Can you recommend a Reading Textbook for high school special ed?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by msnielsen, Nov 12, 2010.

1. msnielsen

msnielsen Rookie

Nov 12, 2010

Hello,

I teach four levels of English to high school Special Ed students (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade). My kids' reading levels range from 1st grade - 8th grade.

Our school does not use a reading program, and so I'm desperate to adopt a research-based and comprehensive program.

Can anyone comment on the following publications? :

1. Bridge to Literature
    2. Corrective Reading
    3. Caught Reading
    4. Be a Better Reader
    5. SRA Reading Lab
    6. California Gateways
    7. AMP Reading
    8. Globe AGS Literature
    9. Pacemaker Literature
    10. Any of the other SRA/McGraw Hill reading programs
    11. Any computer-based reading programs

I realized it would be so much more helpful to have input from teachers who have actually used any of these programs (before I ask the school to spend thousands of dollars ! :))

IF you can recommend any other series that would be great as well.

Thanks so much!!!

3. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2010

That AGS program looks fantastic.

MSneilson, are you wanting to teach a reading intervention class or are you looking for a series like the AGS?

You and I teach the same subject to what sounds like the same population. I have 2 sped ELA classes 9/10, 11/12 that are supposed to follow the same curriculum as gen ed - so I don't have much time to do reading intervention.

5. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

Read 180

Read 180 is costly but definitely worth the price!

6. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

I'm like Special-T and teach 2 levels 11 and 12 I'm suppose to follow gen ed. I, too don't have time for reading intervention. Our campus uses Read 180, well worth it so my struggling readers are in the program or have been in it at some time.

7. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Nov 14, 2010

I've used SRA before. It's good for very low-level readers especially. AGS is a great company for LD students. I've never used their reading program but regularly use their textbooks in other classes (I also supplement w/ regular ed grade-level books, though, because AGS can be a little low-level in my opinion.)

I've had a lot of success with a program called Great Leaps also. If you have a group you can separate for direct instruction or have the opportunity for one-on-one pullouts it's great. It only takes about 7 minutes per student and increases not only phonics and word recognition but also fluency. I use the primary version with my high school reading students.

8. msnielsen

msnielsen Rookie

Nov 15, 2010

I'm just teaching "English" to sped kids, and it's not titled 'reading intervention' but that's what quite a few of them need. (i think)

A few of my kids are reading at around 1st or 2nd grade level, and the rest are reading at around 3rd-5th grade level.

It looks like I should probably order a few different levels of textbooks and try to do some small reading groups.

9. msnielsen

msnielsen Rookie

Nov 15, 2010

Which SRA program did you use? (and with what age group) ?
    I'm trying to decide if I should use "corrective reading' or 'reading success" . I'm also thinking about ordering the old 'reading lab' that comes in a box with different levels.

Thanks!

10. msnielsen

msnielsen Rookie

Nov 15, 2010

Is your class called "Read 180" or do you just use the program in your English class?

Do you know how much it costs? (About 2 other teachers at my school are also interested in it. )

In what readin areas do you notice it has the greatest effect? (i.e. fluency, vocab, comprehension) ?

Thanks!

11. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 15, 2010