Can you tell me some desired fifth grade incentives?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by heavens54, Jul 17, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

Like free time, extra recess, be first in line to lunch, priveleges in the classroom, teacher helper? Pencils, erasers, Jolly Ranchers; What are some of the incentives fifth graders LOVE to receive?

3. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Food, time with friends, jolly ranchers are a good one

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2010

Any opportunity to have social time with friends and any type of food usually work well (one of my grade 5 classes would do almost anything for sour gummy worms!:lol:)

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 17, 2010

mechanical pencils, keychains, noise makers (whistles etc...), signing their name on a window, eating lunch with friends in the classroom, bringing in a cd or showing a video clip, computer time, teaching the class, getting a drink whenever they want, sitting on a stool or using the teacher's chair, positive phone call home, caring for classroom pets, (suckers, gum)

You may want to have the students help you with the list. That way there will be buy in! Although I didn't have students help with my list last year, they were always able to choose from 40 things. They also could pick things not on the list...but I don't think anyone ever did. :D

6. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

Homework pass

computer free time

lunch with friend in classroom

I agree with letting them help you brainstorm some ideas!

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 25, 2010

Two prizes I added to Homeworkopoly last year that were a huge hit: sit in the teacher's chair and chew gum for the day.

The chewing gum came with lots of ...but only's. Only in My classroom, only if I was teaching in my classroom, and only two pieces - one before lunch and one after. I supplied the gum; I always have it for my niece.

Another one that some kids liked was going to read a book to the Ks. And some liked to tell a joke to the class.

8. tchrmommy1

tchrmommy1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

My students will do ANYTHING for a little sucker (like a DumDum).

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 25, 2010

Candy, mechanical pencils, fancy pencils, silly bands, computer time, and jobs! My students ask me all of the time if they can clean different parts of the room, especially the blackboard. The thing I like about 4th/5th graders is they can wait longer for reinforcers.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2010

They are still easy to please at this age.
    For whole class rewards, popcorn parties are great- stick in a science video (we watch all the Planet Earth videos since biomes are a huge part of our curriculum) and they are happy :)

11. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 26, 2010

Mine like to sit with a friend for a day, sit in the library for the day (using a clipboard for writing activities), jolly ranchers, homework passes, eating lunch with a friend in another class, helping in a K class, and choosing from the treasure box

12. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Homework pass. My kids love homework passes. Also, if the kids have earned it, I'll turn on a kids radio station for the last hour of the day...they live for that hour...it's great!

13. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Aug 4, 2010

My kids LOVED kickball, popsicles, getting to go help the cafeteria ladies (?? weird, but true), I let my kids come up with an idea (as long as it doesnt cost me too much - I always tell them that my husband thinks I treat them better than him, and if Im getting them treats, they have to do well in class and on the state tests) we come up with something and we earn letters when kids have a good day!

14. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Aug 9, 2010

I usually don't like giving candy. Actually, I don't even think I'm allowed to do that.

-One of the best ones, if you're willing to eat in the classroom, is to let a few students and one or two of their friends eat in the classroom. If you have a TV, they can relax and eat with you in the room. A lot of teachers do this on a designated day, like Fridays.

-Music playing in the classroom is another good one.

-Sit anywhere in the room. Some kids will flop on the floor or curl up in a corner. This is good if you have cushions, pillows, a big stuffed animal, special chairs or even a sofa in your room. Students will like this one especially when they have a writing assignment or free-reading.

-Computer time (even if it's an educational website) is a reward most students enjoy.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2010

I had a fifth grader last year and the two most popular things her teacher did were 1.- if a whole class earned an incentive, they got a "choose your own seat day," with the understanding, of course, that there is no fighting over seats, seats are first come, first-served, and yoiu may not move a seat after you see where your friends sit. and 2. as an individual incentive, she had a neat area right off her room that she called the porch - she put rocking chairs and a mailbox, etc, and she allowed the kids to earn time on the porch, only during times of the day where she could sit in a place where she could see the porch and the rest of the class, all at once. They could take a friend, and then read out there, talk quietly, or draw...or just chillax.

16. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Two words: homework pass. And, I agree with all the other great ideas on this thread so far.

17. kapdel

kapdel Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

My students love homework passes and bathroom passes.