Cancelling tv service

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by FarFromHome, Dec 9, 2010.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2010

I tried to call and cancel Dish Network tonight. We have to move because half of my husband's military shop closed-we didn't have a choice to stay here. My husband actually tried to get a dish at our new base (although he tried to get Direct TV) and they were unable to provide service. Our new house (townhouse) is considered historical, so they can't put a dish on the roof. The backyard is shared with the group of townhouses, so a dish can't be put in the back. So we don't have an option for any kind of dish service. My husband actually already got cable tv.

The problem is they're charging me a $100 cancellation fee. I don't think I should have to pay this fee when we aren't able to use their services. The man I talked to told me that to avoid the fee, I would have to take the receivers with me and have someone from Dish Network come to our house. We're moving to Hawaii and everything I've been living with for the last three months has to fit in my suitcases. I do not plan on leaving room for the dish receivers when I already know we can't receive service there.

Does anyone have tips on how to get out of that cancellation fee? Since I won't have a job in two weeks, I really can't afford an extra $100 right now.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 9, 2010

Did you tell them that you are moving due to military? That might help.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2010

I was just going to say the same thing Blue....its not like you want to move! I would call again and again and maybe you will get someone more sympathetic!

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2010

They said they would waive the fee for a deployment, but not for a move. It doesn't make sense to me, because if my husband was deployed, I would be staying here and would still use their service. He also would be returning and we would use the same service. However, we don't have the option of using Dish Network in Hawaii because of the house we have.

My husband called and set up an appointment for them to come and see for themselves. But they aren't coming until after I get there, so I don't know what to do with the receivers.

I'm just getting really stressed out right now with all of the things I need to do before leaving.

6. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 9, 2010

Maybe you could see if you could leave the receivers with one of your neighbors. That way you'd be able to avoid the $100 cancellation fee and they can just come and pick them up.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2010

My Son had Direct TV in North Carolina when he moved he just shipped the receivers back to them.
    Try the Letter to the editor approach, Dish has been getting a lot of bad press lately.
    Many TV stations have consumer reporters like "Channel 3 on your side" call them to see if they CAN HELP A MILITARY FAMILY!

Google "Hate Dish Network" you will get some Ideas on what to do

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2010

Mail it to yourself "If it fits it ships"

You could just say bill me and pay it of at $10 a month or $1 a month :mad:

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 10, 2010

I have had problems with Dish Network. I have successfully negotiated with them to cancel a fee after I told them I would never use their services again. If you keep at it, you can probably negotiate a smaller fee, or get it removed entirely. I was on the phone with them for over an hour.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 10, 2010

I never take no for an answer. I would call them back and see what the next person says. If you don't get what you want, ask for that person's identification, and ask to speak to a supervisor. Again, don't take no for an answer.

(I had a guy tell me that he was Mr. Directv that evening, as he was the highest there was-this was the first level tech guy-I got a $120 credit for that one after speaking to Mr. Directv's supervisor)

Tell them that you are not going to pay a $100 cancellation fee. That just isn't going to happen. Tell them that the military is requiring you to move, and you have no means of getting your receivers to your destination. If that person doesn't help, ask for their identification and ask for someone in charge. Continue doing this until you get what you want.

Satellite companies are funny. First of all, depending on who you get, your answer will change. But their overall goal is to keep (and gain) customers. Mention that you have family who also has Dish network who are ready to switch if your situation is resolved. I have also mentioned a certain forum with well over 10,000 members that I would be informing of this injustice (they don't like negative PR). You might mention that you aren't afraid of going to the media to let them know what Dish is doing to our military families.

The main goal is to let them know you mean business. If you don't get what you want right away, call back or ask to speak to someone else.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 10, 2010

I would also mention to Dish that you will be sharing their deployment vs PSC rules with all the people at your new duty station. Tell them you will gladly inform all your neighbors on base and your husband will tell everyone in his command/unit/squadron of these same policies. And that you will let the housing office know these policies so the housing office can remove Dish Network from the recommended list of providers that the housing offices gives out to all military stationed on base and in off-base housing. Maybe that might shake them up abit . . .

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2010

We just got rid of Dish Network because we didn't like the way they're service was. We hadn't them for very long so we did end up paying an early termination fee because we were still under contract (the first I heard a sat provider that had one). Are you cancelling early? I think they should waive it due to the move being a military move (deployment or no). I agree with kcjo that you should talk to a supervisor.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2010

Thanks for all of the ideas. I am going to try and call again tonight or this weekend.

Just more stress today-the vet didn't get done in time yesterday, so I had to wait to ship my pet's quarantine information until today. Now I don't know if it's going to get there on time.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 10, 2010

FFH, don't give up. Keep escalating things. Every time you hear "no" ask to speak to that person's supervisor. Occasionally, you might here something to the effect of "I don't have a supervisor". I got that from a person at AT&T a few years back. My response was "Oh, you mean I'm talking to the new CEO of AT&T???? I didn't realize you guys had replaced <insert name of CEO...can't remember now>". I eventually got what I wanted. That actually involved a bit of name dropping, or more, I got to some high level person who recognized my last name and asked if I was related to my father (he didn't know the person he was asking about was my father). But, the idea is the same. I would have kept going until the CEO himself told me no, or I got what I wanted.

I really like INteacher's approach, btw.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2010

I called again. Of course I was talking to the same guy. Apparently, even with my husband's appointment, we're supposed to have the receivers there. I said I had no way of getting them there. I told him a solution could be that they could pay to ship the receivers to Hawaii. Of course he didn't like that suggestion.

This just doesn't make sense to me. If they don't come here to get the receivers from me, I will have to leave them here. So they won't get their $100, or their receivers.

But I think he was getting tired of me, so he finally gave me a fax number to send a copy of the orders and a cover letter with our information. I plan on sending another letter with an explanation, and hope that someone is able to help us.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 12, 2010

You really got the same guy? I've never had that happen! There's usually so many of them that is impossible. Call back at a different time on the same day, like 8 hours from now, so that guy isn't working.

17. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Dec 12, 2010

Why isn't the military packing and moving for you? Just curious because if they are doing this, just let them pack the receivers.

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2010

The movers came on October 8th and 9th. My husband has already been there since the beginning of October. I decided to stay and finish out the semester here because we had a really tough time this summer-I wasn't ok with giving up my job in August. So I kept Dish Network service for the 3 months I've been here by myself. I'm leaving pretty soon, so now I'm unable to take the receivers because everything I take has to fit in my suitcases.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2010

How big are the receivers? Would they fit in those 'one price' boxes from the post office?

20. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Dec 12, 2010

That makes sense now. So you've literally been living out of suitcases for the past few months.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2010

They're too big for the large flat rate boxes.

22. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2010

Yes-less than 2 weeks to go. I'm ready to sleep in a real bed instead of a mattress on the floor!