Can you do your student teaching at a private school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Topsy, May 3, 2015.

1. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

May 3, 2015

I am started a certificate program this summer, which will last about 3 semesters, the last of which is a student teaching placement.

A wonderful private school is very interested in me (as I in them). The director of studies says it is not a problem that I do not have an official NJ state certification, that independent schools do not require them. She says that if something comes up, I will be one of their first candidates.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if I were to get a position here before my student-teaching semester, could I do my student teaching at that private school?

In general, NJ'ers, does that seem possible? Have any of you done your student-teaching at a private school? Or, do any of you know of someone who has?

Thanks in advance!

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 3, 2015

Student teaching requirements are set by your university. My university had very specific requirements, and a private school was not acceptable. However, I know teachers that went to a different college and they did not have the same strict guidelines that I had.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 3, 2015

Back at the time I did my ST, I didn't even ask, but should have (but they seemed to be only public). I would have LOVED to do at least one term at a private school!

As a child, I attended private school from K-7th gr. :)

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 3, 2015

I did not technically do my student teaching at a private school but the school was willing to hire me without a certification (I have a degree in chemistry) and I went through an alt cert program and after I had taught 3 years, student teaching was waived and I have the exact same certification as any other Louisiana teacher.

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 3, 2015

New York State requires you do your student teaching in public schools. NJ is probably the same. Cza would most likely know; she works with quite a few student teachers.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2015

I'm actually not clear on this...New Jersey certification is required for any professional staff member employed in New Jersey public schools or in any institution under the supervision of the New Jersey Department of Education. Student teaching in a school outside of these parameters might not 'count' although you should check with your college or the state DOE to be absolutely certain....I'm in public and taught in parochial school for one year while awaiting for my certification to come through...
    Do keep in mind that there is talk of making the length of time required for ST in NJ longer and that the market is incredibly competitive in most of our state....the less unusual your paperwork, the better.

8. physteach

physteach Companion

May 3, 2015

You can. I've worked with student teachers in NJ private schools.

9. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 3, 2015

I did one of my semesters of student teaching in a private school. However, if you are hired and there is no teacher of record/master teacher in your classroom with you, then that probably won't count as student teaching.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 3, 2015

I am not sure that I understand the entire situation. Are you an alternate route candidate, or eligible to be an AR candidate? What certificate are we talking about? Since you have a CE as opposed to a CEAS, I am going with AR. If the certificate is TOSD, for example, some universities require a student teaching while most do not. If it is ESL that you are going after, you would need to complete your ST UNLESS you earned your standard certificate in elementary education BEFORE the end of the ESL coursework. TOSD certificates can be stretched out to meet the required number of years of teaching experience, as you will acquire a CE, which will become a Provisional certificate if you are hired to teach with that endorsement, and that doesn't matter whether it is a public or private school. I am certain that there are other certificates out there that I am drawing a blank on, so my info may not be spot on.

If you are chasing Teacher of Students with Disabilities, there are about 15 NJ universities that provide this certificate, and there are differences among each one. The state's take is that it is seven courses that provides 21 credits, approved by the NJ university of your choice. TCNJ requires 24 credits, 3 of which are the ST. Rutgers can do the certificate online, and no ST. Centenary University is 21, no ST, a couple of the universities require completion of a masters and acquisition of the LDTC certification.

I am working on my provisional TOSD, in a private school, and if I go through TCNJ, the ST can be done in my current employment. When I was working on my ESL certification, however, had I not had a standard certificate, I would have needed to finish a practicum, and TCNJ would have required a public school for that completion. Lots of variation and I would recommend comparing the programs to see what options you may have.

The NJ DOE can help you understand and meet the requirements for your certificate. Some universities will allow for transfer of courses, while others are strict, all work done at only the one university. The truth is that there is enough variation among the programs, so it is worth some careful study and consideration.

Good luck.

11. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

May 3, 2015

Thank you so much for your replies. lynettstoy, I do have a CE, but I reconsidered Alternate Route and decided it would be too much for me to handle (teaching while attending classes), especially since an AR position would most likely be in an Abbott district. Instead, I will continue subbing while I complete the K-6 certificate program.

I would love to teach at this private school, but I want to continue to pursue the CEAS so I could have the option to teach in the public schools. I don't want to find myself in the position, three years from now, of wanting to teach in a public school and still lack the state credential.