Can you help me with my hypothetical situation?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by linswin23, Jul 27, 2011.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

Hi everyone,

So I got hired on with this really amazing afterschool program and I just got done doing my training. I haven't actually started at the A.S. with the kids since public school doesn't start for another week. Well...since I'm still working on getting my credential in the state and am trying to keep ALL my options open I've applied to over 40 jobs this summer. The job I just was hired to was one of the few who actually called me back.

I knew this would happen...now that I'm actually hired I am getting callbacks from positions that I applied to. Here's my dilemma...

I got a callback from a middle school that is looking for a full time media/resource assistant. The hours and pay are better at this job and I set up an interview today with the P. I know that just because I have an interview doesn't mean that I am going to get this job. Hypothetically, if I do get a job offer from the middle school I won't be able to continue working afterschool since the schedules conflict. I feel guilty that I'm even considering quitting the afterschool job because I already really like it. I need some advice on what to hypothetically do.

HELP! I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself for all situations.

3. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jul 27, 2011

If you got the full-time job I would take it. You need to do what is best for you in the long term.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

I generally say to keep your commitment to the job you have. However, in this economy, you have to do what you need to in order to keep a roof over your head. If you get offered the 2nd job, it sounds like it will allow you to get your foot in the door as well as make more money. So...I would explain to the AS program just that. They still would have time to replace you before school starts.

5. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 27, 2011

Agreed

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

School starts in ONE week. They made a commitment to you by investing time and resource for your training. You accepted the job and you are excited about it. Keep your commitment.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 27, 2011

You need to go on those interviews. Sorry, but this is your future. You have to look out for yourself. As wonderful as you may have done at this job, you ARE easily replaceable. But WHO KNOWS when you will have the opportunity to TEACH in this economy!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

In my district a media assistant wouldn't be teaching.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

You submitted a resume to get hired, right? Did you make it clear at that time that you were still hoping for a full time job in a school?

10. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 27, 2011

If you are truly passionate about this new job or feel like it would benefit you the most in the long run, I would take it. I'm kind of in the same situation...I agreed to be a graduate research assistant this fall, but if I get a full-time teaching job, I could not say no to that. I would try to swing it where I could do both though! ;)

11. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

When I interviewed with the A.S. I did not make it clear that I was searching for a full time job with a school--honestly, at the time I just needed a job so badly that I went in and simply answered the questions and taught my demo lesson with my best face.

This program does have a lot of applicants and it seems like they could easily replace me if I do get offered the other job.

According to the P of the media assistant job I would be working and assisting students who are enrolled in online classes, so I'd in a way be teaching along with my duties as a media assistant.

It seems like most of you advise me to do what's best for me, not the employers. Thanks for the advice and input, I appreciate it all--there's a lot to consider here on all sides.