Canada Questions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by jd019, Nov 18, 2006.

1. jd019

jd019 Companion

Nov 18, 2006

We are starting a Canada unit on Monday. My kids will be doing a huge Canada project that involves a lot of research. I wanna throw in a food day or game day and allow them to explore the Canadian culture. Any input or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 18, 2006

Well, Canada is hugely muticultural, but for food, what comes to mind is poutine which is popular with the French Canadian Culture in Quebec and parts of Ontario (this is fries, smothered in gravy and melted curd chese). Games....hockey is very big in Canada. It's really hard to explore Canadian culture because there is no single culture that is 'Canadian'.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 18, 2006

For a sport, you could do curling.

I am stumped on food. Maple syrup maybe... If you don't have curd cheese for the poutine, you could substitute mozzarella cheese - I have never had the real thing.

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 18, 2006

Broomball and lacrosse is also something I just thought of. Broomball is big with the country kids at my school. Lacrosse, I believe is mostly popular with the natives (we live near a native reserve) but you would have to research to make sure that is correct, I'm not positive. I just know that at my last school which had a large native population, lacrosse was a big thing with them.

Maple syrup is a good one, I didn't think of that. Also, thinking of the French Canadian culture....baked beans and tourtiere (aka meat pie)

6. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 18, 2006

I always thought that hockey was our national sport, but lacrosse is.

its a fun game that requires lots of catching passing and running skills that must keep the ball moving at all times. hard for some, but fun for many.

Mr. Skinner :D

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 18, 2006

Mmmm tourtiere, but I am totally craving poutine now :)!! Maybe I will go home for Christmas...

8. oldsoccerlady

oldsoccerlady Rookie

Nov 18, 2006

When I grew up in Canada, fries with salt and vinegar instead of ketchup were popular.

9. jd019

jd019 Companion

Nov 19, 2006

Thanks everyone! These are some great ideas.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 19, 2006

Anyone from Newfoundland ever drink "Screech"??? It's well named! Though certainly NOT appropriate in a school setting! Here's a little about it:
    http://www.screechrum.com/home.asp

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2006

I'm not from Newfoundland, but I had Screech once at the Quebec Winter Carnival--once was enough, never again; I'm far too old for that now!:D

12. musicbean

musicbean Rookie

Nov 20, 2006

Screech!

I'm a Newfoundlander by birth and I have had Screech only once - never again! My husband can drink it with coke, but I think he's nuts.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 20, 2006

Do they do pasties in Canada, or is that just northern Michigan and Minnesota?

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2006

To answer your question...what are pasties? One thing to remember is that Canada is a huge country and one really can't make generalizations. Large cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are very culturally diverse, with large immigrant populations. Quebec, of course, has it's own unique "French Canadian" culture. The area in Saskatchewan where my parents were born was originally settled by immigrants from Germany and Russia; my husband's mother was from another area in Saskatchewan which was settled by English and Scottish; his father from an area that was primarily Ukranian. It's really difficult to define a "Canadian culture".