Canceling a Sub Job for a LTS Job

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by SCTeacher23, Nov 3, 2009.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Nov 3, 2009

I'm never one to cancel a subbing job for another subbing job, but I committed to subbing at a school on Thurs & Fri of this week that I've never been to before. But then a school that I really like and that I've established a relationship with had an emergency and wants me to start a LTS job tomorrow. They told me I was their first choice, but if I couldn't start tomorrow that they were going to ask someone else. Would it be horrible to cancel my subbing job on Thurs & Fri in the other school to take this one? I usually can't even get subbing 5 days a week and it would be great to have the security of knowing that I can work everyday and it's at a school I love. Plus, I am trying to get a full time teaching job and I would love to work at the school that offered me the LTS job. What are everyone's thoughts? I have to let them know soon, but I just don't want the other school or the district to get mad at me for canceling one job to take another job even though its a LTS job. Unfortunately, if I cancel, i would just cancel with the computer automated system and I wouldn't be able to explain the actual situation to someone.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 3, 2009

You're giving plenty of notice to the school if you do it now AND there are plenty of other subs who can take those two days. They'll just go back into the system and get snapped up in minutes. Don't feel guilty taking the better job!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

For a LTS job I definitely feel that it is appropriate to cancel per diem sub jobs. As catnfiddle said just cancel them and another sub will grab it. Congratulations on getting offered a LTS!

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2009

Normally, I would say that you should stay with your first commitment. In this case, however, this LTS job may lead to a full time position. With teacher positions so few and far between these days, you have to take advantage of this opportunity. Go for it and Good Luck!

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2009

You are giving plenty of notice - if you cancel right away. Just let them know you got a long term position. They will understand.

7. Simba

Simba Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

I agree with all of the previous posts.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Good Luck!

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Nov 4, 2009

I ended up canceling for the LTS job. That was what my initial thought was to do, but wanted to hear everyone's opinions first. I canceled the job last night and it got picked up only a few minutes after I canceled it, so I don't feel bad! Thanks for the advice everyone. I started the LTS job today and was able to do a lot of teaching, which was great!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2009

That's fantastic! How long is this gig?

10. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 7, 2009

Congratulations! I hope you have an enjoyable time in your LTS job.