Can you recommend some reading regarding behavior management?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by 773 Miles Away, Jul 1, 2007.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jul 1, 2007

I was just hired to teach 5th grade in an inner city school system. I did my student teaching a different city but also urban schooling and it was a tough year. My biggest problem was dealing with behavior management. I have a lot of strategies in place so to avoid similiar problems but I'm looking to spend my summer catching up on good research regarding the subject.

Can you recommend some books/websites/journals etc about various behavior management subjects? I'm interested in information dealing with children in the 5th grade level. Also, i'm interested in subjects dealing with positive reinforcement. I'm hoping to create a classroom where students can learn to make good choices via my guiding them using positive reinforcment... but.. i'm weary of strategies where you tend to lead kids in a more materialistic frame of mind.

The school I taught at used PBIS as a school wide discpline plan - you reward good behavior by hole-punching a card they carry around. Depending on how many hole punches they have at the end of the month will determine what kind of activity they can participate in during a celebration day. The more punches.. the better the activity. I noticed all too many kids doing good deeds (which is great) and milliseconds later shoving their punch card in your face... (not so great). In my opinion they became trained to do good things soley so they could do these activities. I can't imagine their good behavior going past the classroom.

And by the way, they were not all angels either anyway.

So any good reading? (i'm also intersted in interesting books.... so if it was a bore when you read it... I probably won't either unless it's REALLY good content..)

Thanks if you can help!

3. dlstringer

dlstringer Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2007

I second that!

5. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

Teaching Outside the Box by Louanne Johnson
    She is the teacher that the movie Dangerous Minds was about.
    Awesome book with many great ideas if you are starting out or have encountered problems that need fixed!

6. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 3, 2007

Positive Discipline in the Classroom by Jane Nelson, et.al. (Developing Mutual Respect, Cooperation, and Responsibility in Your Classroom)

Conscious Classroom Management
    by Rick Smith.

I have read both books more than once and refer to them for things as "things" come up!

7. dlstringer

dlstringer Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

I have Louanne Johnson as well, however I haven't starte reading it yet. I'm reading Fred Jones now...

8. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

Thanks! I'll stock up on those first to get started

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 8, 2007

Watch the movie "The Ron Clark Story" (starring Matthew Perry!). It is a true story of a young teacher who WANTS to teach in the inner city and how he changed his class around. He has a book out called The Essential 55. Watch the movie first and be inspired. We watched it as an inservice! It will give you HOPE!