Can you fail praxis core writing essays and still pass overall?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DreamerSeeker, Sep 16, 2020.

1. DreamerSeeker

DreamerSeeker Rookie

Sep 16, 2020

Firstly, I SUCK at writing essays...I'm wondering, if it's possible to pass the multi-choice questions, but fail the essay portions, and still get an overall passing score of 162 for that particular test?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 17, 2020

I don't think so, but am not 100% positive. I'd get the book and practice every day. You can get better! :) I'd have found it hard to get 100% of the bubble ins correct. :) I had to take it when I moved states.
    There is a format they want, or there used to be anyways.
    If you can memorize a good intro and conclusion, but leave blanks to put specifics in, it saves time. Then get your transitional phrases in order and be ready to use them. Also, look at your options and pick the 1 you have the most ideas about whether you agree with it or not. Practice! I am not sure why, but I know some highly intelligent people who have had to take that part of the test more than once to pass. You can do it!!!!
    Just start working every day on it! I had to practice for the speed of it b/c I tend to want things like that perfect. I barely got my conclusion written when they called time. I had no time to edit. lol
    Good luck!

DreamerSeeker likes this.
  4. DreamerSeeker

DreamerSeeker Rookie

Sep 20, 2020

Tired Teacher,
    Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate the help!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 22, 2020

If you are a teacher, wouldn't you want to have adequate writing skills? My suggestion would be to improve your skills to the level of a professional teacher. Turning out poorly written notes, newsletters, and report card comments will make you and your colleagues look weak.

6. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 17, 2020

Not being able to write adequately at this stage tells me you rarely read. Please switch to another subject before it's too late. Period.

7. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Oct 18, 2020

Don't know what subject DreamerSeeker is targeting to teach. I'm also not sure what the specific issues are with the essays. In general, I don't do too well on essays because I rarely care about the subject of the prompt. It's hard for me to come up with something about a subject I have such deep feelings of "who cares?" in a limited time frame. I'm not sure this is uncommon.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 19, 2020

Practice writing essays. Have a friend go over it with you. You need to get better at it. Even if you could "pass" with failing that part really says a lot about you as an educator.