Cancelled my Pinterest account...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by swansong1, Jul 14, 2012.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

I have been doing research into copyright issues and Pinterest. Apparently, it is illegal to post or repost pics without the express consent of the original photographer. Pinterest expressly states that they will not be responsible for any of these issues.

I have decided that, in time, I'm worried that Pinterest will become another Napster and I don't wish to be sued.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

Most blogs give you permission to pin. Of course, not everything pinned has come from a blog......

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

Honestly, your Disney avatar probably breaks the same copyright laws.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

Actually, I found that in a free avatar site. But, it's time to change it anyways :)

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 14, 2012

On Pinterest you simply link to a picture on a website. You're not stating that you came up with that awesome recipe or that you took the picture. You're linking to the site, and it actually brings more traffic to them. Am I missing something?

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 14, 2012

No, I don't think you are.

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jul 15, 2012

On Pinterest, do you need to use your IRL name on your account as you are (supposed to do) on Facebook?

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

No. But you need a first and last name.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

I just use my first initial and last initial.

11. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

I heard that even watching Youtube videos unless specifically under an Artist's channel is the same thing.

That's why when PiPPA and SOPA happened, Wikipedia, Google, and such did the black out, if that makes sense. That is where they get their views/money.

I wouldn't worry about it.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

Yes, I wasn't clear. Sorry. I meant you need something in the first name box and last name box. :)

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

You heard wrong. Suppose you go to a concert, and the band plays a cover song to which they do not own the copyright. It's the band that will be in trouble, not the audience.

When you view content on the internet, you are the audience, not the performer. When you click on a link, you do not control what you will ultimately see, nor can you have any idea as to who owns the copyright.

14. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

That's what I was trying to explain Sarge. Thanks so much for clarifying! I am definitely NOT a legality expert, LOL!

It would be the uploader of the said photo or video who would be in trouble, yes?

Because surely, I can't see any group suing everyone who pinned a copyrighted photo. What a waste of money.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

If you search "Daily 5" on Pinterest, images of my Daily 5 board from 4 years ago come up multiple times. When you click on them, it takes you to someone's photo album (not mine). They must have somehow come across my picture on flickr, and saved it to their own pictures.

I'm sure I checked some sort of box somewhere along the way saying that someone could use my pictures, but part of me doesn't like it. I don't like how other people are "getting credit" for my ideas.

Other than that, I love Pinterest!

16. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

As long as anything you didn't create yourself links back to the original site, I think you're okay. It's people who save someone else's picture to their own desktop and then Pin it, that the controversy is about.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

That inadvertently happened to me as well, but the other end of it. I posted a pic and gave credit to the original author, however when it was repinned it was attributed to me. The pic does have the original website listed across it-but it does make me think twice about posting things like that in the future. I wasn't at all trying to take credit, just sharing a cool idea that I had found.

18. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 16, 2012

The law has to catch up to the media. I think there will be a lot of court cases before anything substantial happens.

It reminds me of the issue of potential employers wanting access to the Facebook accounts of applicants. Labor law is full of restrictions about what types of questions can be asked in interviews to avoid discriminination. ALL of those things that they can't ask - age, marital status, religion, children/no children - are readily available on people's FB pages. So HOW would a court uphold an employer's right to ask for access to the FB account? It seems detrimental to the employer to have it.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I know it was geared toward Pinterest, but the larger issue of what people can do with information on the internet interests me.