Canceled Field Trip: What to do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss W, May 20, 2011.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 20, 2011

Today's field trip has been canceled due to oncoming severe weather. So what do we do today? I'm going over a test that the students took with the substitute yesterday and doing some Arkansas History this morning. I know it's a disappointment to our kiddos and I hate to make it work, work, work. We need to do something fun!

Any suggestions for 24 boys who are going to be cooped up in a room today.

3. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

May 20, 2011

How about a movie? Or maybe you could Buddy-Up with the other 2nd Grade Class and do something fun together. Maybe Class Jeopardy?

Anyone else have some ideas?

4. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 20, 2011

Do anything you can--fun and academic--utilizing the theme of the field trip. Like zoo--do animal things. Picnic--have one in the classroom. Etc.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 20, 2011

What about a game day?!?! That could be fun.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 20, 2011

I think we're going to do a movie! We (I say we, but really my Librarian) found a really neat Jack and the Beanstalk movie that ties in with our current Fairy Tale/Folk Tale unit. I can pull kiddos to assess during this time as well. We'll watch in 30 min. increments, and then get up and do a brain break. They do need their movement. I'm thinking about pulling the tables to the side of the room to have a picnic when it's lunch time. Come to think of it, we may set up the chairs like a movie theater.

Thanks for all the ideas!

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 20, 2011

That'll be fun!!!

You could also talk about if there were any difference between the story & the movie. Or have the students draw a picture of the Giant first & see if their "image" matches the movie...

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

Sounds like a great day despite the cancelled trip.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 20, 2011

We had a field trip planned about a month ago. 2 days before you could tell that it was going to be cold & rainy, no way was it going to miss us. We made a quick decision to change our field trip from an outdoor trip to an indoor trip. Thankfully, we found somewhere that could take us on such short notice! We would have been miserable if we had stuck with our orginal plans.

Now, hoping that our next field trip will go off as planned. It's a theater trip with a stop at the local park for lunch & fun. The forecast is calling for rain. . .we may have to skip the park part.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 20, 2011

Hopefully it won't be raining next Friday, but unfortunately it may. This is a huge event that the community comes and helps us with, and most of it needs to be outdoors.