Can you name all the oceans?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ~mrs.m~, Apr 2, 2008.

1. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2008

Yep I have been teaching it all year, the kids think I am nuts! But then I show them new maps and well there it is!

The same group of scientists that demoted Pluto, named the new ocean!

4. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Apr 2, 2008

Wow. I really learned something today. I had no idea there was a new ocean. How I missed it, I have no idea!
    I guess it makes perfect sense. I've always wondered which ocean all that water under the Indian ocean belonged to. :)

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 2, 2008

I had no clue they were even considering a new ocean. I figured that the other 4 oceans just sort of traveled all the way down to antartica.

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2008

Yeah, when did that actually happen? Who decides these things?

It's a good thing I did some research before teaching my kids the continents and oceans... at their level sometimes I take my knowlege for granted :eek:

7. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Apr 3, 2008

Interesting to know that some smart people might even be some nomads, sat down and decided to add a 5th ocean with the notion that the former 4 were too small enough to comprehend? LOL

A 5th ocean= SOuthern Ocean? What a lame name. How about the Southern Hemisphere Ocean.

Intellectuals I tell ya.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 3, 2008

I still have a problem with Pluto

9. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 3, 2008

Has anyone heard of this called the Antartic Ocean? I think I've seen it written somewhere as that...but don't know how accurate it is. I remember saying something about it a year or 2 ago and someone looked at me like I was stupid...so I shut up really fast!

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 3, 2008

I have never heard this before.

Yesterday my kids were writing planet reports and I told they can choose a planet to write about. I gave them a booklet with all the main planets and one of my kids broke down in tears because his favorite planet was Pluto. I said I wanted him to do the report on one of the main planets. And he said, "But it's a dwarf planet!!!"

So my kids are devastated about Pluto, lol.

11. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Apr 3, 2008

AMEN!!! me too!!!!

12. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Apr 3, 2008

man, i teach science and I scuba dive, but I had no clue! I feel a little silly not knowing about a whole ocean. and i guess its been that way since 2000!!!

13. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 3, 2008

Very interesting! A great new fact to bring up to people. I'll have to tell my students. I can hear them going up to their parents asking them to name the oceans and reply, "Nooo! There's the Southern Ocean too!"

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2008

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2008

But why Name a "new" Ocean?
    Is this some urban renewal for Oceans?
    Southern Fish need a new home land (er Ocean) of their own?

Why do we have to have the change
    First I hear about Pluto Now a new ocean

Next they will say:
    No child should be left behind
    or
    teachers are not needed to teach
    or
    the sun will die in 1 billion years
    or
    there is a third or fourth sex
    or
    we will have a smart politician
    or
    schools will get all the money they need and the military will have a bake sale to get more guns.
    or
    the world is really square
    or
    space is not where you can go to where no man (woman) has gone before

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2008

It seems that the United States doesn't recognize the Southern Ocean. It's a term that the International Hydrographic Organization has been using since the late 1930s, apparently.

A case can be made against it on grounds that every other ocean is bounded by landmasses: that is, there aren't landforms to mark or even suggest the boundary between the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean.

But a case can be made in favor of the Southern Ocean on the grounds that there are significant differences between it and the other oceans. The Antarctic Circumpolar Current flows west to east all the way around Antarctica, and is the only current in the world that goes through all 360 degrees of longitude. This water moves fairly quickly and doesn't mix with water to the north, with the result that water samples taken from three widely separated points within the Southern Ocean are more similar than water samples taken from, say, the middle of the Atlantic Ocean south of the equator. In addition, there are water masses within the Southern Ocean that simply don't exist anywhere else.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2008

Contrary to the North Atlantic, the South Atlantic is largely open to the influence of the southern ocean and other oceans. The Antarctic Circumpolar Current (ACC) allows for inter-ocean transport of heat and freshwater anomalies, permitting ocean route telecommunication of climate anomalies to regions remote from the Southern Ocean at various timescales. The ACC link drives a global thermohaline circulation that is responsible for much of the meridional heat transport in the Atlantic and for shaping the distribution of intermediate and deep water masses. The South Atlantic thermocline exchanges with the Indian Ocean thermocline, and the injection of Pacific-Ocean-derived Antarctic Intermediate and mode water masses in Drake Passage are part of the "warm route, cold route" debate. It is still unknown to what extent the ratio between the cold and warm water route changes across a range of timescales and which processes could determine such a variability.

The exchanges between the Southern Ocean and the Atlantic occur mostly in two very energetic frontal regions, namely the Brazil/Malvinas Confluence, and the Agulhas Current and its retroflection along with the upwelling area of the Benguela Current. Remote sensing data are powerful tools to investigate and monitor system variability at various spatial and temporal scales in these highly dynamic, energetic, and complex regions.

18. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Apr 3, 2008

But what about the Ocean of Calomine Lotion?

19. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 3, 2008

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

20. HMM

HMM Cohort

Apr 3, 2008

"Southern Ocean"... wow what a pathetic name. For me there are only 4 oceans and Pluto is a planet.

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2008

To the ancients, "seven" often meant "many," and before the fifteenth century, the many seas of the world were:

the Red Sea
    the Mediterranean Sea
    the Persian Gulf
    the Black Sea
    the Adriatic Sea
    the Caspian Sea
    the Indian Ocean
    Today, the world ocean is generally divided into four main oceans:

the Arctic Ocean
    the Atlantic Ocean
    the Indian Ocean
    the Pacific Ocean
    In addition, there are numerous smaller seas and gulfs.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2008

There's quite a nice list of seas (well, and gulfs and some big bays) at http://www.answers.com/topic/sea. A few more that would have been well known before the 15th century: the Tyrrhenian Sea (the one to the west of Italy: the Adriatic is to the east), the Ionian Sea (between the sole of the Italian boot and Greece), the Aegean (between Greece and Turkey), the Sea of Marmara (between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean), the North Sea between Scandinavia and the UK, which has been called that at least since the 10th century, and the Baltic Sea (which might not have been known to the Romans but was certainly known to the Vikings and the Russians).

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2008

The earliest maritime explorers travelled vast distances in small craft, using their knowledge of the seas and the stars and some simple navigational tools to help them find their way. Polynesian voyagers travelled thousands of miles across the South Pacific from New Guinea to New Zealand, whilst the Vikings journeyed across the North Atlantic reaching Greenland and even North America. The ancient Greek and Romans relied more on coastal navigation, never venturing far from the sight of land. Nevertheless, they managed to sail around the continent of Africa by 600 BC!

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2008

Boats have always been risky, but the potential payoff in those days was huuuuge: they were much faster than anything that went on land, and could be built much bigger.

There's evidence to suggest that the Chinese sailed across the Pacific in the 15th century.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2008

In the early 15th century, China was the world's greatest naval power and Zheng He (pronounced jung huh), a eunuch who was close to the emperor, was its admiral. He led a fleet of huge ships through the Indian Ocean, reaching the east coast of Africa. Scholars think the Chinese could easily have continued around the Cape of Good Hope to Europe and America, if they had stayed their course of exploration. This much is documented.

26. fishie

fishie New Member

Apr 4, 2008

5th ocean has been around for ages

I teach school in Australia and the Great Southern Ocean has always been there? :confused: must be Americans never heard of it- oops I'm an american!:rolleyes:

27. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Apr 4, 2008

I miss Pluto...a "new" ocean...what is this world coming to :confused: :rolleyes:

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2008

When I was in school I would tie up my mastodon out front of the school.
    We learned that there were:
    The Atlantic (North and South) the Atlantic bordered by Europe, Africa, the Americas and Antarctica,
    The Pacific (North and South) bordered by the Americas, Asia, Antarctica and the West coast of Australia, Some would put Australia in the Indian Ocean some would put Australia in the Pacific,
    The Indian Ocean bordered by Africa, Asia, Australia and Antarctica,
    The Arctic Ocean bordered by Europe, North Americas and Asia, and full of Ice.​

We were told that some people did not think Australia was a continent and others thought that Greenland just might be a continent.

Even The Olympic flag only has 5 continents, connection between the rings and the continents is that the number five refers to the number of continents. In this scheme, the Americas are viewed as a single continent, and Antarctica is omitted.

I think it is just a master plan to sell more text books
    :toofunny: :rofl::toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny: :rofl: :toofunny:

29. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2008

Dave, you're brilliant. Of COURSE it's a conspiracy by the textbook companies -- everything is! Otherwise there would be no business except some infrequent updates to science and history. And we would have more dough for other stuff.

I can't stand it. On the other hand, I have a burning urge to become a textbook designer. :D

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 4, 2008

UGH, you got that right. The text my CC uses for one of the classes was just "updated" again.. NOTHING is different. One of the profs and I went through them side by side. WTH.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2008

Updated graphics, perhaps, or updated with a multimedia component in a CD...

32. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Apr 4, 2008

I thought it was the South-Atlantic Ocean but the chart says South Ocean...oh well.