Can your students have a water bottle at school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissJill, Feb 8, 2012.

?

Are students able to have water bottles at your school?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    82.7%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

Our new principal this year recently banned water bottles at the school, but he did it without letting the parents know. He just wanted the teachers to enforce this new rule starting Jan. 1st. (teachers did not agree, however he is our boss). At the last board of ed meeting angry parents came forward. I do realize that it is common to have water bottles banned, but I'm just wondering how many people actually work at a school where they are banned. Also, are you in an elementary, middle, or high school?

Our school is so incredibly hot and the air is dry that it is impossible for me to go throughout the day without a bottle of water at my desk.

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2012

Are you sure there is no law against this?
    Our students can have water bottles with them. Many students bring them. I'm alright with other drinks too, like coffee or tea, as long as it's not a distraction. I'm fine with them eating a small snack, like a granola bar, during class if necessary, but it can't be a distraction.
    I always have water and tea with me. I need them to get through the day because I talk so much. I understand food and other drinks being banned, even though most teachers in my school are fine with it, but I don't understand why water would be banned. Is he giving any reasoning?

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

He gave no reasoning. The only time we heard his reason was when he was interviewed for the article they released about it yesterday.

I would love to give more details, but I'm not comfortable at this time. I really don't get him.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 8, 2012

I would actually really like it if they did that. I now have banned them for an indefinite period in 2/6 classes because they constantly leave the empty bottles on my floor. The class knows that if I find them after they leave, then they will NOT be allowed to bring them again.

I teach 7-12. I honestly don't have that many that bring them. In 3 or 4 of my classes I have between 1-3 kids that actually bring them. In 2 of my classes it's practically the whole class and guess which ones leave them on my floor :rolleyes:

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2012

Our students are encouraged to have a refillable water bottle at school. We are currently asking students to help design a logo for aluminum water bottles we'll sell as a fundraiser.

I carry my water bottle with me throughout the day and I don't have a problem with the kids doing the same.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2012

Nope. I'm at middle school. There have been issues throughout my county with water bottles being filled with vodka... including one of my former 7th graders.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2012

We live in hot, tropical Florida and our children our encouraged to drink as much as possible. We provide water everywhere around the school for children who don't bring water bottles. Around here, it is really a health issue not to stay hydrated.

9. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2012

Our students are not allowed to have them. However, I let them have water bottles in the classroom.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2012

We allow our students to have water bottles. I understand the reason of not allowing them if students are mixing alcohol though.

11. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

We have had no issues with alcohol, he basically said it was a distraction. (and a water bottle is definitely not a distraction in my room, it's necessity) Now raising their hand to go get a drink every few minutes...that's a distraction.

12. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Feb 8, 2012

Our students are encouraged to have them. I don't allow my students to have them at their desks, however, because it's a big distraction for them. They are kept by the sink in the back of the room. They are allowed to get up and go to the back of the room to have a quick drink at any time, except when I'm in the middle of teaching.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Feb 8, 2012

It's up to the teacher at my school. I am in a portable so I allow them bc running into the building for a drink takes forever.

14. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

Oh and I'd like to add that they can have their water bottles in their locker. Makes no sense. And if you get a written doctors note you can have it all the time.

15. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Feb 8, 2012

Our students can have a water bottle, but they are encouraged to bring the reusable ones since they tend to leave the plastic bottles in the room otherwise. They are only allowed to have water since we have carpet throughout our school.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

Technically mine are not supposed to have water or anything in classrooms, but I don't enforce this. I would never tell a kid he couldn't have water.

17. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Feb 9, 2012

Students are encouraged to bring a water bottle. I'd have a problem if they were banned.

18. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 9, 2012

Of course students are allowed to have water bottles. Is idiocy now required for administrative certification?

Honestly, this kind of makes me angry. I wish the students would arrive so I could start to have some fun.

19. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 9, 2012

I believe my administrator majored in idiocy. There is so much more I want to say, but I won't.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

Oh, please tell. It's what we all live for here. It's the oxygen that gets me through the day.

And since we are discussing idiocy, you know I can't help but chime in.

Any administrator who cannot tell if a student is consuming or has consumed alcohol should not be in charge of any organization that has the word "school" in it's title.

I worked at a school where we had a staff member who was drinking on the job. We all knew by her behavior and the smell when she sat down next to you at a staff member. And this was a person with years of experience at hiding her alcoholism.

A 13 year old will not be that savvy. I'll bet that if you give one kid a beer at lunch time, and send him to his 4th period class, any teacher with half a brain would be able to tell which student out of thirty was the one who drank the beer.

What makes your administrator's policy even more asinine is the simple fact that if a child want's to bring alcohol to school, and cannot do so by sneaking vodka into a water bottle, it will take them about 30 seconds to figure out some other way to do it. And they will probably find a way much harder to detect than the old vodka in the water bottle trick. Putting the vodka in a Capri Sun bottle in your lunch box would be way better. They also package applesauce in a pouch with a screw top. All you need is a funnel and you basically have a reusable flask. I've been thinking of doing this myself (not going to work, of course,) since the residual applesauce might even add a very nice flavor to the Irish whiskey I replace it with.

21. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Feb 9, 2012

Our students cannot have those plastic disposable ones. They have to have ones that can be washed and reused, like nalgene or those metal ones.

22. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 9, 2012

So many rules. I think there are much bigger fish for administration to fry! Federal Regulations mandate that children in schools have access to drinking water at all times. Either you let them have bottles of water (no biggie if it is reusable or not) or you let them get up and down disrupting class time. My two kids have had water bottles with them since they started school (I currently have a high schooler and a fifth grader). When they forget their reusable bottle we use plastic until the metal one can be found. I would have a huge problem as a parent if they were not allowed to have water with them. I am not fond of the nutritional content of capri suns/juice or even the sugar milk (strawberry and chocolate) that is served at school. As a parent it has taken years to train my kids to eat well and drink well. Water is the best drink for anyone! We should be promoting water as much as possible. I would love to see the federal school lunch program serve water instead of juice or milk. I hated when I taught preschool that the school served what the students refered to as "sugar water" for two snacks and lunch everyday. It was made of high frutose corn syrup, food coloring, juice, ect... I would so much rather they served a big glass of ice water! It would be so much better for the students to get used to drinking water with every meal.

23. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Feb 9, 2012

I would think that every student could get a doctors note for water because every doctor would agree with keeping hydrated.

24. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 9, 2012

A number of teachers here have banned the disposable bottles from their rooms for environmental reasons. (Members of the Environmental Club - so earnest! - made signs for them.) These are the same teachers who teach with their lights off: :unsure:. More power to them, I reckon. Those sightless fish seem to do fine, and moles abound.

I think I do see more reusable bottles lately, so maybe something good is coming of their efforts. I still keep my lights on, though, unregenerate sinner that I am.

25. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 9, 2012

Sarge, I would love to tell all of the things going on with this administrator, but because it has come to the point of having an attorney, I won't....yet.

He has been completely inappropriate to me and other staff members on several occasions.

This whole water bottle came around because he observed me, the lesson when flawlessly, and the one thing that he saw was that 1. my kids had water bottles (that they were not distracted by) and 2. one kid was eating their breakfast.

He then told a student who asked why some can have water and snacks but others can't and he told them it's because those students are students with 'problems'.

The girl in my room went 4 months without anyone knowing that she was even eating breakfast everyday until that. Now they think she has problems.

26. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Feb 9, 2012

Nope

High school here, and they are not supposed to have any food or drink at any time except in the lunch room during lunch, even after school activities. It was banned because someone brought vodka. I hate it, I think it's stupid.

27. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

I'm not sure what our school policy is, but we have a water fountain right in the classroom so students don't usually bring them in. If they do they must keep it by the sink. That's just my preference because I don't want to worry about them spilling water. (4th grade)

28. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

I'm not sure what my stance is on water bottles, it definitely would vary from grade to grade and depend on the access to drinking water in the classroom but...I just want to add that as a child I never had a water bottle in school (neither did any of my classmates) occasionally a student would ask to go to the water fountain down the hall and would be permitted, but usually we asked only during gym. No one died, no one was dehydrated, it was never even brought up as an issue. If a child was maybe getting over an illness or coughing a lot they might have a water bottle near them for a day or two.

29. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 10, 2012

The issue seems to be exclusion of teachers and parents in the decision making process. Mandating change can often lead to apathy if not revolt. Perhaps a meaningful discussion aimed at pros and cons of water bottles backed by data might lead to a more popular decision. This in turn might lead to addressing classroom disruptions/distractions in general and generate shared ideas which maximize student engagement. The principal's idea, reduce distractions, is in the right place and should be commended. His delivery system to get the message out could be suspect.

30. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 10, 2012

Data? Water bottles? I googled it: not much there. We'll just have to fly by the seat of our pants on this one, abandon ourselves data-free to wild bacchanalian flights of speculation. Down with empiricism; up with people! Smash the state; free Angela Davis! Om!

(If your students are distracted by bottles, you have bigger fish to fry, don't you?)

On the other hand, I too grew up before the the era of obsessive hydration, suffered no shriveling other than the expected, and have grown to be a productive member of society.

31. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 10, 2012

Commended for saying there was an issue of distraction when there wasn't? Commended for now creating an issue of distraction when most children are now raising their hands and asking to leave my room for a drink? I almost feel like I can't say no because of the heat and dry air in the room. I know when I am up there teaching my throat goes dry and I need a drink. I have a bottle of water, because I am unable to leave my classroom to go get a drink.

The way he came to this decision was wrong. He made an assumption based on an observation, then decided he no longer wanted water bottles, and then told us at a faculty meeting that this was a community decision and he would like us to be the ones to enforce it. At the meeting several teachers said that did not agree, he talked down to them, and then told him he expected their support in this 'community decision'. Where the heck was this community? If you are an administrator and you make a decision like this, fine. But then you enforce it. You send a letter home with your name and you enforce it in the building. I would be happy to enforce this policy if it was handled that way, because at least then parents wouldn't be coming to me, asking me why I have banned water bottles. I was not allowed to say that my administrator made the decision. He kept his name off of everything and depended on the staff to be the bad guys.

It's absolutely ridiculous.

32. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 10, 2012

Stepping aside from my usual mask of facetiousness: yes, it is absolutely ridiculous.

33. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2012

Our kids are encouraged to bring them and snacks as well. I don't mind the water bottles but the snacks drive me nuts. Most kids bring full meals. We're not supposed to let them bring "unhealthy" snacks, but then the teachers feel bad about not letting the kids eat what they have when everyone else is eating. If kids don't bring something, the teachers feel bad and send them to an office for a snack, and the office promptly runs out of boxes upon boxes of snacks in two days. Where is that budget money coming from?Some classrooms have two snacks. The kids eat big lunches and breakfast is provided free of charge at school. Most kids literally eat 3x as much as I do all day just at school. I think it's gotten a little ridiculous and I'm not sure it's teaching them good eating habits.

34. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Feb 10, 2012

At our school students are allowed to have water bottles. Soda, juice, and other various beverages are allowed too but they have to be in a closed container.

35. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 10, 2012

Again, commended for placing emphasis on classroom distractions. Open for debate is what constitutes a distraction? One could argue while bottled water may save time out of seat to get a drink it could, also, promote more trips to the restroom which may take more time. In any event, there are means to collect data regarding distractions so at a minimum the discussion could be objective versus "no reason" or "assumption".

On a side note some school districts have moved away from allowing plastic bottles while not banning environmentally and health-safe containers. Some reasons cited were kids using the same disposable plastic bottle over and over where researchers found bacteria to traces of fecal matter, litter and saving petroleum (used to make plastic).

36. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 10, 2012

Well here is another classroom distraction created by this mess. Many kids are now going to the nurse with headaches and chapped lips. (seriously) My classroom on a good day is between 80-82 degrees with forced hot air. I do my best to keep the windows open, but that creates a mess because everything flies around the room.

I would agree with banning plastic water bottles, BUT that wasn't the issue, it was the drink itself. It didn't stem from a problem in the classroom, it stemmed from having nothing negative to say about an observation so here let me say this. He tried to imply that I was the only class in the school with water bottles, which was quite un true. That is why there was an uproar at the faculty meeting.

37. mkate

mkate Comrade

Feb 10, 2012

Could you provide a pitcher of water and cups at the back of the room?

38. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 10, 2012

Again with the data gathering. Just let 'em have their water bottles and move on to something that matters.

Speaking of which: Did you just bring up fecal matter? I see you your fecal matter and raise you a red herring!

39. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2012

Our kids have to have them, actually, since drinking water is so important, and this prevents constant trips outside for water.

40. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Feb 10, 2012

I will look into something like this. Good suggestion!

41. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2012

I encourage water bottles!! That is absolutely absurd that they're banned.