Can you ask to resign?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AHS_Fan, Apr 18, 2014.

1. AHS_Fan

AHS_Fan Rookie

Apr 18, 2014

Hypothetical question/situation.

Suppose you are on a yearly contract and do not have any type of tenure.

Also suppose you are being fired/contract not being renewed. Instead of that happening, could you ask to resign instead? Is that possible? Would it be better?

Also, would a non-renewed contract be a kiss of death for future teaching jobs?

Just curious.

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 18, 2014

You can ask. The district may or may not honor the request.

Many applications ask if the applicant resigned in lieu of nonrenewal.

Nonrenewal is not the kiss of death.

I believe there are quite a few threads covering these topics if you're interested in searching.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2014

I resigned instead of being non renewed. My asst superintendent told me it would be the best thing. I could have if I wanted to applied for other jobs in the district. I did sub for them the net year but not at my old campus. At the time I was very angry and upset. But I realized later it was the best thing to happen for my family and career. I have now been in my "new" district 5 years. I became a great teacher, and have had many rolls of leadership here. There is a career after being non renewed.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 18, 2014

The best thing to do is resign before you are given a notice of nonrenewal. Generally, it's not a huge shock that you are going to be nonrenewed. Once you've been given the nonrenewal though, it is preferable to resign, though most schools will ask if you've ever resigned in lieu of nonrenewal or termination.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2014

Yes to all this.

One thing to consider about termination/non-renewal versus resignation is unemployment. You might or might not be eligible depending on how you leave your position. If you are planning to collect unemployment, it is worth researching this ahead of time.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2014

Ask your HR department. Here, all applications ask if you've resigned in lieu of non-renewal, so it won't help you on applications. I do know plenty of people who were non-renewed last year and got new positions, however they did resign and then did NOT check the box on their apps that said they resigned in lieu of non-renewal. The principal was put under a ton of pressure from the union to give at least neutral recommendations, so she told reference callers that everyone was "eligible for rehire" and just left out the part about how she had no desire to rehire them. The union somehow was able to say that if she said they were ineligible, she was implying they'd committed some crime that made them ineligible to teach anywhere.

Supposedly, you can't get unemployment if you resign, so that's a reason you might want to take non-renewal. However, in my last district they specifically wanted people to resign (apparently they thought all of the non-renewals made them look worse than many resignations, for some reason), so they offered bonuses for resigning and said they wouldn't contest your unemployment if you resigned. That's why you should check with HR or the union if you have one and see what your district policies are.