Cancelled class on second day!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by emerlyn, Aug 18, 2008.

1. emerlyn

emerlyn Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Well, living in Florida has caused another issue. We have canceled the 2nd day of school! Pretty much today was a waste! The only good thing is that I get a rest, and I got to see the kids. 5 of my 20 didn't come today either. Ah well.

3. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 18, 2008

My friend lives in Ft. Myers, she is off tomorrow too!

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 18, 2008

Volusia county closed schools Tuesday and Wednesday. We had staggered start for kindergarten, so I only had 7 today anyway. I won't get to see any of my other kids until Thursday due to the storm.

5. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Space Coast here....Cocoa Beach and we are closed also. All my eighteen showed up today and boy what a day! Can use the day off tomorrow....lol only problem is it will be like the first day all over again. . . hope this won't be like 2004 when it was like starting over again every week. . . First Charley, then Jeanne and Frances!

6. emerlyn

emerlyn Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Hi there!

I really hope it's a one time deal. I am bummed about having another first day- but it was kinda interesting to have a "sneak peak" at the students! I will spend time tomorrow gearing up for the rest of the year. I hope the storm passes and all is well! I don't want to lose any more days!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

Oh that was terrible in '04. More than a week off and then we had to start all over. And I got a new student first day back. Plus, almost nobody had electricity yet at home.

We are scheduled to start school on Wed. We just had to cancel Back to School Night (yay) and the teacher workday scheduled for tomorrow (double yay).

8. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

Oh I hope the whole start & stop thing doesn't happen. (Orlando here..) I found out today that my 1st graders are all low except one or two.. I have too much work to do to be missing days!

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 21, 2008

Don't live in Florida, but I have been thinking of my friends and family there- hope everyone is okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 21, 2008

I'm still okay over here (Deltona) but schools have been canceled yet again for Friday. Many of the roads here are flooded, thankfully not in my neighborhood. Hopefully by Monday it will all be over and we can get back in the swing of school mode, not storm mode.

11. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I'm in Lake County, Luckily it hasn't started to flood here yet, but it's pretty hilly here. The wind & rain is something to behold though. It hasn't stopped since Tuesday Night!

12. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 22, 2008

13. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

I'm suddenly stuck by sympathy for my mother - I've spent a few days trying to convince my little brothers not to go splashing around in the lake their backyard has turned into. They're going stir-crazy, and want to wrestle in the mud everytime the storm clears a bit.

I was in elementary school when Gordon hit back in '94 or so - the storm that forced my little subdivision to add dozens of retention ponds. I was on TV, helping my mom dig a trench from our backyard to the ditch. Once the work was done, there was nothing she could do to keep her little tomboy from exploring (canoing!) down the street while the schools were all closed. Hope she has a little more luck with the boys!