Can you help me with a social studies lesson?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherperson, Mar 22, 2017.

1. teacherperson

teacherperson Rookie

Mar 22, 2017

I'm a student teacher and I'm planning a three lesson social studies unit about Ellis Island and immigration. For one of the lessons is going to be introducing the concept of culture and how everyone has their own unique culture and characteristics about them, and immigration is one way that helps us come in contact with and learn from different cultures. Do you know of any good read-aloud books that celebrate immigration and the cultures that immigrants bring with them?

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Mar 22, 2017

I remember doing something similar in my student teaching. I introduced the students to various foods from other cultures, just simple pre-made foods. I remember my college supervisor was evaluating my lesson, so I asked the students if perhaps he should try the foods first and he really played it up. Overall, it was a fun lesson.

I think your lesson is a valuable and much needed lesson! I did think of one precaution. I don't mean to make you feel uncomfortable, but in today's current political situation, multicultural lessons could accidentally become controversial. I would advise previewing your lesson with either the cooperating teacher or a college professor, just to be on the safe side. Again, I don't mean to alarm you, but now and then a parent will be on the lookout for controversy and might try and stir up trouble.

4SquareRubric likes this.
  4. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 22, 2017

What about the storybook Chrysanthemum? It's not directly immigration related, but it does deal with differences and acceptance.
    Like Obadiah, I think you might consider checking the climate of your school before proceeding. If you do find the climate right, there are several books that are geared for kids that are more factual about Ellis Island. Check Amazon.

5. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Mar 22, 2017

look at this website:
    www.teachingtolerance.org

its either ,org or ,com i forget but it has a lot of passages to read and video clips to use to teach diversity and tolerance

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2017

Org is correct

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 22, 2017

Coming to America by Kathleen Bradley
    All the Way to America by Dan Yaccarino

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2017