Can you let me know how my three job application questions sound?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

Describe at least two instructional strategies you used to help students of all ability levels achieve the learning goals. Provide specific examples. (200 words or less)

One of the strategies that I used with great success in order to meet the needs of my students was modeling. Kindergarten students, especially my ELL students, benefited greatly from this strategy. As I was modeling, I would talk aloud what I was doing and why. Students understood not only what the product would be, but the process too. Modeling and talking aloud also helped to provide my ELL students with a vocabulary rich environment. For example, every morning we did mini-lessons during our morning message time. I modeled to my kindergartners how to write using various methods such as, stretching words, sounding out, using the classroom as a resource, and how to use punctuations.

Another teaching strategy that I used was cooperative learning. Using cooperative learning, students became actively involved, had more on-task behavior, and benefited from higher academic achievement. For example, I put my students into Heterogeneous groups for a science lesson. We were studying physical science and the methods of separating matter. Working in heterogeneous groups, they had to come up with a lesson for their science section, create a poster, and teach what they learned to the class.

Describe the academic growth your students demonstrated over time using results of an assessment tool you found useful. A complete answer will include the following:

* What assessment tool did you use to evaluate student growth?
    * According to the assessment, where did your students begin relative to the learning goals?
    * According to the assessment, where did they end up?
    * What academic growth was demonstrated from where they began? (250 words or less)

One assessment tool I used to monitor students growth when I taught kindergarten was a writing rubric. Every month, I gave my students a writing prompt. Once the finished their writing and illustrations, I used the rubric to score their writing. A score of 1 meant that they had a string of letters. A score of 2 meant they had written a couple of sight words. A score of 3 meant they had written a simple sentence that was on topic. A score of 4 meant they wrote two or more sentences or a compound sentence and that the story was on topic. Using this assessment, I was able to alter my mini-lessons during morning message and writer's workshop time. Because of this writing assessment and gearing the lessons to their needs, I noticed remarkable improvement in their writing. In the beginning of the year, my students writing consisted of scribbles. By the end of the year, many of my students were writing multiple sentences that were on topic.

Optional: Reflect on one of the areas from the above list in which you are least strong. Why did you choose this area? Describe specific actions you have taken or plan to take to address it. (250 words or less)

I feel that while I am able to differentiate my instruction in Language Arts through Reader's and Writer's Workshop is successful, I would like to work on differentiating instruction during math instruction. I began meeting with students on a one on one basis or in small groups, however, I would like to continue collaborating with my coworkers and attend conferences to learn other methods to differentiate instruction during math.

:D:thanks:

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Peachy-

One of the strategies that I used with great success was modeling. Kindergarten students, especially my ELL students, benefited greatly from this strategy. As I was modeling, I would explain and think aloud about what I was doing and why. Students understood not only what the product would be, but the process too. Modeling and thinking aloud also helped to provide my ELL students with a vocabulary rich environment. One example of modeling would be our daily mini-lessons during our morning message time. I would model to my kindergartners how to write with proper spacing and punctuation and how to use various methods such as, stretching words, sounding out, and using the classroom as a resource.

Another teaching strategy that I used was cooperative learning. Using cooperative learning, students became actively involved, had more on-task behavior, and benefited from higher academic achievement(How?). For example, I put my students into heterogeneous groups for a science lesson. We were studying physical science and the methods of separating matter. Working in heterogeneous groups, their goal was to come up with a lesson for their science section, create a poster, and teach what they learned to the class. Was this Jigsaw method? If so you should use those words. Saying something about them learning by teaching.Can you mention how this helped lower students

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Optional: Reflect on one of the areas from the above list in which you are least strong. Why did you choose this area? Describe specific actions you have taken or plan to take to address it. (250 words or less)

While I am very effective at differentiating instruction in language arts through Reader's and Writer's Workshop, I would like to pursue more strategies for differentiating instruction during math lessons. I currently meet with students on a one-to-one basis (are there hyphens in one-to-one) and in small groups and vary my delivery style to appeal to several styles of learners. My future plans are to continue to collaborate with my coworkers to find effective strategies and to attend conferences that will help me better reach all students during math instruction.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

Thank you very much for your tips. I'm looking over my answers and making the changes. You're always such great help! :)

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

I tagged this on to the end of that teaching strategy one about the cooperative learning. I was at the max with the word limit and it was very tough coming up with a good sentence. This put me at 201 words. I'm hoping they won't notice that extra word.

Because they were learning by teaching, this strategy benefited all of my students.

Does it sound okay????

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2008

It doesn't sound right to me. Try something like: Students were actively engaged in their own learning benefitting not only themselves but their classmates as well. How does that sound? This time change has really screwed with my head...either that or I'm more tired than I think I am. :p

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Yes -what STG has but do not go over 200, it will cut off. let me look at it- can you repost what you have?

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2008

I try, but sometimes I think what I say sounds so horrible! :)

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

This is the whole answer from beginning to end. Right now it's 201 words.

One of the strategies that I used with great success was modeling. Kindergarten students, especially my ELL students, benefited greatly from this strategy. As I was modeling, I would explain and think aloud what I was doing and why. Students understood not only what the product would be, but the process too. Modeling and thinking aloud also helped to provide my ELL students with a vocabulary rich environment. One example of modeling would be our daily mini-lessons during our morning message time. I would model to my kindergartners how to use proper spacing and punctuation and how to use various methods such as, stretching words, sound out, and using the classroom as a resource.

Another teaching strategy that I used was cooperative learning. Using cooperative learning, students became actively involved, and had more on-task behavior. For example, I put my students into heterogeneous groups for a science lesson. We were studying physical science and the methods of separating matter. Working in heterogeneous groups, their goal was to come up with a lesson for their science section, create a poster, and teach what they learned to the class. Because they were learning by teaching, this strategy benefited all of my students.

**** at least it's 200 now that I got rid of that extra that. :rolleyes:

11. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

I don't know about wording, but if you take out your extra that, you'll be down to 200

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

I think that was a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out! :sorry:

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 9, 2008

Here is exactly 200 words- I don't know what I changed but I took out lesson section and reworded the second paragraph.

One of the strategies that I used with great success was modeling. Kindergarten students, especially my ELL students, benefited greatly from this strategy. As I was modeling, I would explain and think aloud about what I was doing and why. Students understood not only what the product would be, but the process, too. This strategy also helped to provide my ELL students with a vocabulary rich environment. One example of modeling would be our daily mini-lessons during our morning message time. I would model to my kindergartners how to write with proper spacing and punctuation and how to use various methods such as, stretching words, sounding out, and using the classroom as a resource.

Another teaching strategy that I used was cooperative learning. Using cooperative learning, students became actively involved, had more on-task behavior, and benefited from higher academic achievement. For example, while studying physical science and the methods of separating matter, I put my students into heterogeneous groups. Working in these groups, their goal was to come up with a lesson, create a poster, and teach what they learned to the class. Students were actively engaged in their own learning benefiting not only themselves but their classmates as well.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

I know it is implied, but not stated...that admin. is always looking for numbers...they are results driven.

"Because they were learning via hands-on instruction, this strategy benefited 95% or 20 of my students. The remaining 5% or 5 students showed significant growth, while receiving additional services thru Special Education.

It is assumed, that you never reached your full potential, and we are always striving to do more. :crosseyed

or as my new grad prof. says, "You all start with A's, and have the opportunity to go down or stay where you are."

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

Hmmmm. very interesting. Yes, admins LOVE numbers, don't they?

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2008

oh, yes they do. they eat them for breakfast! whenever there is a staff meeting, listen carefully to the comments.

the bottom line is...
    as a result...
    9 out of 10...

and they will always ask...

How many ____?

You will say, "We are almost finished."

and he/she will repeat themselves,

"How many?!"

So, the next time, come in with a typed report, and tick everyone else off, and say, "As of 2pm today, 20 out of 25 students passed the reading test, and the remaining 5 will be retested next week. Three were out sick this week, and one was out of town, and one was suspended. All are expected to return next week, and I will begin testing after Language Arts."

:D:2up: