Can we get to know each other?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Caesar753, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

Salvete, omnes!

I'm pretty new to the board, and I absolutely love it! You guys have so much great information to share. Do you think we could do some introductions? Maybe you can share what subject you teach, how long you've been teaching, and the funniest thing you've ever seen or heard in your classroom or school.

I'll start!

I teach high school Latin, grades 9-12, all mixed grade classes.

I just finished my first real year teaching high school, but I taught my own college classes when I was in grad school.

The funniest thing a kid ever said to me was "You are acting like a pirate on summer vacation!" He was seven years old and really angry with me at the time, and I guess this was the meanest thing he could come up with.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

Welcome!

I teach high school and middle school social studies (currently Western Civ. and AP Euro) along with one section of Pre-Algebra (soon to be Algebra I, next year.)

4. kagrafasa

kagrafasa New Member

Jun 12, 2007

Hola!
    My name´s Kathy and I´m a second grade teacher in Barranquilla, Colombia. I just signed up today. Dealing with so many young kids there has been so many funny things they´ve said and done, hmm......let me see....one time I told a little boy that was in the pool that his eyes were red! He looked at me with a worried look on his face and asked: "They´re not blue anymore?"

5. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jun 12, 2007

Hello!
    I'm Katie and I will be teaching a 6th grade (self contained) class next year. I am in my first year of teaching and teach a 5/6 combo right now. I envision myself as a primary teacher, but apparently someone has other ideas. :) This year has been trial by fire and I'm excited to start off a fresh year with ideas in my head and actually have a concept of how to teach!! YEAH!

6. HMM

HMM Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

Hello All,

My Name is Mike and I Teach Mathematics at a 4 year college. I just finished my first year as a professor (I graduated with my Ph.D. last august). So far I've taught into prob/stat classes, calculus 1 and 2, linear algebra, numerical analysis, etc... I think this message board is great. My department at the college doesn't interact much so this is a nice place for me to go and voice my opinion or to seek others thoughts.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

I'm a math teacher on Long Island. I taught for 20 years, then spent 6 years as a SAHM with my 3 young kids (now 9-on-Monday, 7 and 4 years old.) I returned to teaching in September.

At this point I've taught just about every course our school offers. I just finished a year of Math 7, and I'm pretty sure I'm teaching Algebra I in the fall.

Before I left in 2000 I was department chair and taught only Seniors-- mostly Precalculus and Intro to Calculus. So this year has been a real eye-opener with the younger kids.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

I'm a Special Ed teacher just north of Toronto, Ontario. I taught in private schools for a couple of years before I had children, then stayed home with them for 10 years (they are 16 and 13). Now I am an old "new" teacher--going into my 6th year. We have just over 2 weeks left of school and I'm trying to hang on!

9. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

I will be teaching 6th grade at a new district starting in the fall. I taught 6th grade during the 05-06 school year but my position was cut due to an enrollment decline. I live in the Southern Tier of New York.

I've had many, many funny things said and/or happen to me over the years but one that I can think of now is when I was working in a daycare several years ago. A 5 year old boy looked at me very seriously and said, "Miss Amy, you have a very little head!"

10. gumbita

gumbita Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Hello! I will be teaching high school biology and will start my first year in the fall! I spent a few years trying to figure out what I wanted to do, from veterinary school, to working in research, to running a tutoring program - it was in this last one that I realized I wanted to teach. I would have never in a million years thought of that in college, but now it all makes so much sense!! I am excited to start and I look forward to more tips and advice from everybody! :)

11. MsPlace

MsPlace Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Hi. I teach ESL in high school. My classes are mixed grade levels, 9-12. I have taught six years, but I worked as a paraprofessional for over eleven years in several school districts.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 13, 2007

Hello! I teach high school English and reading at an alternative high school in a suburban district outside of Houston.

Previously I worked in an "inner city" district for 13 years. In my experience I have taught: 7th/8th English, 7th/8th reading, 7th/8th history, 7th math, 7th science, 9-12th English, desktop publishing, SAT prep, TAKS prep, and journalism/yearbook! I've pretty much done it all! LOL!

I *love* teaching journalism, but our alternative school doesn't offer that program. I'm a bit bummed about that. :p

I'm also currently working on my master's in educational leadership. I never really considered being an administrator until I got my new teaching assignment at the alternative school. The admin in my building are FABULOUS, and they've been a real inspiration!

13. samanthamaren

samanthamaren Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I was just hired for my first teaching job. I will teach 8th grade Science in North Carolina.
    I have my Masters in Education. I worked as an aide in a school for children with Aspergers and LOVED IT. I plan to go back to school soon for special education. I am really excited about teaching 8th grade science though because it is one of my favorites! Im also licensed to teach Social Studies and Reading.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 13, 2007

Hi!

I teach fourth graders in a suburban district in SW Ohio.

I am also a career changer, having previously worked as a lawyer in the Negotiation Division of a large city Prosecutor's Office. Some days I can't tell the difference!

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2007

After spending 7 years teaching elementary school and 15 years as a SAHM, I have finished my first year as a 6th grade science teacher in a middle school.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2007

I just finished year 11 as a middle school language arts/reading teacher at a rural school in KY. Before that I subbed grades K-12, taught high school English, and taugh homebound/hospital students . . . which gives me 14 years in education.

I have a BA in English with secondary teaching certification, and a MA in American & British literature.

I've been married for almost 7 years. My husband is a musician--lead guitarist for a country band. We have no children. I love animals.

17. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

I am from the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I am a recent graduate. I have always wanted to be a teacher, but just never went to school for it. I was laid off of my job in 2002 so I went to school and recently graduated so I am now looking for an elementary teaching job.

18. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 13, 2007

Hi! I'm Mendy from South Carolina. I've taught sixth grade social studies (dawn of time to discovery) for the last 10 years. Absolutely love it! I'm a huge fan of the interactive notebook, and this year my focus is on differentiating instruction.

19. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

Hi there, I'm Katy. I am looking for a high school Biology position in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. This is the first summer for the past few years where I didn't have much to do so Ive been on the boards getting ideas and such (as well as doing my online graduate work).
    I knew I wanted to be a teacher at a very young age and Im so excited its just around the corner (hopefully!)

20. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 13, 2007

I'm Pam and I just completed my 3rd year teaching middle grades math for a large school district. I am taking my final class for my MEd and it is kicking my butt! Teaching is a 2nd career for me after 12 or so years in the insurance industry, and I LOVE it!!! Students seem to enjoy my real life stories about CRAZY adults that I infuse into math lessons.

I have heard and seen so many funny things in my classroom that it is difficult to choose only one, but I will. On the last day of school one of my 7th grade, repeater from last year, skater students hugged me (first shock) and then said "I loved your class this year, Mrs. ____, it didn't suck as much as I expected it to!" I took it as a compliment and laughed! :)

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

Well the one story that comes to mind came from when I was subbing. I subbed for one of my friends. She was a 6th grade reading teacher. She warned me that her first class of the day could be a "little challenging" I thought how bad could a bunch of 6th graders be, I have two of them in my own family and could handle them. Well needless to say she was right they were some what challenging. So I had to put on the mean face sub act. Appearenlty I did a pretty good job at being mean because the next class starts to come into the room. One boy comes up to me and said, " I heard your a bitch, are you a bitch or did you just have a bad night sleep?" I was floored. The entire class got dead silent as this student was asking me this question. All I could say back was, "If you disrespect me the way the last class did, then yes I will be one. If you respect me I will respect you." The second class was soooo much better than the first. I did want to say that would be Mrs. Bitch to you, but I didnt think that would get me a job at this school.

22. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jun 13, 2007

Wow txmomteacher2! That student definitely had some "balls!" Sound like you handled it very well. I don't know what I would have said.

23. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Jun 14, 2007

I just finished my first year....

I teach 8th grade Language Arts in a "smallish" town at a Title I campus is East Texas. This was a tough year, but I survived and can't wait to get back at it. I will also be teaching an AVID elective for 8th graders, and will spend a week in San Diego for training in August. Yahoo!!

I appear to be the exception, having gone the ACP route. My degree is in music, and I lived in Nashville for 12 years, and did some work in the music industry. Maybe one of these days I will have enough time, money, and energy to get a higher degree. For now, I am happy to be doing what I am doing.

I have 3 children, ages 8, 6, and 2.5.

I want to improve my procedures and beoome more secure in my teaching style this year.

:) Teresa

24. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

I like this thread!

I am a recent graduate, and I just got a job teaching high school English (not sure which grade(s) yet!). This will be my first year teaching...I'm very excited and a little nervous. :D I'm already enrolled in a 2 week Reading endorsement class with other various teachers and principals in my district.

I will also be planning my wedding coming up hopefully late March/early April.

25. kt_lock_13

kt_lock_13 Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

Hello, from Oregon

Hello,

I have taught High School English for four years. I spent 3 1/2 years in the classroom, and now I am teaching in an virtual charter school. Right now, I am teaching 9th and 10th grade English, as well as a Journalism course.

The funniest thing I have seen in the classroom is when my seniors (when I taught 12th grade last year in a brick and mortar school) tried to play a practical joke during a test day. Before class started, they decided to hide somewhere. They assumed that I would look out in the hall for them. Instead, I sat at my desk and graded papers. Ten minutes later, they sent a "spy" to see what was going on... I calmly sat at my desk and said, "You have 40 minutes...I would get started if I were you." Abandoning her classmates, the student immediately started on the test. The others came in soon after. After the test, they commented, "We thought we were going to play a joke on you...but we got worked." :D

Nice to meet you!

26. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 15, 2007

I taught middle school (and a few years of high school) for 26 years before I quit in a huff and walked out. I now teach College Writing (I and II) and College Reading (I and II). Sometimes I teach Introduction to College Life, which usually ends up being a computer course as a shockingly large number of people think they can function in today's world without any computer knowledge. Guess again, bozos.

I do not suffer fools lightly; in fact, I don't suffer them at all. The Bible is harder on fools than on actual sinners, and rightly so. I am probably the strictest person on this forum in terms of student behavior (and adult behavior, too!) but in spite of my inflexible requirement that decent people behave properly in public, and that annoying way I reward students who work and penalize students who choose not to, I somehow managed to receive excellent feedback from students and most parents even while administrator-types came to hate even people who had the same first name as I.

I took that to mean that I did a good job. I really couldn't care less what an administrator thinks.

Hey, OXYMORON!! "Thinking administrator!" Hahahahahahaha

The funniest thing I ever saw in my classroom? Gosh, we laughed all the time. But possibly it might be one of the many times our then-principal took out his teeth, put them in his back pocket, and sat down, biting himself on the a s s and jumping up yelling. He did this regularly.

27. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 15, 2007

Mamacita I could not agree more with you. I face the same problems as you do. The other department chairs hate me becuase I acutally create my own materials and do not rely on other teachers in my department to do teaching based things for me. Supposedly I make other department heads look bad becuase I work hard and they just don the minimum (well most of them, the new math department head is great). My prespective on this is that I am the department chair it is my responsiblity to be a good teacher not only for my kids but for the other teachers in my department. I do not take shortcuts to save myself time! I do whatever is best for the kids. When I taught English I actually wrote comments on the bi weekly time writes even though we were told not too, becuase the department head did not want to do it to her class. This year in math I actully gave my kids notes so that they would learn and I did not expect the textbook to teach them!

Most of them just sit in their office all day telling their teachers in their department what to do. I actually teach and allow my teachers a real say in the policies of my department.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2007

Brendan, move to LI and teach in my school!!!

29. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 15, 2007

Alice, don't tempt me! I have it up to here with lazy teachers both new and old. Particulary the ones who do not want to work hard (and rely on others) and take the easy way out even if it hurts the kids. We are teachers like any profession it is not easy it takes hard work, creativity, and collaberation do this job right. Too many teachers just do things to be easy on themselves and it drives me nuts!

30. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 15, 2007

How about those teachers who don't get to school until the bell is about to ring, and almost beat the buses out of the parking lot? Those are good ones, yo.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2007

When they arrive almost an hour after I do in the morning and leave 2 hours earlier I admit to a twinge of jealousy, and I wonder what I am doing wrong. Then I stop and think about who is really doing something wrong and who is doing all that they can.

32. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 15, 2007

Or the ones who show up for their own class unprepared to teach.

33. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Jun 17, 2007

Hi everyone!

I will be teaching 6th grade LA at a middle school in Honolulu. I previously taught 4th grade at an elementary school in Kalihi.

One of the funniest things a student said to me came from a 1st grader, well into the second semester. She looked up at me and asked, "Do you have a job?" I didn't know weather to laugh or cry.

34. jaylynn917

jaylynn917 Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

Hi!

Hi, I'm Jennifer. I teach 6th, 7th & 8th grade language arts and literature at a small private school in South Florida. This will be a new position for me - we just moved from Michigan where I taught 7th & 8th grade Life Management in a public school and also Parent Education for an 11-district school system. I'm 30 but tend to be confused for a student because I'm short and apparently have a young-looking face, so, one of my favorite student comments was when one of my students said, "oh my gosh, Mrs. V - you look like a mom today." I reminded that particular student that I am a mom so I should look like one - but I never wore that outfit again.

35. Librarian79

Librarian79 Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

Hi, I'm a library media specialist in the Buffalo, NY area. I just graduated in September 2006, and worked as a LTS in a suburban school district for the 2006-2007 school year. I was just offered a permanent position in another school for the 2007-2008 school year. I'm excited because the competition for LMS's around here is fierce!

My funniest moment happened with a 1st grader this past year. We just read "Frederick" by Leo Lionni. We were making "mouse tail booklets" that took sentences from the story and they had to cut out words and fill them into the sentences. The sentence was "The mice gathered ______, _______, & _______ for food in the winter." The answers were nuts, barley, and straw. One of the boys started shouting "I can't find my nuts! I can't find my nuts!" He had cut that word out and it had fallen on the floor. I could barely hold in my laughter (of course they didn't understand, thank goodness!) :eek: