Can you believe this!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherBug08, Mar 2, 2014.

1. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 2, 2014

I have a little kiddo who is defiant/out of control. She doesn't get her way she goes crazy. Well today she freaked out because she didn't want to play the game we were doing as a class. She destroyed my whole room by the time someone came to get her. What I am shocked about: my principal let her come right back in my room because she didn't want to go to the office and my principal left me with her. I had to deal with her continuing to destroy my room because my principal didn't want to handle it. She was screaming such rude things. You name it in my room it got tore up: my calendar, word wall, bulletin, and word work games (that I just made). What I couldn't believe is that she even threw things at the principal and still no consequence! She was not suspended. Also, I was told not to ever take her recess away because she just cannot come back from that. So basically lets just not give her any consequences because my principal doesn't want to deal with her. What is this little girl ever going to learn from all of this. I am a first year teacher, but I know this is just plain ridiculous. I shouldn't have to put up with this. I should be supported. Welp, I am definitely not coming back next year.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 2, 2014

Phew... I'm glad none of my girls are like some of the ones I've seen described here lately. Can't believe your principal would just wash his/her hands of it though... are there any other administrators in your building that could help? Do you have a school social worker or guidance counselor?

4. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 2, 2014

We have an assistant principal, but she was busy at the time. I understand that my school is in general more of a rough school, but I need to be supported. This lovely kiddo's mom and dad refuse to have her see the school counselor.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 2, 2014

I'm sorry! Does she have a behavior plan? An IEP? I would get a counselor or LSSP involved immediately!

6. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 2, 2014

She has a point sheet- for every 30 minutes on task she gets a smiley face. At the end of the day if reaches her goal (so many smiley faces) she gets a prize at the end of the day.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 2, 2014

What age are your kiddos? From the description, it sounds like you have real young kids... smaller, more immediate rewards, with shorter "being good" intervals might help.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 2, 2014

This. You should start the IEP process.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 2, 2014

I had a kid like that in my class last year- same thing, P would take no responsibility and would not take her out of the room. She would sometimes spend hours a day screaming, ripping things up, throwing things around the room, topping desks over, etc. It was extremely stressful and one of the main reasons I got a job in a much better school this year. My student did have an IEP for emotional/behavior disturbance, but only got pulled out for academics. Her sped teacher would send her back to my class if she misbehaved in sped. She wasn't allowed to spend time in the psych's office during academic times (she sometimes went at lunch) because kids weren't allowed to miss academic class. If I were you I'd be starting my resume immediately!

10. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 2, 2014

Her academics are great and mom won't allow a behavior goal. The principal said if mom doesn't want it there is nothing we can do. Have you ever heard stories of a principal just leaving an out of control like kid this in a room?

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2014

Is it possible she is missing social skills or cognitive flexibility skills to be able to deal with competition involved in a game? Turn taking? How to accept if you aren't correct or you've lost? Does she make up new rules to try to change the game? Is it worse if she is involved in a large group setting vs a small group one? Was there something about this particular game? Did she have other expectations as to what would be happening next? Was she done transitioning properly from the previous activity to accept this activity? There are a lot of factors that could surround a trigger like this one.

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 2, 2014

Yes. Have to manage this all the time. However, I have never met a principal who won't start an IEP process or won't apply consequences.

Really sounds like you need to sit down with your principal and figure out what is going on. Find the child's triggers and eliminate them.

13. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Mar 2, 2014

I honestly believe the whole reason she acts out is because she is incredibly spoiled at home. I think she has a hard time not getting her way or not getting first place in a game.

14. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Mar 2, 2014

Your responsibility is to teach - not to be a psychiatrist/psychologist/social worker/surrogate mom etc.etc.etc.

The child should have been removed from the room so that you could continue to do your job. Period.

15. Tish&Yanira

Tish&Yanira Rookie

Mar 2, 2014

Her behavioral issues doesn't sound normal. Does she display this type of behavior regularly?

16. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2014

A number of states, including the one I am in, have a teacher initiated suspension in the ed code. I would contact the association/union in your district and find out about safety rules and discipline rights in the contract. I would speak with the teacher from last year unless this is a Kindergartner.

I would start using buddy systems with another classroom instead of even bothering with your principal. If you are in the lower grades send her to a fifth or sixth grade class, no way will the older kids allow her to destroy the stuff in their classroom or allow her to be loud. If she is in the upper grades send her down to kinder. No way would she want it spread through out the school she couldn't be more well behaved than a kindergartner in the classroom.

Give extra recess to the rest of the class and have her sit out through that if need be since your idiot of a principal says not to recess consequences.

I would start looking for a new job-you do not want to stay with such an incompetent principal.

I would write up a list of the destroyed things and the prices it will cost to replace them and give them to the principal since the principal sent her back and allowed her to continue destroying the classroom supplies (probably not if I wasn't past probationary though).

I would start the paperwork for an SST and then onto an IEP due to potential emotional disturbance. Just because the principal says the parents don't want it does not mean the steps should not be taken. They can always refuse the testing. They can always refuse to sign the IEP, but you will have done your job to the best of your ability. Also if she ends up severely hurting another child you will have done what your could to stop it from happening. It will not fall on your shoulders.