Can you tell me if I am wrong to feel disrespected?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 18142014, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

Hello,
    I am a new member. I would like to explain the situation and get your advice because I am new, this was my very first teaching job at a private school and I am not sure if this is how things are suppose to work or not.

I was unofficially hired as a Computer Technology instructor at a local private school, I say "unofficially" because I never signed a contract. I did complete a W-4 form. I went to the professional development trainings for two days at the urging of the Principal. However the training required log-in credentials for software programs that I did not have, so I sit there and watched others complete the training. I attended the opening/Welcome day in which I saw my classroom for the first time. The room designated as a computer lab (my classroom) was not a classroom, but filled with thousands of books as it was previously a book storage room, and I was encouraged to clear these books out in order to get the room ready. I was overwhelmed because I could not complete this task by myself as it was literally thousands of books on floor to ceiling shelves. Several teachers feeling sorry for me helped as much as they could. Maintenance eventually cleared some books, but by the time the first day of school rolled around, the room was still in disarray and full of books. They did bring new computers in boxes but it was not set up, and the equipment was all over the place. Some things were missing and I could not set it up if I wanted to. Again, I was overwhelmed. I was given a white board but it was not set up and still in the box. It was extremely heavy and I didn't want to try to take it out and break it. I was given nice desks but they were stacked on top of each other and I could not physically set the room up by myself. So essentially on the first day of school, all of the other instructors had their white boards and other instructional materials set up, while I was left to teach in a makeshift library with frustrated students sitting on the floor and on computer desks. I was extremely frustrated and felt disrespected. Did I have a right to feel this way? Or is there a legitimate explanation for this?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 12, 2014

You certainly have a right to feel that way. The school is responsible for doing things like setting up your room with the basic things you need to teach your class. (desks, whiteboards, etc.)

I would talk to your office manager about getting a few custodians or handymen to help you put up the whiteboards. You may just have to set up the computers by hand, but you can also ask for a tech guy to make sure they're integrated into your system correctly.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 12, 2014

Welcome to the world of education. Yes, you have a right to feel this way. But, don't expect anyone to care. The first year I ever taught I was led to an old closet with no materials. When I went home that night I cried my eyes out. The next day was parent/teacher conferences. A parent went off on administration because she was not going to let her special needs child be educated in an environment like that. SHE made things happen for me. Administration knew what they were giving me. Did they care? Not a bit.

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

The school should have taken care of all of that for you.

How you feel about it is up to you, but if this is the way the school handles situations like this all the time for everyone who doesn't speak up (or for even those that do), it is not a personal slight or personal disrespect.

6. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

That's the thing, I will have to pay someone with my own money to set up this classroom because the equipment is just to heavy. THIS IS NOT FAIR. I am seriously thinking about resigning. And the students are looking at me like a failure because they have to sit on the floor. There were no CHAIRS for students to sit in! And we have several physically challenged students in this class as well. This is ridiculous! Can you tell me why they felt the need to make sure every other teacher had their classroom set up and not mine? Why even hire me?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2014

Have you asked the administration if they can arrange some help for you?

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

You are an overwhelmed new teacher so I will not give you a speech about standing up for yourself.

However, you asked if there was a legitimate explanation for this. No, there isn't, other than a lazy administration.

And, a new teacher who was too afraid to stand up to administration and get things done.

I don't want to be mean, but you will have a short career unless you learn to be more aggressive...that may not be the right word...outspoken might be a better word.

Next time (or next work day if you don't quit), make the admin come to your room. Explain that you were hired to do a job and give them your list of things that need to be done...BY THEM...to get your room ready. Your list begins with those items I have highlighted in red.

I hope you are able to get your year going and have a successful experience.

9. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

I have asked on numerous occasions. Its always "tomorrow" it will happen. Well school has already started. I am a computer technology teacher without a computer lab to teach with. What kind of crap is that? I know that I need to pitch in and help too, but it doesn't seem fair that I have to clear an entire library of books all by myself.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2014

No, no, no. Do not pay a cent out of your own pocket. A school like this does not have the best interests of its employees or its students at heart. Keep looking for another job and wait it out there until you have one. Do not offer to install anything in the room; they need to hire people for that. I worked at a very small, private school for over ten years. They didn't have much money, but they would never have disrespected the staff like that.

11. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

I have tried to be outspoken without being disrespectful because I really want to curse someone out. The administration has been to my room all throughout the week, they know. They just saying "well someone is suppose to do this and that" and it never gets done. They don't seem to care.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

See my previous post.

13. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

I have done this, they are STILL not doing anything. Frankly, if this is the world of education, I want out. None of the other teachers are being treated like this. In fact, other teachers are using my classroom/makeshift library as a storage for their own books!

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

Are they doing this right there in front of you?

15. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

Yes, they are taking class sets of their books from my class while I am trying to teach. I don't know how they are getting the books inside the class, someone must have another key.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

Your admin stinks...keep interviewing.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 12, 2014

That's just nuts. Your room should be ready NOW! They should not be taking books in the middle of your class time. I would send an email out saying nobody will be allowed access to your room except for before and after school and periods you do not have students in there. This is ridiculous and I feel terrible for you in this situation.

18. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

Thank you for confirming what I have been thinking all along. The level of disrespect is horrible. Should I resign now if I can afford to? I can't take another day of this crap. Its a slap in the face everytime I walk in that classroom aka makeshift library of mine. Would be considered "career suicide"?

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

I usually tell people not to burn bridges, but in this case, tell another school the truth if they ask why you left. If you can afford it, quit and look full time for another position.

Of course, who know what will happen when you tell the P you are quitting. Things migh tmagically get fixed.

20. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

Get it in writing, even if e-mail, that someone else is supposed to take care of it. Try to get a timeframe. Then, don't do the work yourself. Take the kids to the library (if there is one) and have computer lessons without computers. Do this until the work gets done. Tell the administration that the environment is not safe for the students since whoever this "someone" is has yet to set up the room.

Good luck.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2014

If you never signed a contract, you could just walk out the door.

22. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

Coming in and working as well as signing the w-4 may be an implicit acceptance of the job. I'd be careful advocating just walking out the door without consulting an attorney first.

23. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

Do you think that I need to consult an attorney? I am so angry, I feel like suing this place.

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 12, 2014

I wouldn't get an attorney unless they got one first and sued you. A couple of people who even signed contracts at my old school left by throwing the keys through the mail slot and failing to turn up during teacher work week. I doubt the school has the money to pursue it legally and I doubt they have the grounds anyway. Run.

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 12, 2014

Suing them for what?

Get some parents involved.

(And, this would NEVER happen in my school, so don't give up on education).

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 12, 2014

Do you have a Union?

27. 18142014

18142014 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

I don't know if I have a Union or not. I was hired and rushed in at the last minute. I haven't signed a contract so I probably don't have the ability to join a Union. I just feel like walking out and forgetting this ever happen, but I feel like getting even for treating me this way. I've cried real tears over this, not to mention I look like an idiot to the students.

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

Can you afford to sub? If so, I would give them an ultimatum. I'd go in and tell them if this is not done by x day, I will have to resign.

If you can't afford to sub, I would think about going higher than the P. Or go to the doctor and get excused for a few days due to extreme stress. Maybe they will get the message.

Either way, it sounds like you are in for a rough year. I would keep interviewing, as others mentioned.

I worked for a school with similar values last year. I lasted 6 weeks and finally resigned when I was offered a maternity leave position. After that, I was able to secure a contracted position 90 miles away. The commute sucked, but it was better than the terrible school I started with.

29. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 12, 2014

Just an idea for an immediate solution, which you may or may not be comfortable with.

Have the students set up the computer. It's a simple starting activity and teaches them quite a bit about how computers get installed. Crucial information for students in my opinion. You will have to oversee that they don't damage anything though.

30. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 12, 2014

18142014 - Are you sure you're not working in MY school district?? :lol:

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2014

If you are going to leave, may I suggest pictures that are date stamped to corroborate your story? A picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps the same pictures shared with the board and administrators would drive home the message - I can't teach in this environment, although I very much would like to. Don't make idle threats, and don't lose your temper. I have found when you make it less about how you feel, and more about the impact on the students, it changes the way the conversation goes forward. Personally, I would not take it so personally, and continue to reach out for help at every instance possible. Ask if parents can come in to help with the 'creation' of the new computer lab. Just thinking that parents may see what has and hasn't been done may garner you some support. Just a suggestion.

32. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2014

Pictures are a great idea. This place sounds like a mess. I'd run, and quickly.

For the record, our student desks are always stacked at the beginning of the year. I've never had a problem unstacking them. That doesn't really seem too far out of the realm of normal, at least to me.

33. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

Honestly, OP, why would you continue to work there without having signed a contract? Your school has already proven to have little regard for you, so how do you know that they will honor your contract (the one you never even signed)? I'm sorry, but I would never step foot in a classroom without signing a contract for MULTIPLE reasons.

What if your school doesn't want to pay you or something? I have heard horror stories about private schools and compensation/pay issues. SIGN A CONTRACT ASAP!!!

Good luck!

34. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 12, 2014

My first teaching job, I was responsible for 2 classrooms on opposite ends of campus (2 schools on the same campus). I spent 1 week setting up 1 classroom before school started while the second campus struggled to find a key to their portable. I was finally given a key around 6PM the night before school started. When I went in the room, I saw it was being used as storage. It was not set-up as a classroom. There were no chairs, no chalk, not even a clock or a telephone to call the office. Also, the room was full of semi-valuable stuff that was very large and could not be moved. The next morning, the first day of school, the principal REAMED me about not having the room set-up. For several days, we still did not have chairs or anything, despite repeated conversations with her administration. The man who owned the stuff being stored in the room (a friend of the P) was on vacation so he would not come and pick up his junk. The second day of school, she ORDERED me to stay in my room "all night, if had to" to make it look presentable. I lasted in that position 2 weeks and then quit.

My second position, I lasted 3 years. However, my room was also being used as storage and was a huge mess. I spent probably 2 weeks setting it up. There was no custodian during the summer, so I had to have my friends help me move heavy furniture, hundreds of 2 x 4s, sets of plays -- some things wouldn't even fit out the door....we had to take apart the door, too! I moved it all to the courtyard because there was no dumpster and literally filled the entire courtyard. This was considered ordinary and part of my job.

I have a new position now. Again, my room is full of crap that they probably stuck in there at the end of the year (hundreds of technology poster presentations, for example, when I teach another elective.) My storage closet has been repurposed as a place for teachers to store textbooks. I spoke with the custodian and explained that some items had to be moved and went through the room and marked items for removal. I am going in tomorrow and hoping and praying that the items have been removed. If not, I will have to call people and move them myself.

I agree that you are in a terrible position. However, that position is not out of the ordinary. I would honestly have the kids set-up the room at this point. They are not learning in that environment, anyway, so losing a day of instruction for students to set-up is not a huge deal.

35. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

I've never heard of anything that horrible before! I would like to say that it is the admin's responsibility to clear the room and set (most) of the stuff up. But that is just me, and what I've experienced in my schools. That is a shame on them. Especially about the contracts!

36. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

I feel you.

I once taught for two months in a storage room in the basement. We even had a boiler/hot water heater/ AC/ some sort of equipment in the back corner. I was given one long table, enough chairs for the kids, and a fan. We could only use one side of the room because the other had storage. I was transferred schools after 2 months and my students were scattered into the other classes.