Can you please turn that down!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Master Pre-K, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

Hello All,

Is it just me, or do you find the muzak in the stores these days is getting to be way to loud???

I've been trying to fill out applications for part time work on the in-store kiosk computer. You know, places like Target and other retail stores all have automated systems now. This is an exercise in insanity! The music is so loud, it is hard not become distracted.

More importantly, I think several stores purposesly pipe in tunes to get you to shop more! I know I visited a shoe store, and only planned to browse. They were playing a tape with nothing but old 70's music! They had me hooked!! Every time I got near the door, I heard another old song, and started humming my way back inside!! I ended up buying some boots that day! :p

I really think it is annoying in the restuarants! So much for a quiet dinner date. I end up shouting to a potential love interest! You can't even hear the game on tv unless you are sitting at the bar!

And what is more aggravating than the awful tapes when you are on hold! Usually, it is something you really need, like the computer help desk, or your cell phone company! I get this blarring, retro..80's acid rock going on! Boom, boom. yah yah...ding ding...Sheesh! I hang up because I can't stand it anymore. Whatever happened to the soothing elevator music to keep me calm while waiting??

Of course, if I venture into Best Buy or Circuit City, I am bombarded with surround sound 100 inch plasma tv sets! Can't stay there too long!

Even Office Depot has every computer monitor in sight showing the latest video, with the speakers blasting! All I want to do is make my copies and get out of there!

Maybe I should wear my ear stoppers when I go shopping?! They help me study for a test, but I never thought I needed them to block out the noise in a store!

Anybody out there losing their hearing??

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

YES!

I was at a store where they were playing Classic Rock so loud that my ears were hurting. Not only do I not like that music, I don't like the volume.

Ugh.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

Yep, and another thing I can't stand is "ringback" tones when you call some cellphones. It is what you hear instead of the typical phone ringing (there was nothing wrong with the regular ringing). I have to have the volume up to hear what people say but dang it, those ring backs start up and it about kills my ears!!! You almost can't tell what the tune is.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

Not to mention movie theaters. I went last night and it was blasting. I felt like I just walked out a concert. Yikes!!! As for stores, yes, they are too loud, and I have a degree of hearing loss, so it's hard for me to focus on what is being said with all the other background noise.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

What about those cell phones that play an entire CD before you can leave a message?? Or ring retro 60's style! They turn them up high, because I guess they can't keep up with them? Man! Are you deaf, get your phone already!

I even noticed the TV sets are way too loud in the laundry mat! I find a mop, and cut it off, when nobody else is around! :p

And, I can't shop in any of the typical..ladies' fashion stores!!! Blarring music from all the way outside the mall. As soon as I step inside, sales girl comes up to me, and says, "Can I help you find something?" I hold my ears, and say, "Yeah, the manager... to turn down that d*mn music!!!"

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 23, 2007

I hate the TVs in Walmart! The worst one is right by the deli, so I have to give my lunch meat order 8 times to be heard. Then you go stand in line and you have to see and hear the same 8 "commercials" over and over again!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

Takin' care of business...
    Takin' care of business..whoo!
    Takin' care of business...

Office Depot!

okay, take care of business already! Turn that off and just let us shop!

9. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

I SO agree. The grocery store I shop the most at now has TVs at the checkout lines and various other places in the store. So, not only do I have to listen to their choice of music now I have to see and hear there commercials :eek: !

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

yeah!! what is that all about???!! last time I rode a suburban bus, they had one too! Infomercials!!! For Pete's sake! All you want to do is buy your groceries, and get home! Now you are bombarded with advertisements everywhere!!

And...what about those flashing video billboards! They will cause an accident one day I tell ya! Especially with the men! They are such visual creatures you know. All we need is some half dressed woman telling us to come in now and buy a car!

That should just be illegal! They should stick with the traditional time, temperature, and support the Girl Scout Troop Cookie Sale. We really don't need videos on the street!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

And when it's Halloween noises in late August, and Christmas carols iin October, I really go crazy.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

Yes, I believe when the first kid lost his life over Halloween candy, this holiday was never the same! :(

So they just rush us with Back to School sales in July, two days of Halloween in October, and then it is Christmas and the leaves aren't even yellow!

Every store on the block will have dancing pumpkins, and dancing Santas singing and swaying at the checkout aisle, while you try to add up your purchases in your head!

When they stop, some kid goes over there and touches it so it will go on and on, and on! Like the Eveready Bunny!

And back to the phones, just once, I would like to call a number, and hear a real live person answer.

Hello, Sunnybrook School, how can I help you?

No, it is:

You have reached, Speedybrook School. Please listen carefully as our menu options have changed. For English, press one. Para en Espanol marque dos, In, Polish and In Armenian, press 7 or 8. (Hmmm, no other languages out there I guess?) :confused:

For the attendance office, please spell your child's complete name, teacher's name, and reason for absence. Press 1.

For the school nurse, please leave a mesage. Press 2.

For the Mary Jane, school secretary, please press 3.

For the principal, please press 3 for Mary Jane.

For all other calls, please hold. If you are calling between 9 am and 3 pm, and this is an emergency, please call back at 123-4567.

Thank you for calling!!

Sigh, I just wanted to know if I could bring cupcakes for my daughter's birthday??!!! :(

13. teacheratheart

teacheratheart Companion

Jul 25, 2007

LOL that's hilarious. But back to the music in stores, one time I was in a dollar store picking up some containers and it was after school so there were little kids in there too. And they are playing NPR over their PA system. Well, the people on NPR are talking about something really horrendous like the rape and murder of a little girl or something like that. They start getting all opinionated and saying really horrific things, that even as an adult I don't want to hear. And it's really loud so you can hear it clearly in the entire store. Well, I through a fit. Those little kids didn't need to hear that crap!! I just couldn't believe it. They ended up turning it off. I don't even think they put muzak on just to spite me. But it backfired on them, after teaching all day I enjoy the silence. ;)

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

I find it more annoying when cars drive past my house and the music is thumping so loud it shakes the windows.:| Do people really think others enjoy it?:rolleyes:

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

I never understood the theory behind ghetto blasters either. My guess is, when we were high school kids riding on the bus..one boy would play a song on his radio. The girls would start singing along. So, another boy would get jealous and play his radio louder, and then everyone would sing his song!

It's all about attention..."Look at me, look at me!"