Cancelling a job last minute

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Sunflowerteach, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Sunflowerteach

Sunflowerteach New Member

Oct 16, 2014

Hi all,
    So I am very new to the Subfinder and AESOP services as I have never been a sub, and I am finding myself to be all paranoid or scared out of my mind about cancelling a sub job! I haven't been feeling well, but shook it off knowing I need to work; however, this morning, I awoke to the nasty dry heaves and wonderful stomach ache (lovely, isn't it?!). I called subfinder and was notified that it was "too late" to cancel my job and to call the sub services help line for my district. I called the number, left a brief message detailing my assignment and have been awake with fear ever since. This is my very first time ever cancelling a job last minute (promise, totally is!), and I am freaked that the district will either (a) not find anyone to cover my 1/2 day assignment, or (b) will blackball me due to this one cancellation. All I want to do is rest and forget about the job, but I love making sure others are taken care of me/not left in a lurch. How do you not feel guilty about cancelling a job or two last minute? I know not to get in the habit of doing so, but I am afraid that this single incident will haunt me for my sub career. Any funny stories about similar things or words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated!

:love:Sunflowerteach:love:

3. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Oct 16, 2014

The sub coordinator in my district is always very adamant that as subs we have to do what's best for us. If we're sick then we stay home. Sometimes that means some rearranging has to be done.

As long as cancelling assignments isn't something that happens often, it's not something that the district will hold against you. They understand that people get sick, car trouble happens, a ton of other things.

Just let it go and if you're really worried, just shoot a quick email to the sub coordinator of the district or the office manager of the school letting them know that you're not feeling great.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 16, 2014

Better to stay home and create a minor shuffle than go in and create a health issue for the students as well as yourself. It's okay to be sick!

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 16, 2014

If you're sick and you don't make a habit of calling in, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Most school districts really need good subs and if you're a good sub, one call-in isn't going to hurt you at all. I, for one, really appreciate sick people staying home!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2014

Subs get unexpectedly sick, too, just like teachers. If it becomes a regular thing it will hurt you.

7. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Oct 17, 2014

I currently have 5 school districts on Aesop. I can cancel jobs up to an hour before the job starts on two of the districts. The other two force me to contact the district Aesop coordinator, which is a pain if you wake up sick at 4 AM.

Last year I should have cancelled a job but that I could make it through the day. During the last period of the day, I threw up in the teacher's garbage can, which I had stuck behind the desk. The classroom full of students didn't notice, but one girl later asked if I was feeling OK.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2014

Given the current health concerns for enterovirus (and Ebola) as well as the upcoming flu season, districts should be so thankful that thse who are sick don't come in. You did the right thing.

9. Vince

Vince Rookie

Nov 6, 2014

I would have also called the school I was assigned to work.