Can you help a teacher out?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherBug08, Feb 8, 2014.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Feb 8, 2014

Alright, I am a first year teacher at an inner city school. I have had my ups and downs, but overall I do like it. My school has a lot of extreme behaviors. I like the staff and administration. Here is the pickle: there is an opening at the school where I live. I have an "in" with the principal. The drive would be like 5 mins. And I know the behaviors would be much different. I don't know if I will have this "in" in how many years. However, I am sure i would be taking a huge pay cut. Also, my current school is a title school so after so many years all my student loans are forgiven. My current school will also pay a huge portion for me to go get my masters. What do you think? I am married and see myself having a family soon. If I stayed at my school I would be much better off in terms of money. However if I did decide to go with other school I think I would have less stress and have a permanent grade level (bubble teacher right now). I would love advice/suggestions.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 8, 2014

How important is the money to your family?

What is your gut feeling telling you to do?

4. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 8, 2014

Personally, I'd stay...
    It would be a no-brainer for my wife and I as we both love working with diverse populations. She and I commuted 40 minutes to two different inner-city districts from our country home for all of our teaching careers.

The fact that you like your administration and colleagues is icing on the cake.

But ultimately, it's your decision. No one else could or should make it for you...

Good luck:)
    Teacherman

5. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 8, 2014

as others have said, this is a very personal decision. what is your current commute time? Time is money so if you can cut your drive time by x minutes a day don't forget the value of that.

For me, earlier in my career when I was getting started with family and all, my career decisions were influenced by $. I would trade more stress for more money. Plus I was goal oriented and driven to "succeed" and move up the ladder, etc. l

now, I am older, kids are grown, and I am in a better place financially, I choose in the opposite order - I will take less stress, lower work/commute time and less $ every day of the week.

best wishes and good luck in your decision. it's never easy.

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 8, 2014

I can see the good things for both but I think I personally would try and switch schools.

7. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Feb 8, 2014

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I understand it is such a personal question, but I really just don't know what to do. My current drive is 20 minutes. I feel like my gut is telling me to stay. However, there are so many days I teach that I think it doesn't have to be this hard. Sometimes dealing with their home lives and the level of disrespect is enough to question my choice. Those days that do go great are so rewarding.

When it comes to money my husband and I are both starting our careers. We could survive if I took other job, but wouldn't get to as much fun stuff.

8. MissP89

MissP89 Rookie

Feb 8, 2014

What a dilemma!
    I am in a very similar situation to you (driving 45 minutes, schools with challenging students) so I know how unmotivating it can be when you struggle on a daily basis with behavioural issues.

Of course, it is a very personal decision, and I can see the merits for both sides of the argument, but I would choose to stay, at least for now.
    Sit it out for another year and if you still have a strong feeling to move closer to where you live, do so.
    Money isn't everything (although I understand teachers in the US are not paid as well as teachers here) and finding a school environment you really love will be more important to your happiness the long run.

I would, however, try to maintain contact with the school you have an 'in', with, including the occasional email and perhaps even volunteering a little. Since they are so close to your home it might seem natural for you to help out occassionally.

Goodluck, and happy teaching, whichever school you choose :)