can you get a masters in psychology with a b.s. in education

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by traeh, Dec 13, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Dec 13, 2007

Say someone wanted to switch from teaching to counseling (either school or marriage counseling) and they currently held a B.S. in Education. If they got their M.S. in Psychology, would that be sufficient to become a counselor? Anybody know? Can you switch careers like that?

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2007

Don't know what its like in PA. In California, I don't think an M.S. in Psychology would work. The course work would need to meet specific state requirements. And FWIW the requirements for a counselor are different than for a school psychologist.

4. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

Dec 17, 2007

To go into counseling you would get a MS in counseling. At least that is how it works in Texas. My BS in interdisciplinary studies but now I'm working toward my counseling degree with an emphasis in school counseling.

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2007

I think it would probably work, but you might have to take a bunch of prerequisite undergrad courses. I'm really not sure, though, just supposing and suggesting that it's worth looking into. Perhaps discuss it with the admissions advisors of a graduate school that you would consider.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 17, 2007

You would have to take a lot of prequisite undergraduate courses first, but it is possible.

But why would you want a Masters in Pyschology? To be a school counselor, you need a degree in Counseling.

7. HSTeach

HSTeach Rookie

Dec 24, 2007

Hey!!! I know in California you can get your degree in anything and get your masters in Psychology. But no matter what you have to pass an exam to be considered a psychologist. You can get an internship at some places without passing the exam and working on or just have your MA in Psych. :)

8. HSTeach

HSTeach Rookie

Dec 24, 2007

P.S. When I was talking, I was speaking for an actual psychologist (marriage and family or a school district psychologist or any other type of clinical psychologist), not a school counselor

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2007

Where I live you can, but I would suggest going to or calling the university you want to get your MS at and asking them. If they say no, call another university that is nearby. All universities have different prerequisites so you have to go to them if you really want an answer.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2007

I know in Texas you can but you have to have 2 years of teaching experience before becoming a school counselor.