Can You Even Imagine?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 28, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 28, 2014

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2014

The EAA is a hot mess in general, so this brilliant idea does not surprise me. So far, EAA has not been successful, so hopefully the idea doesn't spread.
    I have a friend that taught at that school (in the video) the first year EAA took over. She quit in November. Her P was fired by January. I know one teacher quit the first week of that year. Obviously not a great place to work, either.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 28, 2014

Oh my gosh. This is NUTS.

- In the video, what the principal said led me to believe that they decided the library wasn't a worthwhile use of space (because libraries aren't important, right?) so they used it for this. He mentions the teachers being hesitant at first... I have to wonder if they just did this because they didn't have enough available classrooms or something like that.

- The experienced teacher is 30. The other two teachers have 1 and 2 years of experience. Ok, I am a new teacher too (3rd year), but this school CLEARLY has some high turnover going on.

- They have an extended school year until AUGUST?! Um...WHAT?? When do they go back to school? (In CA, the school year MUST end before July 1.)

I really can't imagine what this would be like. I've worked in after school programs where multiple groups of kids have been in the gym together for a period of time, and I HATED it. I can't even imagine having three large classes together all the time, especially with kids that young. What a nightmare.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 28, 2014

I can't imagine. I taught summer school last year and we had the pre-k, K, and 1st grade students all together in 1 class. It was about 50 students and there were 3 teachers. It was exhausting. I can't imagine having 100.

I teach a mod/sev needs preschool class and every year I have parents ask me how many children I can have, and when I say 18, most of them get really nervous and are very unsure of how their child will get individualized attention. Having to tell a parent that their child will be in a class of 100 would be a daunting task.

It's just crazy that they say even though it has been proven that children learn better in small groups, that their program has proven otherwise. That's an awful standard to set.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 28, 2014

I think it's a real mistake people make with technology-that kids working on computers can take the place of someone actually teaching them to their needs. This isn't the first school I've seen try this, it's the first time with kids this young though! Usually it's middle or high school kids.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2014

The library comment annoyed me, too.
    And they have PLENTY of classrooms. Only about half of the building was used when my friend worked there.

I know a half dozen teachers that worked for EAA. No one lasted more than a year. Most quit mid-year. Metro Detroit usually pulls 5000+ applicants per position. So what does it tell you when teachers are quitting mid-year to compete with thousands?

After Labor Day. I knew the first year the calendar was like that, but I figured they'd shift into an August start date for the following year. Guess not.

8. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 28, 2014

This reminds me of the first school I worked in that was built in the 70's with a similar like model. At first, I didn't understand why the school's layout was so confusing. Then a couple of teachers who had been in the system for 30+ years told me that the school were originally "open space" or something like that. They had like 100 kids in one large room and each teacher had a corner area. They said it was a nightmare and none of the children could focus and by the 80's they began building walls and creating regular classrooms. It's strange how bad ideas seem to always repeat themselves.

9. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

I both subbed and taught in schools that started with the open concept. Each school had put up portable "plastic" curtains to separate the classes, similiar to what a PE teacher would use in a gym. Although it did separate the classes you still could hear the noise and movement behind the curtain.

10. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Jul 28, 2014

Is weekly "Library or Media Center" time not required in Michigan? How could the principal get rid of the Library isn't that time part of the K-5 curriculum?

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 28, 2014

Definitely do not agree to this…it's bad enough my upcoming class will be like 25-30 kids. 90?!

I actually got a random email from a charter school who does this with 60 kids in each room with multiple teachers. I didn't apply because I don't agree to that.

Classrooms should be kept separate, I feel that it's the best way to get the education each child needs. A teacher is capable of differentiating when needed.

12. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 29, 2014

Whaaaat!!! I don't like this at all. I agree with the poster above me that says classrooms should be kept separate. Student-teacher ratios are important, and I feel that 60+ kids in a room with 3 teachers is too chaotic. And the library comment in the video annoyed me as well.

Also just curious, is this a charter school? I see in the article that the most experienced teacher is 30, and have always noticed that charter schools have younger employees. Is that because of high turnover rates?

(also sidenote: at one charter school I interviewed at I'm pretty sure the principal was at least 1-2 years older than me and I was 23 at the time :O)

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

It isn't exactly a charter. It is called an EAA school. Educational Achievement Athority. Basically, the state of Michigan is experimenting. In 2012, they took over the worst performing schools in Detroit. They were (are?) supposed to expand and take over the bottom 5% state-wide.

Everything that was housed inside the building belonged to Detroit Public Schools- text books, technology, etc... It was removed. EAA took over the building and brought in their own things. However, the didn't have everything figured out before the take over. No curriculum, supplies hasn't come in yet, etc... So not only are teaching in the most challenging schools in a very troubled city*, they are flying by the seat of their pants. They do pay well for beginning teachers- I think they start at $55,000. Maybe it was $50,000. Every 5 years the scale gives you a $5000 raise. They are extended school year, and it is a stressful situation. They pay so well because they are big on keeping money in the classroom- not in administration or other budget sucking entities.

*I LOVE Detroit. It is a beautiful city with a lot of great things. Don't believe everything you read/hear about it. It has problems, but it is also a wonderful city.

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2014

Would this be the same concept as pods?