Can we all stop using the word "kiddos"?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Odradek, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2018

It took me three episodes of Peppa Pig to realize that the British use of the word ‘been’ takes the place of ‘been by’ or ‘been over to see you’. I was totally lost...guess I’ll have to watch more and “Give it a go.”:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 24, 2018

Haha!

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2018

Wow guys :roll:....I think I get it now!!

Why is it okay for some people to call us guys, girls or fellas, folks or y'all? I think it all depends on the situation, and school seems to be a no-nonsense zone for most of us.

I am totally thrown for a loop whenever I am trying to learn something from a non-native English speaker. It seems next to impossible for me to comprehend anything I hear when the speaker is pronouncing words outside of the usual manner. But who am I to say what is 'usual'? I dropped a math class because jeez, I was struggling already but I had to contend with somebody I didn't understand?! I found the same problem existed when I took online Grad ESL classes that required almost every assignment involved some computer-designed project. I had to make a blog, enter book reviews in Good Books, make a cloud with vocabulary terms. I thought to myself, this is requiring me to learn TWO things at once! Am I taking English as a Second Language or Computers for Dummies? Can't I just type a paper and put it in Blackboard and be done with it?

I suppose this was one of the first things I should have learned in ESL - acceptance of all languages, dialects etc. Think I kinda snoozed in Linguistics.

Speaking of computers, anyone who has ever had to go through the help desk computer call center certainly feels my pain. How many times have you heard, "D like Tom and T like David"?

My point is that it becomes difficult for some of us to listen to slang, conversations, instructions and every day talk that is outside the norm. Kiddo - yeah it grates my nerves too. But look how long we've been saying kid? Isn't that a baby goat? :rolleyes:

Sigh...