Canceling a job

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teacherlife00, Sep 24, 2015.

1. teacherlife00

teacherlife00 New Member

Sep 24, 2015

Hello all,

I am new to subbing. I am subbing in two different school districts right now. This week I have had problems finding daycare for my son, and I had to cancel a few jobs on AESOP because of it. I got a call from our "substitute help desk lady" basically telling me that I put them in a situation where they had to scramble to find someone to fill the classroom, but each time I canceled the jobs were picked up again right away.

So, I guess what I am asking is does anyone have any tips about canceling jobs or what to do when you need to cancel a job? I obviously don't want to put the school in a scrambling situation, but I don't want to be yelled at every time life happens.

Thanks in advance.

3. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Sep 24, 2015

I hope your week gets better from here on out! Childcare issues are definitely not fun.

If you're using an automated system, there really isn't any great way to do it.You might try contacting someone in charge and trying to explain in an extreme situation, but a lot of districts can be pretty cut and dry.

Some districts will look for almost any reason to blacklist a sub. Cancellations tend to raise red flags, and the school may avoid listing you as a sub if they fear that cancellation will be a concern.Although it sounds like the district may have plenty of subs since the job was picked up quickly, they may be particularly picky about cancelling.

Overall, as long as it doesn't happen often, you should be fine. They were probably just a bit alarmed that so many were canceled in one week.

How far in advance were you canceling your jobs?

4. teacherlife00

teacherlife00 New Member

Sep 24, 2015

Canceling a sub job

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, this week I had to cancel morning- of, only because that's when I found out about my childcare issues. The coordinator did have a "chat" with me about canceling but said that the school secretary did not put me on an exclusion list, so I emailed her and just apologized for the unfortunate situation.

There are over 600 substitutes in this particular district, and I am sure they were just frustrated about canceling the morning of (which I understand) but I don't want to be blacklisted or penalized because of an unfortunate situation.

5. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Sep 24, 2015

Okay! You should be fine. Some things are just not within your control. I hope the situation improves!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 22, 2015

If you keep doing this it will definitely put you in a negative light. Could you possibly not accept a job until you have childcare squared away? Even if they aren't scrambling too much and are able to get subs eventually, it's probably frustrating to them.

7. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Oct 24, 2015

It all depends on how many subs they have. I just cancelled a job for next week and it was taken within 15 minutes. I had cancelled two days for one teacher last week and I mentioned it. She was not aware that I was originally scheduled, and had cancelled. Someone is only looking at cancellations if they are having trouble filling absences. Someone in the district would actually have to run a report of all cancelled jobs.

8. engineerkyle

engineerkyle Companion

Nov 11, 2015

i very rarely have to cancel, i like to 3 days notice