Cancelled prep/specials

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by maestraraven96, Jun 29, 2019.

1. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jun 29, 2019

I am a middle school teacher and I have my own homeroom. What happens to you guys when your prep time is cancelled due to the prep teachers (dance, art, gym, library, etc) are cancelled due to needing to sub somewhere else? Do you let them have free time or create a lesson to teach them instead?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 29, 2019

Ours are either divided among the other specials (band, guitar, art, computers, pe/health) or those of us on planning cover the class. We typically don’t do the whole class so it is as little as 10 minutes when we all take turns. We have a team of 8 teachers.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2019

Most of the schools I taught at only had three specials. Because the kids usually were not allowed recess, I always took them outside when a special area was cancelled.
    It kind of made me feel like a rebel because the younger teachers were usually too nervous to take their kids outside, thinking they would get written up for giving recess.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2019

I continue with my day...there’s always something to do! Missed preps RARELY happen in my school and we get paid for the missed time.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2019

If it is Phys Ed that the kids are missing, I'll usually take them to the gym or outside. For other subjects, it usually ends up being a "Catch up" period. We do get missed prep time paid back, but it sometimes takes a few weeks.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 30, 2019

It was rare enough we went on with our day. We were usually forewarned, sometimes given options.

I think it's one thing to go with the flow when a special doesn't happen once in a blue moon. It's something else if it's a common occurrence.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2019

We made the best of the time and continued with our work or found a way to incorporate something else in there that needed work - I wouldn't consider doing anything else!

We do get paid for that missed time, though.

9. TheGr8Catsby

TheGr8Catsby Rookie

Jul 2, 2019

This has never happened at any school I've taught at, fortunately. They would stick an aide in the classroom before they cancelled a planning period.

Leaborb192, Backroads and bella84 like this.
  10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 5, 2019

If my school canceled my planning time without advance notice, I'd have an email drafted to my association before the school day was out, especially if they didn't find somebody to at least cover me long enough to go to the bathroom and run a couple copies. If a specials teacher is out and they don't have a sub for them, they'll usually either have an IA go in, have another specials teacher double up on classes (why THEY don't call the association about this is a question I can't answer), or pull a coach or something to sit in the room.