Can this happen ??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by edu, Jun 30, 2009.

1. edu

edu Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

my friend working for a school A attended for a teacher interview of a school B around in march. They gave him a job offer letter and he also gave his fingerprinting for background checking. At the end of the school year(May last week) he quit the job at school A and went to school B to complete the balance paper work. Then at school B they said that they were discussing about the budget and so the hiring was on the hold. They asked him to wait for few weeks before they tell him about his position. What's going on ? Can they do this to hm ? He lost the job that he already had.

3. 88tuner

88tuner Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

Well...

If friend accepted job B under an offer, the offer is only binding when the B school board votes and officially hires. Never resign a position until this happens. If they did vote to hire, and your friend quite job A after the official vote, then there are plenty of legal grounds to pursue. There may even be a good case if there is a written offer from the principal and a paper trail to follow. Suing a school district may get you a settlement but may cost other jobs down the road. Not easy.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

I agree with 88tuner - you don't have a job until you sign the contract and that usually doesn't happen until you are approved by the school board. Even with a letter of intent, if you read the fine print, there are out clauses for the school.

You should never, ever resign until you have a signed contract in your hand, or at least copy of board minutes where you were approved for your position. I don't think there is anything your friend can do at this point but begin job hunting :sorry:

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

Like the others have said, there's nothing your friend can do. There is no signed contract yet, so they aren't required to offer him a position. :-(

Does he get the feeling from the principal that they are stalling or what?

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2009

I agree.

7. edu

edu Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

He is trying somewhere else. But he has gone on ethical grounds. He said to school A that he would quit the job when he was asked if he would return next year. He was honest. That was the problem. He si learning the game in a hard way. School B didn't say NO yet.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2009

I truly hope that school B comes through with the job offer. Unfortunately, he is learning the hard way about the teaching job market. I am constantly reading on the job seeker forum that you always keep interviewing until you have a signed contract. I was hired before the job market crashed so I have never experienced what new grads are going through,but, I sympathize with them all the way.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

This is why I haven't resigned from my job yet. They know I am leaving and begging me to resign because they can't start hiring until I do. I thought about being nice and helping them out, and then figured "why should I do that?" They are going to have to wait until I sign my contract.

That said, when he was offered the job and accepted it over the phone, they both entered a verbal agreement. This should uphold in court. We discussed this in my HR class for school administrators.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

Under California law, only the school board can make an offer of employment of a public school teacher. An administrator can only make a recommendation to the board to hire a teacher.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 30, 2009

Same in Indiana, when my principal makes the call (and I have heard the exact call) this is what is said," I would like to recommend you to the school board for the high school PE position. Would you be willing to allow me to make this recommendation?'

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 30, 2009

That is the way it is in most states.

13. edu

edu Rookie

Jun 30, 2009

He was offered the job by HR Director of the school district after principal and himself interviewed my pal. Both of them(HR and my bud) signed the job offer leter. My friend also paid for the FBI background check. He quit the job two weeks before he called them once again over the phone and confirmed his position although he had written physical agreement document. It's just unfortunate.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2009

I would think with the letter of agreement, he has a lot of ground to stand on.

Hopefully he will be able to find another position and it would be a non-issue. Because that's not a great way to start a new position.

15. edu

edu Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Good News

School district B finally came up with job. He also got offer from anther employer C. Anyway,he accepted and signed the contract for School district B. But he said that he learned the lesson the hard way. So folks, pleae be careful!!!

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks for the update edu and glad it turned out so well for your friend.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

Glad everything worked out for your friend.

18. edu

edu Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

Thanks to all for sharing your valuable opinion.
    Lesson: Don't quit a job until you sign the another contract.

19. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

This was the problem I ran into my first year of teaching. I was offered a job at one school, however I took the advice of my mentor teacher and kept interviewing. It was a good thing I did because the job at the first job fell through and I was able to get a job at another district. Good luck to your friend.