Can you get pregnant after you had your tubes tied?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by zoey'smom, Mar 21, 2011.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

I am freaking out!!! I am 37, I had 3 c-sections and three years ago after my daughter was born I had my tubes tied. My first born died of SIDS and we thought after I had a boy and a girl, we were done but, last week I started having many symptoms that I think I may be pregnant. Is this possible? I did take an at home pregnancy test, but it is negative, but I think it may be to early. My period is not due for another 10 days. Am I freaking out over nothing? Help??

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

It's possible but very unlikely. Have you tried an early pregnancy test or one of the tests from the dollar store (which are evidently super sensitive)? Would you even have symptoms so early in a pregnancy? It could only be like a week post-conception, right?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 21, 2011

I had a scare not too long ago, and I found that the more I thought about it, the more "symptoms" I seemed to have. Not saying you aren't having any, but I began to imagine every tummy quiver as morning sickness, even down to analyzing my hair and skin. It's the hardest wait ever, but tell yourself you're going to wait 10 days, then wait another 5, and take a test. You'll feel much better just knowing! There isn't much you can do about it at this point, even if it is positive, right?

5. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

I got the ept that says it can detect 6 days before your missed period.
    My breast are tender and I am really nauseated, and fatigued. I may be off a few days on my calculation too.

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

I know what you mean. This is going to be the longest 10 days.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

Sorry to tell you. I got pg after my tubes were tied. The doctor that tied my tubes never did send me a bill for the pg test.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2011

I'm so sorry for your loss.

You'll be in my prayers either way.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

My friend got pregnant after having her tubes tied, as well. But, she uses the same doctor that I do, and he said she's his only patient who ever has. It is very rare, but can happen.

10. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

My sister inlaw thinks it is all stress. I hope she is right. As many of you know I just lost my father two months ago and then 16 days later we lost my Father inlaw, but things have been going pretty good lately. In fact last night we just bought a new van. I will keep you updated with what I find out, but for now I am going to try not to think about it.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 22, 2011

Oh, sweetie! No wonder your body is doing crazy things. You have so much stress right now. I didn't know about your losses...you are in my thoughts! Relax, wait a few days, and take another test. In the meantime, hug your family and work on keeping you whole. If it is positive, maybe you can consider him or her a gift from your loved ones who have gone? It will be a blessing!

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2011

I've heard of people becoming pg after having their tubes tied, but it is rare. I hope that it's just stress.

I skipped my period in Jan and was stressing out about being pg, but I've come to realize that every once in awhile, I skip my period.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

13. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 22, 2011

Sorry for your losses. After what I just went through after my recent c-section I'm terrified of becoming pregnant again. Good luck.

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2011

Sorry for your losses. Your problems could very well stress induced, but I know someone who had a baby after getting her tubes tied.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2011

I was told that the failure rate for a tubal is the same as with birth control pills . . . which isn't much.

16. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

That's kind of funny, because my youngest was conceived when I was on birth control pills.

I read online there is 1.4 percent chance of failure when you get your tubes tied. But then again I read there is a 1.3 percent chance of a baby dying of SIDS. Well that already happened to us. It always seems if it is something rare it happens to us.

I am feeling better today. So I am hoping it is just stress after all.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 22, 2011

You are 37, so you might be in the beginning stages of menopause.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2011

Would you consider just scheduling a blood test? It might have you resting easier one way or the other, just knowing.

19. curtukgrl

curtukgrl Rookie

Mar 22, 2011

YES it can happen!!! I have the proof sleeping in his bed right now. He and his sister are exactly 1 yr 1 week apart in age. I was told I was that 1%. Never received a bill for his delivery or any doctor visits. But then again the doctor missed the birth completely too. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

20. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

I thought of that too. My sister is 9 years older and she is just now going through menopause. I guess that could be possible.

21. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 22, 2011

I did think of doing just that, but we just changed insurance and waiting for my new card. I still might go.

22. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 23, 2011

One of the things they tell you to look out for with a pregnancy after a tubal is the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy. This is when the baby is in the tube instead of the uterus. Very dangerous for the mother. If you get a positive result, make an OB-GYN appointment ASAP.

23. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 23, 2011

Yes, I will. That is what I am the most worried about.

24. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Mar 31, 2011

I just wanted to let everyone know, I am not pregnant. I am still having some nausea and I am tired all the time, but it could still be the stress of everything catching up to me. I think I will just go and get a complete checkup. Thank you everyone for your nice words and concern.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

I'm sensing that that's the outcome you wanted. If so, then we're all very relieved for you.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

zoeysmom~that's good news!

27. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2011

I'm happy that you found out. I'm sure you're relieved.

28. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 1, 2011

Uuuuh, if your tubes are tied and you are pg, you need to get to the doctor. My vote is, make an apointment asap and let them figure it out. Not to scare you, but this type pregnancy could become complicated quickly.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2011

She said she's not pregnant but she's having a checkup anyhow...thankfully. :)