Can you please check my resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ScienceGeek, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 6, 2009

Dear Dr blah blah,
    I am applying for the position of Middle School Science Teacher at blah blah Middle School found through your district’s website. I am graduate student seeking preferably a permanent full-time position as a science teacher; possess over 20+ credits in science and experience teaching science on the elementary level K-5. Currently, I am in the process of obtaining my certification in science grades 6-8.

I am a teacher because I take pride in empowering others and enabling them to meet their goals. I hope that given the opportunity I can share ideas to enhance the curriculum such as creating a tropical rain forest inside the classroom and getting students involved kinesthetically. I feel it is important to use visual intelligence, by demonstrating an experiment at least once a month, permitting.

Thank you for taking the time to review my qualifications. I hope to hear from you soon to discuss blah blah Middle School’s goals and how I can achieve them. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at number.

Sincerely,

Blah blah
    [Resume Enclosed]

OBJECTIVE: Dedicated, enthusiastic teacher preferring to better facilitate student learning in the area of the sciences.

EDUCATION:

Master of Arts, NJ Pathways to Teaching (2009-Present)
    New Jersey City University, NJ

Bachelor of Arts, Organizational Management with a Concentration in Education (2006 to 2008)
    Ashford University, IA
    • Graduated with Honors
    • GPA 3.7

Associate of Arts, General Science and a Concentration in Science (2004 to 2006)
    Ocean County College, NJ
    • Graduated with Honors GPA 3.6
    • Scholarship awarded Republicans for Point Pleasant
    • 20+ credits in the Sciences
    • Member of Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

Substitute Teacher, blah blah Township School District
    blah, NJ (May 2008- Current)
    • Plan, organize and supervise lesson plans for students of all ages and levels.
    • Provide dependable teaching cover on an as needed basis.

Mad Science Instructor, Mad Science After-School Care Program
    blah, NJ (October 2007 – January 2008)
    • Managed classroom structure for K-5 Students
    • Created lesson objectives focusing on classroom participation.
    • Organized and executed age level appropriate experiments inside and outside of the classroom.

After School Care Counselor, blah blah blah
    blah, NJ (September 2006- June 2007)
    • Supervised children in grades K-4.
    • Assisted with classroom learning and lessons. Created fun activities to engage students.
    • Established an excellent rapport with the students.

SKILLS AND ABILITIES:

• Creative Lesson Planning • Interactive Learning
    • Multidisciplinary Lesson Plans • Multiple Intelligences
    • Student Motivation • Critical Thinking

CONTINUING AND PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION:
    •Studied Abroad, Fine A-level Art and Photography (Welwyn Garden City, UK)
    •Completed Level 5 American Red Cross Swimming Certification
    •20-hour Substitute Teaching Workshop
    •15-Hour Science Praxis Prep Course (October 2008)
    •15-hours of observation inside a science classroom (February 2009)

HOBBIES & INTERESTS:

• AKC Conformational Dog Showing • Mural and Canvas Painting
    • Cooking • Horticulture
    • Design & Management of Web-based business
    •EnvironmentalPreservation

References Upon Request

3. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Feb 6, 2009

Looks good, but I would take the blah blahs out of your cover letter.
    (kidding)

4. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 6, 2009

LOL!!
    Or how about yada yada yada? hehehe

5. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 6, 2009

Would you write that type of clubs you would be willing to run in a resume or wait till they ask you? I know that is a big issue now in schools. Not many teacher want to run clubs anymore.

6. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 6, 2009

My other question is also what types of foreign language comprehension are there?
    I understand a lot of German and speak fundmentally to get by, but not fluent. I don't know if I should include this in my resume or not and what's the technical word for it. My professor said to start thinking of everything that makes you stand out from the crowd.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2009

HTH!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2009

I would delete this out of your resume.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 6, 2009

Hope that helps a bit!

10. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Feb 6, 2009

Unless you received a 4.0, I would leave off your GPA. Chances are, they aren't going to go over your transcripts with a fine toothed comb, but if your resume has a 3.7 and a 3.6, and the next one in the pile has a 4.0, you just bought your resume a one way ticket to the circular file. It should be enough to list that you graduated with honors and were in an honors society.

This is coming directly from a principal. I was on a special panel to help other teachers prepare for job searching, so I interviewed my principal on what they look for on resumes. She said that anything less than a 4.0 should be left off.

Also, your most current job should have the most bullet points.

11. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

thanks for all the replies

How could I include that I would be willing to run the yearbook club based on my studies in my cover letter and where?

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2009

Dear Dr blah blah,
    I am applying for the position of Middle School Science Teacher at blah blah Middle School found through your district’s website. I am graduate student seeking preferably a permanent full-time position as a science teacher; possess over 20+ credits in science and experience teaching science on the elementary level K-5. Currently, I am in the process of obtaining my certification in science grades 6-8.

I am a teacher because I take pride in empowering others and enabling them to meet their goals. I hope that given the opportunity I can share ideas to enhance the curriculum such as creating a tropical rain forest inside the classroom and getting students involved kinesthetically. I feel it is important to use visual intelligence, by demonstrating an experiment at least once a month, permitting.

I also believe that a big part of education takes place outside the classroom. Activities such as sports and clubs such as the newspaper and yearbook contribute to the well rounded individuals we all want our students to become. With a background in photography, I would love to assist an some capacity.

Thank you for taking the time to review my qualifications. I hope to hear from you soon to discuss blah blah Middle School’s goals and how I can achieve them. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at number.

Sincerely,

Blah blah
    [Resume Enclosed]

How about something like that?

13. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

should I replace hobbies and interests with award and achievements? Also would it be relivant to put the I trained my dog in 6 weeks for an AKC CGC test some how in achievements? I don't have a lot of teaching experience, but I feel it is relivant because it's a handler/dog effort, a handler/teacher can make or break the test, it's not all the dog. I think it is an achievement because he was only 9 months and we passed first time around.

14. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

Thanks Alice, should I leave the references off completely? My professor said to print the references on a separate sheet separate from the resume

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2009

Anything that sets you apart from the pack is a good thing. The fact that you were able to train a dog and receive an award for it shows that you can get a particular tone into your voice that commands respect. Hobbies and interests are nice, but results are better. I say go for it.

16. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

Sorry please help me again

My scholarship has an interesting story and I want to make the employer aware of it how can I do this in a bullet point???!
    The scholarship I won "Republicans for (Name of Town)" I wrote an essay on constructive use of land and after school time for teenagers to stay out of trouble. I disucssed in my essay that the reason why teenagers were getting into trouble was because they were bored, and that there was nothing in our town that was "teenager friendly" so I stated that a skate park would be an affective use of land and would keep kids out of trouble. My essay was picked and I won a schlorship. About 3 years later an actual skate park was built. The woman who picked my essay was on the town counsel and I think somehow she liked my ideas and that actually put them into affect.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2009

Are you using a portfolio? Can you include the letter and some pictures?

18. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

Would this be okay? I made sub bullets to get my point acrossed

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:

• Trained a dog for AKC CGC (Canine Good Citizen) Test
     Receiving passing grade and certification
    • Granted Scholarship “Republicans for (name of town)”
     Made suggestions for more constructive use of land and after school time for students by creating a skate park.
     Skate Park was built a few years later.
    • Inaugurated into Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
    • Dean’s List eight consecutive semesters
    • Design & Management of Web-based business

19. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

I don't have a portfolio put together yet, but would like to! That's my next question how do you put together a portfolio!?! What's the organization of it? I wrote the essay 8 years ago and I don't have it anymore unfortunately. Should I reconstruct the essay for a portfolio and take pictures of the skate park?? That would be neat!