Can you teach without your license?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by History4Champs, Jul 15, 2015.

1. History4Champs

History4Champs Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

Hey everyone,

I’m a recent graduate from NY and my degree is a double major in Secondary Education/History.

I have one major concern at the most as a recent graduate. I have a demo lesson coming up and the school really wants to hire me (principal told me himself), the demo lesson is a requirement however. My issue is that I am not yet certified I am still in the process. This is stressing me out because I feel like I have a really good shot at getting hired at this school.

My edTPA scores come in tomorrow and I still have some exams to take. I have been hearing different things from different people but is it possible to teach for a year or so with some type of emergency certificate? I don’t know what you’d even call it…but basically a certificate that allows you to teach for some time while you get your license?

3. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 15, 2015

Why didn't you complete the CST, EAS, and ALST before your edTPA? Those should have been done during your junior and senior years. Did you fail them or just not take them?

I honestly don't know of any "emergency" license in NY like other states have.

4. Banana0

Banana0 Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

So, I'm from CA and not NY, but we are expected to be finished with all tests/requirements during the hiring process. My credential still had not gone through and I was awaiting some results when I taught my demo lesson and was hired, but I had completed all the requirements and it was really just a matter of everything being processed. I was credentialed by the time I signed my contract a few weeks later. I think NY is similar to CA in not having enough jobs to hire people who will not be credentialed. Can you schedule/take all of those exams now so you will be fully certified by the start of the school year?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2015

Emergency licenses or credentials since NCLB generally require that the hiring agency be willing to go through a number of hoops, including sending a letter to parents to the effect that their child's teacher is not Highly Qualified in the subject matter and certifying to the state that it is not possible to find a person to fill the position who already is Highly Qualified. ("Highly Qualified" is a technical term under NCLB: it means someone who has satisfied, among other things, the state's requirements for subject-matter knowledge and basic skills. If you haven't taken those tests, you haven't got that status.) New York probably does allow for emergency licensure, but I would expect it to be vanishingly rare overall, and reserved generally for subject areas in which candidates are few - but the chances of there being no one else in the area who can teach history are remote.

6. History4Champs

History4Champs Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

Our teaching preparation program was designed in a way where you were expected to take the exams towards the end of it, so in the summer months basically which is what I did.

I have taken all my exams but now it’s a matter of waiting for the results, my workshops will also be held in August meaning
    I will be certified (hopefully) by Mid-August if all goes well. I’m more concerned about failing edTPA, suppose that scenario came true…what’s to happen with my job offers?

7. History4Champs

History4Champs Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

Our teaching preparation program was designed in a way where you were expected to take the exams towards the end of it, so in the summer months basically which is what I did.

I have taken all my exams but now (last one is tomorrow) it’s a matter of waiting for the results, my workshops will also be held in August meaning I will be certified (hopefully) by Mid-August if all goes well. I’m more concerned about failing edTPA, suppose that scenario came true…what’s to happen with my job offers?

Whoops double post sorry!

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 15, 2015

"Towards the end" means the summer during junior and senior years, or even during the end of junior year or the beginning of senior year... not the summer after you graduate. I'm not sure who advised you to wait until this summer to take those tests but that was not good advice and probably should have set off a little alarm in your head.

That being said, you might be able to snag a last-minute posting, but mid-August is very late in NY.

9. History4Champs

History4Champs Rookie

Jul 15, 2015

Indeed so I have gathered by now. Well by any means I’ll keep everyone updated on what ends up happening.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2015

I don't know if you are in NYC, but you "might" be able to get a charter school position in NJ in your situation. Even then, not sure, but it is an outside possibility.

11. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 15, 2015

With as many certified teachers as there are looking for work in NY, I'd think you'd have a hard time getting hired until districts can be assured that you've completed all your requirements and just need to be processed through the system. That might depend on the district though. Does the principal you're doing the demo for know the situation? I'm assuming it hasn't come up since you're worried about it?

12. History4Champs

History4Champs Rookie

Jul 17, 2015

Update: So today I was given a job offering and I accepted. I did inform them that my certification was still at works and I was waiting on results for certain exams and they assured me that it was fine! feeling so blessed right now.

13. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 17, 2015

Congratulations! Glad it all worked out for you.

14. History4Champs

History4Champs Rookie

Jul 17, 2015

Thank you! :)