Can you please help me brainstorm ideas for my "written agreement" I'm working on?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 28, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

So, a brief background first:

I've been in touch with a family who would like me to homeschool their kids. I found out about a 100% publically funded online school (K-12) for my state. Since the parents have Full-Time jobs, they want me to teach their daughter (one so far, maybe two) at "home" so I am more interested in this online approach than creating everything from scratch (in terms of finding everything we would need) because everything is done online, textbooks, or hands-on materials that are also 100% paid for by the state since it's recognized as a public school.

I'm going to spend the next few days writing up a "contract" or what I think should be discussed in writing (how often I'd like to be paid, what if the daughter is sick regarding my pay, etc) so hopefully there will be no surprises from either myself or from them "well I thought you were going to..." if it's something we hadn't already discussed since this is my first "full-time" job for a family (we are still working on the initial steps but since I haven't had any other job opportunities for schools come up, I'm working on this since I came up with a job for myself and a family found my ad online about being available as a Private Teacher)

Can anyone please help me brainstorm questions or things to make sure I include for this type of employment I'm creating for myself (if they decide to proceed- I think I'm the only one they've been in touch with).....such as
    *"sick days for the student and (still being paid all or some of the day's pay)"
    *handling taxes (I need to look into this but I believe I would be a household employee but this gets tricky because I may be "teaching" at my home which is what they wanted (still working on that but that can be figured out later)...etc...
    *My roles (everything is graded and provided by online teachers, I would be there to assist her in person and motivate, etc while she's working like a parent would do)

I'll refer back to this thread to see if there are any new ideas of what to include...those are just a few that came to mind...

Thank you very much!
    (BTW, I'm using the "if you don't have a job, make one" quote which I heard somewhere awhile ago and it's slowly but suring coming into focus now....I hope, I'm up for a good challenge!) :thumb:

3. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jun 28, 2011

Off the top of my head make sure you have the names of both mother and father, your name, the date and their daughters name.

If you are going to be working with both of their children you could do a separate agreement for each child. That way if, like you said, child 1 is sick and you do not need to teach her that day you can still go and work with child 2 if she/he is healthy.

I looked at a few agreements today to draft something up but now I'm drawing a blank. I know there is more you could put in there but I need to think… I'll be back!

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

The original plan was for both girls but the mom was saying the other day when I met them that the girl wants to give middle school a "try" even though the mom didn't think she'll do well , so I'm anticipating the what if's- what if she stops going to the main school and wants to do this schooling now at home...just thinking through all those things because that would increase my rate if I was working with 2 but for now I'm just writing as if it's 1 daughter (entering 9th grade).

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jun 28, 2011

I know that I've seen legal forms online (and for sale in Kmart!) for writing wills and other legal documents. I bet you could find a template for something like this.

After a quick Google search, I came up with this for an employment contract: http://www.rocketlawyer.com/employment_agreement-form.aspx You have to create an account to see the form, but it sounds like what you're looking for. You could then write in the other conditions that are particular to teaching jobs.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 28, 2011

Thank you. I will take a look at that. I juat want to cover all the aspects to prevent added roles etc w/o pay as an example of a surprise.

7. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 29, 2011

Just a thought, if you are going to teach them in your home, will your homeowners insurance cover you if something happens while they are there? Most don't, so please check.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 29, 2011

I will ask but what do you mean...like if they fall down?

9. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jun 29, 2011

I homeschooled 3 boys once and found that the mom was asking me to do things I shouldn't...like helping them use the bathroom, helping them eat and cleanup after breakfast, brushing teeth, etc.
    Make sure you know what your duties as a homeschool teacher should be.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2011

• Will you meet with the student on the same days as the regular school district?
    • Will you be paid for holidays?
    • What hours will you work?
    • Will you have scheduled break times, including lunch? What will the kid do about lunch?
    • Will you be teaching in your home or theirs?
    • What specifically are you going to be doing, since you won't be the teacher of record? Will you be more like a tutor? Will you be responsible for checking work before it is submitted? What happens if the student submits work and earns a low grade on it?
    • How will you handle behavior issues?
    • Will the parents support your discipline plan?
    • What will be the role of the parents? The student?

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 29, 2011

thank you so much! I will def be adding these.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 29, 2011

I would want to make sure you have a clear idea of the school breaks, and the dates that you will be working with the students.

Make sure you are not additionally seen as a "baby-sitter" and expected to do things like supervise play dates or drive to ballet class.

Also, include what needs to happen if YOU need a sick day. Do they have a back-up plan for the kid(s) if you can't be there.

Can you supplement the curriculum? For example, go the capitol or the science center to piggy-back on an assignment? (I would WANT to do that! It would definitely make things less boring.)

Are you allowed to go to the library together? Can you set the schedule?

You are a teacher... you can do those things. I think you would get bored simply watching someone do a bunch of stuff online!

13. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 29, 2011

If they fall, sprain an ankle or if you are on a field trip and something happens, or you get accused of doing something to them.(stranger stuff has happened) Some homeowners policies won't cover you if you have a business that deals with children in your home. Make sure you are covered.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2011

Froggy... I was thinking the same thing... What about your sick days?!? Do they have to pay you? Would you wait to the end of the school year and see what "washes out" as far as sick days?

Field trips are you supposed to get them there? Do parents expect these how many? How many field trips would be the limit? Cost of trips is there a limit... I'm thinking like a museum or something.

What does happen if an emergency for either you or their family comes up... how is this compensated or "played out."