Can you require students to bring materials?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangepurple, Aug 22, 2011.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

Oh, sometimes the lists are endless.

white glue AND glue sticks
    crayons, colored pencils, and markers (yes, one form of coloring implement is not enough) Also, the number of colors is specified 8, 24, etc
    calculators (expensive ones too in upper grades because the calculators do the algebra for the students), rules, pencil sharpeners, protractors, compass, page protectors, tons of binders, spiral notebooks, marble composition notebooks, plastic storage bags, tissues, hand sanitizer, 3 subject spiral notebooks, type of back pack specified (no wheels one year, wheels the next)

One year a regular 3 ring binders are acceptble the next year not, they need special trapper-keeper binders that have specialized sections and fold around and velcro. It really is a nightmare on the parents.

Pens - colors specified. Some teachers won't allow mechanical pencils, others require it.

Grrrrr.

Yes, some schools have parents jumping through hoops to accommodate the whim of the teacher. Sad thing is, often some of these supplies are barely touched. The white glue used for 1 project during the year. Colored pencils used for just a few because they take longer to color with but the couple of worksheets handed out require smaller areas to color.

Now really - we wonder why parents get po'd.

2. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

I stopped buying all the school supplies for my sons years ago. They just used the same stuff year to year. Never had a complaint. I just told the teachers, they would have to make it work with what they have. I understand both sides. I HATE :mad: the waste I see at school. It just burns me up!

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

Problem in some classes the teacher collects the supplies and uses them for all of the children.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

My husband was in charge of school supplies this year. He only got half of the required items. I asked him why he didn't purchase all the items. There were too many was his reply. I counted 25 different items (that doesn't include multiples within some items). That's a lot of required supplies. Plus you can't make me believe that elementary through high school require all the same things. There is only 5 items different for each level. That means that 20 of the items are exactly the same for each grade level from K through 12. Hmm...

Yes, I get why people rebel.

5. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Aug 28, 2011

Speaking of markers, etc. - true story - I was shopping at an office supply store one year when a package of 10 brand name markers was priced as a loss leader at something like 50 cents for the package. A package of 8 markers was priced at the normal price of something like $3.50.

Another shopper (mom) was going for the package of 8. I told her that the package of 10 was cheaper... buy those! She said to me, 'But the school supply list says they need a package of 8!' Um, okay... and 10 minus 2 makes 8... so buy that! She wouldn't!

I don't mind scissors being on the list; I mind a different type each year.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

I had a student last year who had her own car and had trouble buying basic supplies. She used her car to go straight from school to one of her two part time jobs, the pay from which she used to help feed her family.

Most of the kids I've had who needed my help with school supplies didn't have much. Many of the nice things they did have they tended to wear all the time and they were often hand me downs, acquired through careful thrift store shopping, or gifts.

I've heard of some groups helping get kids smart phones because it gives them internet access that they can use to help with school work. Many of my students had no internet or computer access once the school media center was closed (and it was always unavailable during exam times when they would have benefitted from online resources that other kids used). A donated refurbished iPhone (I donated my original iPhone to such a program) and a subsidized donated plan can give a kid who has no computer or internet a lot of access to things other kids take for granted.

I really try not to judge. If a kid is in need, I'll do my best.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

I may have posted this elsewhere already-if so, tune me out. :haha:

I have a real problem with high school teachers requiring all this specific stuff. First of all, demanding that kids organize in a certain way for no real good reason does nothing to teach them how to take responsibility for organizing themselves.

Second of all, what works for the teacher or another kid isn't going to work for all kids. Organization is a personal thing. Developing successful strategies is a key life skill.

And many students express their personalities through their supplies and take pleasure in them. Why kill that joy with all these endless stupid lists?

I understand that elementary schools have different needs, but really, at the high school level, other than requiring something like a composition book for labs or journals, I can't come up with a single, truly valid reason for demanding things like individual course binders or certain types of folders, or certain types of writing implements. Now, if a student insists on writing with yellow bubble pens, I'll say something because I need to be able to read it. But I'm not wasting time worrying about turquoise ink instead of standard navy or whatever bee some teachers get up their rear.

In my class, we do a lot of visual projects and activities, so the kids do need to have markers of some kind; colored pencils are great too. Ideally, they have both, but as long as they can do the assignment, I don't care. I recommend the .99 packs of 10 Crayola markers. I have some class sets for loaners.

Other than that, they need paper, pens, pencils, and some method of organization. If they are failing to organize effectively, we will have a chat, and I will help the kid develop a system. I certainly don't IMPOSE a system.

Off my soapbox, but this issue really gets to me. :blush:

For the record, I adore school and office supplies and each college semester I tend to spend large sums on new pretty things. I reuse a lot of things too, but I find that I am happier and more productive when I have nice supplies including my specific South Seas Blue ink for my Waterman fountain pen. :lol: I'm not organized at all unless I force it, so all of those elaborate trappings help me get it in gear. I just ordered a new set of Schaefer triples fine liner markers to use in my lesson plans (last set got stolen from my locked drawer while I was on medical leave).

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

I'm evaluating my kids' school lists. Do kindergartners really need highlighters? Pens? Do high school students need water color paints every year? Their list is standard from k-12. Is it just me or should there truly be variation from K to 12. Come on... Lazy list that does nothing but tick parents off. TWENTY FIVE ITEMS folks. Half of it I'm sure the teacher doesn't even want or need.

One of the issues with school supplies lists in the school I worked at was that the teacher of the year decides it. (1 or 2 per grade level). Well the next year someone else may be teaching it. They may not ever want highlighters or watercolors or whatever else got put on the list. Then consequently it doesn't really get used because it wasn't a necessity to begin with but something that teacher likes to use when teaching that grade.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 28, 2011

I require a notebook for a journal, something to write on, and something to write with. We use any other materials so infrequently that I buy a class set of scissors, glue sticks, markers, etc. and just let them use mine. As far as organization goes, I tell them to use whatever system works best for them, but I warn them that I give a lot of handouts.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

I give students a list of required supplies and a list of optional supplies. My required items are pens, pencils, erasers, highlighters, lined paper, index cards, and a binder or space in a multi-subject binder (I don't care which). My optional supplies are colored pencils, markers, scissors, glue, and a flash drive. I tell them that the optional supplies are totally optional, but if they have them they should plan to bring them on certain days for certain activities. If they don't have them, I have community supplies built up over the years via penny sales and dollar store finds.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

Pens for kindergarten?! Someone didn't even bother differentiating this list. Wow. TWENTY-FIVE items and it is a sloppy mess.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

My supply list was:

-Something to write with*.
    -Something to write on.
    -Someplace to put papers.

*Highlighters are not considered "something to write with".

I put in the asterisk not because of anything my students did, but because when I was in HS, I had a teacher say we could write our term papers in anything we wanted, as long as it wasn't pencil. Well, being the smart alec that I was, I wrote mine in yellow highlighter. Yeah, I'm sure I had a few "me's" in my class, so I decided to put a stop to that one before anybody got any bright ideas.

In reality, I provided 99% of the supplies my students used. I worked in a very low income school, and had everything they needed in my classroom. Since I really didn't ask them for much, it was easy to gather what I needed for very little money by stalking penny sales.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

Then it goes back to why teachers need to be supplying it. I usually don't mind but there is a difference between I don't mind and what's ethically right.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

I taught in one of the poorest areas of the city. I actually don't think it's the school's job at all to be providing paper, pencils and notebooks. I think that's the parents' job. My students who were merely "poor" instead of living in abject poverty were the lucky ones. I happily helped them out with basic supplies. Now, buying my own white board markers...that kinda torqued me.

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2011

You have a built up supply of extra FLASH drives?

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2011

I do have a few on hand from a special program I used to be involved in. I let students borrow those if they need to, but they can't keep them.

17. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2011

That's fantastic! I'm sure they are greatly appreciated. Wish we had something like that.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 29, 2011

I have a supply list...it is less than 1/2 the size of the teacher that taught my program before me. If you watch for sales and don't go for the name brand or cutesy things (which I hate), you can get everything for less than $15. In fact, I got it for around $10...but our PTO got ahold of all the lists and changed and added Clorox wipes (four containers!!!) to the list as well as other items. I DID NOT DO IT...my list went up to around $40 this year. I was livid. I purchase scissors, pencils, and notebooks for my students. I can't imagine a supply list that costs that much per child. I didn't think $10 was unreasonable. BUT I don't blame parents for being upset. What they need to understand is that I didn't do it.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2011

I have a hard time with cleaning costs being added to a school supply list as well.