Can't afford workbooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

One of my neighbors dropped off Kira a while ago (after a day of fishing---Kira caught her first fish :) ) Her daughter is Kira's best friend and the 2 girls are in the same class.

She's pretty upset. It seems that she picked up on the fact that not a single workbook has come home yet, and phoned a friend on the school board. It seems that workbooks have been cut from the elementary school budget.

Oh, and there were 2 late additions to the class, so they're up to 29 kids in the 3rd grade.

Yet somehow the money was found for smartboards. And I could see the steam come out of my friend's ears.

I realize that money earmarked for technology is spent on technology. But parents of kids in a large class, who have had only one solid teacher in the past 3 years and now don't have the books they need really don't care about that.

Apparently there are already rumblings about voting down the budget next year. After all, if we don't even get workbooks with the budget passed, how much worse can austerity be? The lack of a late bus won't effect the elementary school kids, and there are already 29 kids in the classroom. It's kind of a "hit me with your best shot" situation, and we're 4 days into the school year.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

How many workbooks would they usually have? My class only has a math workbook, and we dont use it every day. Will the teachers be able to supplement with copies?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

I have no idea on what they'll do; I imagine we'll hear at Wednesday's meet the teacher night. (I'm not really part of the PTA crowd, so this is all news to me.)

In the past, there have been math, reading, and writing, I think-- most of the homework has been in a workbook.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 11, 2011

Personally, I think smart boards are a much better way to spend money than workbooks. Not one grade in my school (k-8) uses workbooks for any subject and we only really have textbooks for science and social studies. The teachers create our own lessons based on the state standards and we create our own materials. It's more time consuming, but we really don't have any need for workbooks.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

Reading and writing shouldn't need workbooks. Math can be supplemented with math games and worksheet copies. Maybe the PTA could fund at least one workbook that the teachers think would be most beneficial.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2011

I'm also on board with smartboard learning. So much more can be accomplished in the same time that it takes a workbook page to be completed. Lessons can be differentiated, more skills can be incorporated, children are more engaged.

That is... if the teacher is skilled with the use of a smartboard. And is willing to take the time to plan good lessons.

Change is tough, so I understand the viewpoints of those who aren't accustomed to using technology in the classroom.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 11, 2011

Doesn't sound like a big deal. We have "Homework and Remembering" workbooks for Math that have not come in yet- apparently the whole nation is on backorder?? Anyways, we just make copies to send home. Workbooks make it easier, but like any tool, they're not completely necessary...

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2011

I am surprised the school buys workbooks still, as well. That's an expensive consumable, if the kids are writing in them and they are buying new ones every year. I think I would be happier that they were using some interactive technology than using a workbook. I have a set of workbooks for my literature books and I use a worksheet out of them occasionally, but definitely not enough to justify buying the whole book for each student. I didn't really know any schools still ordered them, but I guess if they keep making them, someone is ordering them.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

Wow. I'm surprised that so few elementary schools seem to still use workbooks.

I'm reserving judgement. We'll see how this plays out. I like the teacher and trust her resourcefulness, and this isn't about her anyway.

But if my friend is any gauge, the parents are NOT happy.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 12, 2011

We always got workbooks for the two or three years specified by the textbook adoption contract, and then didn't get them anymore after that. I just tore the pages out and sent them home for practice anyway, so it would have actually been easier to make copies.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 12, 2011

The only workbook that our parish chose to get (as part of the choice with new textbooks) was reading. The math book we are using is 10 or 11 years old, so even if they had chosen them, we wouldn't get them any more. Our new science books didn't even have the choice of a workbook.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

Our lower grades have workbooks for reading, but I never use all the pages, so I copy the pages that I need. We have the math and S.S. workbooks, but only because we still get them free for ordering the textbooks. I use them since we have them, but could survive without them. Our religion only comes in workbook form. The only one I would really hate to lose is handwriting, and then only because it would be more of a hassle to find/copy resources.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 12, 2011

Some workbooks should come with the life of the adoption. That might be worth looking into if resources get tight.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

OK, so she has a math workbook.

But she's not allowed to write in it. She has to put all the homework into her notebook.

I guess they're hoping to get several year's use from a paperback workbook????

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 12, 2011

We did not buy workbooks either. We have had math and a reading/ELA in the past. We used the math pretty regularly and the ELA only because we were forcing ourselves to use it. In the lower grades hands on actvities, group work, shared reading and writing and those kinds of things are so much more productive and lasting.

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 12, 2011

Probably. I remember having workbooks in school and we were never allowed to write in them. The only time I've seen students write in workbooks was when I taught at a private school and the parents purchased the books.

18. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Sep 12, 2011

Alice..the district I'm in, at least from the last I heard in the Spring, were not ordering workbooks at the elementary level. I am curious to see, if I go back, how this is working out and what they are doing to get around the lack of workbooks that they relied so heavily on in the past. Additionally, the amount of copies teachers are allowed to make were cut down & they are encouraged not to copy as much as they had.

We've been getting more Smartboards as well. However, this money comes from a grant the district has.

19. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 12, 2011

I teach elementary, and I haven't used a single workbook or textbook in the last 4 years. My district doesn't even order textbooks anymore. It takes some getting used to on the parent's part, but it will all work out.

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2011

The year I taught 4th grade this was the case(we're talking 2005)...from a teachers point its a lot harder to mark the papers quickly. From a students point a lot of them didn't like to have to copy it on to looseleaf so about 4 or 5 of them would photo copy the workbook on those 3in1 copiers that many people have in their homes.

The next year I taught 3rd for the first half and 2nd for the 2nd half of the year....the 3rd graders were not allowed to write in them either but the grade 3 team made the copies and sent them home-it made our lives so much easier and the students were able to be neater too.

I've been in Library Media Centers for the past 2 years so I have no idea what they do now.

21. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2011

As for the Smartboards....my moms school cut about 30 teaches to half time..and then put a smartboard in every room...yup! So there are Smartboards in rooms that are empty for the first 3 hours of the day.

Hopefully Kira's teacher is smartboard proficient and will use it most of the day!

22. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 12, 2011

The only workbooks my students have is for handwriting. We have one math workbook and make copies from it. It's like, 3 inches thick and I use about 2 pages a week. It would even make sense for each child to have their own.

I create most of my materials myself or it's active learning, like games.

Maybe this will change the teachers' approach :)