Can you retake a part of your CBEST anywhere?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Julianne Cox, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Julianne Cox

Julianne Cox Rookie

Aug 12, 2019

I have to repeat the math section of my CBEST. Can I retake it anywhere? I only ask because the place where I originally took it doesn't show up. The retake policy says: "results cannot be combined across administrations." But I'm not sure what that means.
    Please help, I can't seem to get a straight answer from anywhere. Thanks a bunch!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2019

This is odd: I've never heard of CBEST results not being combinable across administrations. Could I trouble you to tell me where you saw that?

4. Julianne Cox

Julianne Cox Rookie

Aug 12, 2019

On the website, I figured it out. It just means that they can't add the score on the retake to the original scores. The testing center doesn't matter. I just read it wrong lol.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2019

Whew!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 14, 2019

Yeah, there are so many testing centers I can't imagine it being a problem. Great that you figured it out before it drove you nuts. I would have been beside myself!

7. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Oct 25, 2019

Can I register the exams through the test center or must it necessary to register online? So I could not select the center for the exam?

8. Julianne Cox

Julianne Cox Rookie

Oct 25, 2019

As far as I know, you have to register online through the state board, then you can pick the testing center :)

9. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Oct 25, 2019

Thanks, Julianne Cox.
    Does the state board mean California Educator Credentialing Assessment itself?
    By the way, if I register for a paper test, can I change to a computer-based test if let say I need to retake the test?
    Is the CBEST test is harder compared to the preparation materials on the ctcexams website?
    Or it is similar to it? Because the Cliffsnotes CBEST 7th edition is more difficult than the preparation materials given on the ctcexams website.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 26, 2019

Everyone who takes CBEST and CSET and all other Pearson-administered exams for California registers and pays on the ctcexams.nesinc.com website.

Those who register for paper-based CBEST - the only Pearson test for California that is still available paper-based - are asked to specify one or more general regions or areas in which they would like to test. At some point before the test date, and once Pearson has some idea how many people want to take paper-based CBEST and where, Pearson will notify test takers of the specific test site to which they've been assigned. Locations are somewhat subject to change, depending on demand, so it's smart in the week before the test date to keep a close eye on one's email inbox and junk mail box. But ctcexams.nesinc.com is the only website involved.

For computer-based CBEST and every other California teacher test that Pearson administers, one registers and pays on ctcexams.nesinc.com, but then within a couple of days Pearson emails an authorization code and instructions to visit a PearsonVUE website to schedule (or reschedule) the testing date, time, and location.

Someone who wants to switch from a CBEST paper-based test date to a CBEST computer-based test date, or vice versa, will have to cancel the original registration and start all over again: as far as the registration software is concerned, CBEST paper-based is as different from CBEST computer-based as either is from, say, RICA. But computer-based passing scores can perfectly well be combined with paper-based passing scores.