Can you recommend a soldier pen pal site?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jul 17, 2009.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

I am doing an integrated unit on "heroes" and wanted to include writing letters to soldiers for the community service activity. Is there a site that you have used and can recommend? Thanks. :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

Don't have a site, but you could contact your local VFW or American Legion- they probably know of local families with active duty service members...

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 17, 2009

You could also try contacting any families at the school with military members. I did this 2 yrs ago. Two of my students were from military families and we made valentines and sent them to their family members who then handed out the valentines.
    Maybe someone on here who is military could set you up with a connection as well.

5. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Great advice from both pps...checking with your school first and then your local VFW and Legion posts or if you have a National Guard or Army Reserve Armory near by. You might want to even consider getting in contact with one of our military hospitals and sending letters/cards to our injured soldiers, too. :)

This link is to a website where you type messages on-line on postcards, and then Xerox prints and sends them to soldiers. http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html

This one is for Holiday Cards for Soldiers sponsored by the Red Cross:
    http://www.redcross.org/email/saf/

6. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

My husband is active duty and he's been "adopted" by several people each time he goes overseas. (#4 in January) The site is something like adoptasoldier dot something.

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

soldiersangels.com
    A few years ago I did the pen pal thing with three soldiers, personally. I still write with one of them- he is back home and we e-mail a lot now. I think the site still tries to set you up with someone local- so that is pretty cool. I have been going to meet my soldier pen pal for a while, but it has never worked out.
    I think it is fabulous you are doing this! Best wishes! That is so great!
    http://soldiersangels.com/

out of curiosity- what grade do you teach?

8. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2009

This will be for a third grade class. It is an integrated unit, so need to come up with other content areas for heroes also, besides the pen pal activity. It isn't difficult, just not sure what I will do for math...or science for that matter...I'll figure it out, but it needs an community service activity and I thought pen pals would be great for all of us.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

:D :love: :D :love:

9. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

Good luck! It sounds like such a great idea! Sounds so fun! I love the idea!

10. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

What about something regarding the number of miles away from home, comparing sizes/populations of the region?

Great idea, btw