm hoping that someone does, because I have a very similar student in my Student Support Centre. Most of the time, I am unable to help the other students effectively, teach a lesson, or give instructions because of his constant talking and disruption.

4. mathandme

mathandme Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Same problem here. I called the mom, gave my detention, sent to the office. It is so disruptive that I have decided to put that student in the hall until she stops talking. So now, she is talking to students who are passing in the hall, or to herself...

5. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006

I have a suggestion. It might take some research and inconvienience for you but maybe they will understand. Find out what this student likes to do. Maybe they love gym or art or lunch. So while he is eating lunch, sit right next to him and constantly talk in his ear. Be real annoying and keep saying the same word. "Pickle, pickle, pickle, mustard....etc" If he likes to draw in art, (obviously you need to cover your own class) but get in his way and hover over him.

The point is (and you might need to explain) that what you were doing is not very nice and a bit rude. Especially when it was during something he likes or wants to do. Explain that is exactly what he is doing in your class. He might make the connection.

6. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Sep 24, 2006

I have the same problem with multiple kids this year. I've discovered that some of the truly have no idea they are talking. It did a hands-on activity in class and said the rule to participate was no talking. I passed out a two sided worksheet and said one side was for the activity, and the other side was for book work. Not one student talked out of turn. They were able to control themselves. This told me they were capable and now I know that my expectations are reasonable.

7. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Sep 25, 2006

Just a suggestion....

Maybe total up the time the student talks. Then make them copy that amount of work for punishwork. For example, if the student talks for 45 mins., make them write each voc. word 45 times.... something to that effect.

In my jr. high (I teach 7th), excessive talking is on our referral slips. Students can receive ISS (in school susp.) for it if it gets that bad. I love it!

8. pastdweller

pastdweller Rookie

Oct 22, 2006

9. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Oct 22, 2006

is there anyway that you can get ahold of their cum folders especially for that one student and see if they have been having that problem for sometime. The next thing I would do is set up a SST meeting with the parents,other teachers and councler, or vp. Talk to the parents along with the other teachers (first ask them are they having similar problems with this student?). Then, explain how it is disrupting your class and their grade. State your expectations and the consequences if the behavior continues. You can also begin a rewards program for that one student. Walk by and give a token or piece of paper with a stamp without anyone knowing after the week is up they can trade it in for a prize depending on how many they earned for that week. Positive reinforcement its a good thing.:D I would first check with the other teachers and their file to see if there is anything medically going on.Good luck and keep us posted.

10. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Oct 24, 2006

I have that same student.... hmmm weird!

Seriously, I know exactly what you are going through. I have yet to figure out what to do, because this student is a good kid, has a good grade in my class, but no matter where he sits, he's talking. He can make a friend anywhere and he's always giggling. It sooooo annoying and yes, he gets the rest of the class going.

I think he is ADHD...He is already on a IEP, but they are really no help to the teacher. Luckily, you can help but love this kid. He's not disrespectful and he really does try to stop talking when I ask him, but it is like it is utterly impossible for him to be quiet!

11. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Oct 25, 2006

One of my coworkers gave her talkative student a timer to stare at. The first day she asked him to be quiet for 3 minutes. If he did it, she gave him a treat. The next day, she tried for 5 minutes, and so on. After about 15 minutes she let him take a break. Some kids like to see the timer because it makes time more concrete for them. It is worth a shot.

12. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Oct 25, 2006

Just curious....does he IEP have anything indicating he has trouble talking out? If so, the treat thing might be a great idea to help promote good behavior. What does he parents say when you talk to them about him/her talking out in class? What grade do you teach?
    Thanks