Can you appear 'too excited'?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by shadowrose45, Jun 22, 2006.

1. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

HI

Is it possible to sound too excited at an interview? I try to go in showing excitement at the possiblilty of working with their district.

I tend to be honest about my weak areas, such as testing. But I add to that that I'm always researching for new information.

I also am taking with me to interviews:

1 Resume
    2. personal philosophy
    3 3 reference letters
    4 A lesson plan- I'm using one on study skills, with the rationale that studyskills are lacking with so many students because they don't know 'how' to study effectively

I'm concerned because I've had 3 interviews, but have not been offered a job yet.

Am I getting discouraged too early?

Then, I had two more interviews yesterday- haven't heard back from them, of course. One I think I did well, the other, I got the feeling they weren't impressed. One of the women seemed interested in what I had to say, the other seemed very apathic. (Am sure it was something I did or didn't do, am not knocking her at all)

How do you all go to an interview? I know this probably seems rather basic.

I try and highlight my good qualities for their district. Yesterday, I said "Even though I'm not the most experienced candidate you'll have interview, I did want to express my willingness to learn whatever I don't know. I'm not afraid to ask questions, or research for answers. I think all teachers should be constantly learning as new research and strategies are coming out all the time. I also do have one small advantage over a more experienced teacher. I haven't had time to learn any bad habits. (I add a chuckle after this line)

I've also said that I don't believe in teaching to the SOL tests, alternately, I believe that it's important to incorporate the skills assessed on tests into the course materials throughout the year.

These are things that I really believe...are they wrong to admit to interviewers?

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or tips.

Patty

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2006

Hi Patty,

It's WAYYYY too early to get discouraged!!

As to the materials you bring to interviews, do the interviewers ever ask to see them? My perspective was a bit different, since I was looking for a job after 6 years of being out of the classroom; I had tons of experience but all I brought was a resume and some old evaluations (which no one ever looked at.)

I don't know whether "excited" is the right word. I think it's important to be enthusiastic and honest and professional; it sounds as though that's what you hit.

I also think it's important to showcase everything YOU have that other applicants don't. So you're right: you are ready and willing to be the kind of teacher they want you to be; I tend to be kind of set in my ways. I went into interviews ready to explain how I do things, rather than asking how they wanted them done.

It sounds like you're right on target. Hang in there. In most parts of the country the job market is brutal; you have to keep getting interviews until you find the job that's the right fit.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2006

There is such a thing as offering too much information. I don't see anything wrong with showing enthususiasm at all. I would rather interview someone with a personality versus a robot. Interviews are difficult things because you don't know the type of person the interviewer is. As in our normal every day to day dealings some people will like us and some will not. That being said, I don't think you should be discouragd at all. You 've had a lot of interviews ( and I suspect alot more in the near future) Relax and be yourself. Eventually the right fit will come along.

5. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

HI All

Thanks, but I'm thinking that if I'm not being offered a job out of 4 interviews, I'm likely doing something wrong.

I'm wondering if it's that I'm too old?

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2006

I don't know how old you are but I didn't start teaching until I was 40. I thought the same thing...who is going to hire someone this old if they could get young people in here!!!! Well I got hired on the second interview I went on and after working in the district for a while one I got to know one of the people on the interview team. She told me one of the reasons they picked me over the other canadates was my age. She said that they could tell all of my answers came from the heart and from life experience. So please so no think you are to old!!!!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2006

Nope.

I'm 48 (although math, with high demand) and turned down 2 offers to accept a 3rd).

With age comes stability, a real knowledge of what you want and what you don't, a confirmed work ethic... lots of things that a younger applicant may not bring to the table.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2006

Hmmm...

I think excitement is not what you want to show. Enthusiasm would be good though. If I were the interviewer, I think excitement would raise some questions in my mind about the stability of the candidate. Maybe enthusiasm is what you really mean...

My experience is that age is an asset, and I am older than all of you. Life experience seems to be a big selling point. And the reason you decided to change careers can be, too.

Don't get discouraged no matter how many times you are turned down. Unless you are going for something like a high school math position, there are likely to be many candidates for each position. And many of those candidates may have more experience than you. You'll land a job sooner or later.

9. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jun 22, 2006

Try not to mention things that you are less secure with. Make sure that you look each member of the panel in the eye and smile confidently. It is easy to be discounted or misinterspreted if you don't sell yourself from a place without desperation. Highlight your experience and expertise.