Can U suggest good lit book for hero unit?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jul 19, 2009.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

I am putting together a hero unit, about community and heroes, people we look up to, military and other subjects. I need a good lit book to tie in with the unit, this is 3rd grade...any ideas? Thanks

3. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 19, 2009

We'll Never Forget You, Roberto Clemente is one of my favortie books at 3rd grade level. :) If you do a search for it, you will find some activities to go along with the book.

Roberto Clemente's life was a rags to riches story. He grew up in poverty in Puerto Rico to become the first Latin American to play professional sports in America and the first Latin American in the Baseball Hall of Fame. More importantly, he was a world class humanitarian, building a sports center for the youth of Puerto Rico, visiting children in hospitals, and dying tragically on a mission to take food and supplies to the victims of the 1972 Nicaraguan earthquake. His was a life of service, to his community and the world. This quote of his sums it up:

Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2009

I am a huge fan of Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, but it depends on the kids' reading level. It's an advanced book for 3rd, probably better for 4th or 5th, but it definitely makes my students think of heroism in a new way.

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2009

I was also thinking about the Berenstein Bears and the Truth, or the BB and the Golden Rule...not heroes exactly, but about character. I am doing an integrated unit about heroes, citizenship, community heroes, the community, can a child make a difference? and other related topic. Maybe a fable here would be a good tie in?