Can you over-do a classroom theme?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by myKroom, Jul 18, 2008.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 18, 2008

For my first two years of teaching I never did a theme for my classroom. This year I would like to do frogs. I have found all kinds of neat bulletin board, calendar, center, etc. materials based on frogs...but I wanted to make sure I'm not overdoing things??

How much is too much...or is there too much when it comes to a classroom theme???

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

I don't think you can over-do a theme, however if you get sick of it and want a new theme then you have to buy all new stuff so keep that in mind :eek:

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

I love frogs! We encorprate them with EVERYTHING.... and if anything comes up missing I usually know it's mine if I spot it in a new classroom! LOL

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

I think kids are more tolerant of themes than adults. I would consider my theme overkill if I went in one day and was irritated at all of the stuff I have up, or if another adult came in and thought it was overdone.

6. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 19, 2008

Yes. I think some teachers do go overboard and spend way tooooooo much and it becomes sensory overload on that theme. A little is cute, a lot is overdoing it.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2008

You do have to consider your kiddos. Some do have issues with sensory overload. Other than that...nah.

8. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

Thank you everyone!!!

Mrs. Sheila...I would love to hear some of the things that you have and/or do with your kids?? I love frogs too and have found some very cute items to use in my room.

9. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

I have a frog theme in my room. I never had any complaints about it. I say I don't go overkill with it. My husband disagrees, but the kids like it. I use frogs for my FROGGY Folder (same as a Bee/Moose Folder), desk tags, name tags, labels for various things in the class, BB, and I also have figurines that the kids have given me around the room. My behavior management has a frog theme. I use a stoplight system, but use different frog faces instead of Red, yellow, and green.

10. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

The only time I can think that you would overdo a theme is when it overwhelms the classroom and it's hard to find the student work. I know of a teacher who has a darling theme, but that's all you see in her room. I would rather the student's work be the focal point. You can still have your froggie theme, just let the student's work be the focus. Does that make sense? :)

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 24, 2008

I agree with the sensory overload stuff, plus what if there are children who don't like the theme? I know you can't please them all, but when I was younger I had this frog puppet that scared the crap out of me, and I just hated all things frogs. I think I would have gone crazy in a frog room! (I know, what are the odds you'd get a kid like me? :))

12. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Well, I thought I was going to go with a wildcats theme this year until I found some very cute gecko items made by Trend. So now I am doing gecko (really lizzard since I have a bearded dragon in the classroom and other lizard items). I bought the accent pieces, the welcome sign, the color chart and the border. It is just enough but not to overwhelming.

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

one way you can keep with the theme and not overload on it is to incoroprate the color-- my classroom theme is busy bees and all my name tags are bees and some of my bulelting board borders are too but my curtains are pale yellow and white ginham check with valences that are white background with different brightly colred carttonish bugs on them. My nameplate labels on the tables are white with plain yellow border and the bulletin boards in my classroom are subtel colors with a bee somewhere in the design or soemthing that blends in witht he colored background.

14. mrshenry24

mrshenry24 New Member

Aug 1, 2008

Shelia...where did you find your gecko welcome sign? I'm also using the Groovy Gecko theme this year but I could only find the accent pieces and the border. I have searched online and through several catalogs and I can't find anything else.