Canadian Teachers!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by just-n-educator, Aug 31, 2006.

1. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 31, 2006

Hello All,

I am a new in Canada (moved from the States) and I realized that this is a wonderful site for teachers, but most of the teachers on this forum are in the States. So it is hard to get help because they are not aware of the rules and regulations in Canada. So I just want to give and get help for teachers that teach in Canada. We all do benefit from each others lesson plans ideas, classroom management, just venting about being a teacher...etc.,etc. :p

The reason for this post is:

I just wanted to start a post for teachers that know about being a teacher in Canada and for teachers that need help becoming a teacher in Canada!!! There might be teachers in the states that can help us :D because they have had experience in Canada. I have started this Post so that we can help each other out, especially those that are in Canada that have been there and done that or will be planing to in the future :confused: . Please feel free to add any comments, opinions, questions and experiences that you might have had in Canada, so you will be helping each other out. Thanks ;)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2006

I'll be glad to help out with any quetions you may have.

4. swarna

swarna Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

Just like you I am new to CANADA. I am a teacher trained in India and licenced to teach In Ontario.

Recently I attended an interview for elementary position and was asked many questions on classroom management and differentiated instruction. I am repeating some of the questions here. Please feel free to help me out by answering in your own way. As I am new to Canadian system I was n't sure of some of the answers .

1. Why do you want ot be on the occassional list with our Board?
    2. Tell us about Differentiated Instruction and how will you implement it in your classroom?
    3. I f a group of students keep on talking throught out despite telling them not to talk what steps will you take to control them?

These are some of the questions I remember right now. In future I will be posting more. Please try to help me out.

5. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

I am Canadian!

I would also be happy to help you out. I am a born and raised Canadian so I know the system from my own experiences in school as well as from a teachers perspective.

Let me know what you need. :)

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 1, 2006

Question for you experienced Canadian Teachers--I know the first few days is review work, but how do you know what kind of review work to give them. Do you go over the previous year's curriculum and choose from that or do you do placement testing like Brigance? My sister in law is Spec Ed and she does the Brigance at the beginning of every year, but would that be appropriate for a regular class?

7. mrsrooney

mrsrooney Rookie

Sep 1, 2006

I do look at the previous year's curriculum but also with language and math you can basically take what you are planning to teach and simplify it for the first few days or weeks. E.g. Grade one - kids should know the letters of the alphabet and sounds and read simple repetitive text but I spend a little while assessing these things to see where they are individually as some may be below or above grade level.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2006

I give a diagnostic spelling test (we use Morrison-McCall, but there are lots out there). For math, I give a diagnostic I was given years ago that is basically increasing difficult computation; I also give "mad minutes" all 4 operations. I also have them do a short writing sample (self-edited). As far as reading goes, we do DRA on all of our Junior and Intermediate students at the end of September, beginning of October--this gives you an oral reading score as well as comprehension and higher-level thinking skills.

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 1, 2006

Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I will take note and prepare.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2006

Good luck with your interviews!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2006

I have copies of several things at school...if you're stuck I could fax them to you next week.

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 1, 2006

Thanks so much! I'll keep that in mind. My sister in law gave me the Brigance placement test and it seems to be very similar to what you describe. I'll let you know how it worked out.

13. herins

herins Companion

Sep 2, 2006

Hello, all you Easterners! I seem to be alone out here in Alberta.

Mrs. C answered the questions pretty much how I would have. Differentiation is definitely an important thing to think about and know.

14. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Hello fellow canucks!
    Have you seen the new Language curriculum??? A lot more detailed than before.
    I have to teach gym this year for the first time in 10 years. Any suggestions? (grade1 )

15. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Sep 2, 2006

Just wanted to say a big hi and hello! herins, you are not the only westerner, but we do seem to be underrepresented (as usual:D JK)

16. jamie_a

jamie_a Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

I'm from SK. We can be alone in the west together :p

I just joined today and so far I am getting all kinds of tips and hints. I am just starting my teacher education program (next week, actually, :eek: ). Luckily I have experience with Early Childhood Education and I have a few Teacher Ed. classes under my belt. Anyone else from SK out there?

17. just-n-educator

Sep 2, 2006

Grade 1 Gym!

Make them run around and keep them really busy so when they come to class they are paying attention. But don't get them so tired that they fall asleep in class.:D

18. just-n-educator

Sep 2, 2006

Assessments!

Mrs. C

Do you teach 1st grade? If so can you please e mail or fax the assessments that you use in your classroom PLEASE!!!!!!!! :D

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 2, 2006

Hi herins,

I am from Alberta and will be moving back in June. How do the job prospects look in Alberta? I was hoping to move to St. Albert, Edmonton, Calgary or maybe even Camrose.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2006

I had a glance of the new Ontario Language curriculum at a workshop this summer. I have also downloaded a copy, but haven't really looked too closely at it yet. I know that we haven't received it yet at school, so am curious as to when we are supposed to start implementing it--last year we started the year with the old math curriculum then switched to the new one second term. I wonder what is going to happen with report cards now that there are 4 language strands instead of 3?

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2006

I only have Junior and Intermediate stuff in my room; I'll check with some of the Primary teachers early next week and see what I can get my hands on.

22. Springdruidess

Springdruidess Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Yet another westerner in the mix!

I'm in Calgary - last year of teacher education right now - and at least as far as Calgary goes, the CBE keeps telling us that there are lots of jobs available - and will only be more to come in the next year or two (or three) thanks to the latest collective bargaining agreement. Can't speak for Edmonton or others but it seems to me that most of the province is looking for teachers.

BTW - rather unrelated but I did my first degree in Camrose - its a pretty cool little city.

23. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Hello ! :)

I'm in Quebec. I teach a grade 1 and 2 combined class in an international private school. Most of my students come from a French canadian family, like myself ! :p

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 2, 2006

Thanks for the information Springdruidess!

I will be sending out my resumes in October and hoping that I could get an interviewed in December. I haven't seen snow in 2.5 years, so I hope I am called for an interview then -- actually I should be hoping that there will be snow in December:). If I don't get a call in December, I won't be moving back to Alberta until the end of June. Maybe they will do a phone interview.... I heard subbing was pretty good in Calgary, but I am not looking forward to getting an evening job. I haven't worked evenings since University many, many moons ago.

25. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Sep 2, 2006

ME ME ME! PICK ME! I'M from SK lol I figured I was the only one. I've been teaching 11 years in our lovely province.

26. herins

herins Companion

Sep 3, 2006

Hello! I am not positive about the job prospects here but there's a really good site for watching postings: http:/educationcanada.com/ If you decide to move to Edmonton or St.Albert, make sure you check out all the surrounding school boards (Elk Island, Blackgold, Parkland). Just so you know, real estate here is about half the price of anything in Calgary right now. Do you speak French, by any chance??

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 3, 2006

Hi herins, the last time I took a french class was in the 12th grade. Right now I am just looking for a job but I would like to move back to my old stomping grounds. I grew up in St. Albert and then moved to Edmonton. I will be willing to move anywhere that is driving distance from Edmonton and St. Albert but Calgary will be furthest that I will move. I have to live by a city if not in the city. I had a friend who taught in Camrose for a couple of years and she said it reminded her of St. Albert. I have lived in Georgia for over 2 years and I just want to move back home where I know where things are, no traffic jams, smog...

Thanks for the website.

28. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 3, 2006

We already have the new language curriculum in our school. I was looking through it this weekend--I like it. Is that the only thing that's new since the last couple of years? I was wondering because they gave me the new Language one, but as for the others, I have the ones I got from teacher's college two years ago. Someone asked about phys ed. I have to teach it too for the first time--Grade 7--What would be a good first day lesson for that? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2006

The math curriculum was revised last year...there are some fairly significant changes so you should get hold of it. As far as Phys Ed goes, I've never taught grade 7 (only up to grade 6), but you will need to spend some time establishing your expectations--Do they change? What do they do when they come into the gym? I was always very clear with my gym classes about my expectations as far as sportsmanship and participation were concerned. You could start off the year by establishing baselines for an ongoing fitness development program (# of sit-ups, pushups, cardio etc.). Have fun!
    Aren't you glad you aren't planning for French?

30. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 3, 2006

Thanks, MrsC! I already had gym expectations prepared from Teachers college so that's all set to go and it addresses everything possible for gym. I'll have to do more research about what timeline is usually followed in phys ed (I know there are certain times for certain sports, etc....). About the French....you don't know how glad I am. Actually, it's not the planning since now I have a store of things I tried last year that I know can work, but it's the constant struggle with the students in class that I won't miss. From talking to the staff at school, I don't expect many behaviour issues at all. It is a small country school of about 200 and the principal has a very low tolerance for bad behaviour and already told me he will support tough discipline. The rest of the staff seems to concur, so the consistency will be good.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2006

See...good things do come to those who wait!

32. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

Hello fellow canuks!

Hi everyone,
    I'm in Ontario (GTA) but I'm a transplanted Newfie! As for that new language curriculum - wow! Pretty detailed, isn't it? I don't do any inservicing on it until Sept. 14, though. I've only skimmed through up until now.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2006

Okay, now I really want my new Language curriculum, but I haven't even seen it in the school. I have IEPs to write in the next month, and I need to know whether I am supposed to be using the new expectations (I'm sure I am!).

34. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 4, 2006

MrsC, I have a question for you....

About math....I vaguely remember how it's supposed to go, but I'm not sure--is it that you have to touch on two strands per term and every strand twice? Could you outline how you teach your math (what order you teach your strands/topic) This would really help me. Thanks.

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2006

At our school...at least 3 strands per term and report on each twice. I have a good outline, but it's at school. I'll send it to you tomorrow. Have fun your first day!!!

36. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

Our Board (durham) expects you to report on 3 math strands for term 1 and 2 and 4 strands for the last term. Number Sense must be reported on each term. It's the science I struggle to fit it all in!!!!!

37. swarna

swarna Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

For sure, I would love that. Since I am an internationally trained teacher I am looking forward to meet and discuss with teachers who have Canadian experience.

38. swarna

swarna Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

Thank you. I am happy to know that you are a teacher from Canada. I am very happy that you are ready to help us out. I am an internationally trained teacher licenced to teach the Intermediate division History and ESL.

The licensing teachers college has asked me to do the ABQ courses in senior or junior division before I take up any Aq courses. Now I have registered for ABQ in Junior division and one of my friends suggested me to take courses in Special education as well.

Is it a good thing to go for spl education. Can you suggest some thing good based on my background.

39. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 5, 2006

Another question...how do you grade phys ed??

40. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 5, 2006

I can only answer to the phys. ed. question. Where I teach, the phys. ed. teacher has developed his own marking system but its fairly simple. He marks on two things: skills (whatever skill for whatever sport he happens to be teaching that marking period)& participation/sportsmanship. He carries around a clipboard with a class list & makes his notes on it during class. I believe he marks each category out of five for every class and then totals at the end of the marking period. He says it balances out. Those with no-so-great sports skills can still have a decent-good mark if they actively participate/attempt everything and have a good attitude. Those with great skills and know-it-all/nasty attitudes get taken down a peg or two. For our school, it works. (I should probably add though that this is a private school, not public.)

41. just-n-educator

Sep 5, 2006

Curriculum & Assessment help for 1st grade!

I need help!!! I am a first grade teacher for the first time in Canada. I am in a private school, who basically handed me the website for the curriculum and said GO TEACH!!! :eek: I know that they want to follow the curriculum and because I got the job only a week or so ago before school started, I really did not get a chance to go over the curriculum. Anyway, I need to know what it is that the children need to know by the end of the 1st term?:confused: I think if I can get some guidelines I can start to plan. Also do you know if there are assessments which I can use to assess them, because we are again suppose to come up with our own. (I was thinking of using my assessment from Kindergarten in Florida). They said I can order workbooks for math maybe (Math Makes Sense) has anyone ever used it? :eek: Oh and something called the speller for spelling? And phonics workbook from Scholastic? Those are the ones I have been told to get or have already. Anyone has any experience with any of them? Any help will be appreciated, so please help :)!