Can they hear what they're saying?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 28, 2012

May we assume that if your daughter's class has no textbook, that you and the other parents are getting a discount on your book rental? If not, I think you should DEMAND one. I can deal with teaching without a textbook, but I can't deal with being charged for something and not getting it.

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

Public schools generally don't charge book rental fees.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

Except in Indiana. :haha: I student taught there and was surprised to see this practice. I hadn't heard of it before and I haven't heard of it since.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

This was exactly my point.

Yes! It doesn't matter the reason why she leaves at 2; however, instead of focusing on when you're leaving, focus on when you can be there for the students.

I have never heard this practice either!

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 28, 2012

In Indiana, book rental fees run into the hundreds of dollars per kid. It's dreadful.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2012

We have book fees in Kentucky as well. We also have technology fees. Not at all schools, of course, but certainly in my district.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 29, 2012

Wow. Just wow. I would not put up with any of this in my school.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2012

Well, to be honest, I don't offer help after school. My contract time is over at 2; I used to offer help until 3, and there were far, far too many times I got stuck at work until 5 or 6 at night because the parents decided it was my job to watch the kids until they got off of work (no buses after school, so they have to be picked up). I'd love to offer help, but I'm not a babysitter in the bargain.

And then I have kids who just stay - because their parents told them it was my job to stay after and offer help whenever they need it - and maybe I have an appointment or a meeting or a training I have to attend or I'm going to see a homebound student - and the kids end up sitting in the office, being babysat by a secretary (who inevitably gets stuck until 5 or 6 at night).

With regards to the textbook... maybe her teachers are experiencing the same issues my district is. I'm sure the teacher could have phrased it a bit better, but when we don't have enough of something for the kids, we direct parents to call the school district offices and complain, because the SD doesn't listen to the teachers. This has been happening so much lately that the SD is retaliating against us, but whatever. Textbooks are fairly necessary in schools.

In short Alice... I'm really not sure that you can complain that a teacher doesn't work past contract time... but you sure as heck can raise a fuss over the book situation.

9. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

My thoughts...

Just my thoughts.

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

My own two kids frequently have to go to other teachers in the department for tutoring. I'm ok with it, myself.

11. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

But the science teacher provides it 5 mornings/week for 45 minutes each time. That's generous.

12. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2012

Reading this thread, I think I'm changing my mind about the issue. My teachers usually provided extra help whenever we needed it after school, bu you are right that 45 minutes before school is also generous.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2012

We aren't allowed to do that.

15. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

That's too bad.

16. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

:) I just feel fortunate that my kids live walking distance to their schools. As working parents, it would be hard to pick them up at 3 or 4 from tutoring or band practice or clubs.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 29, 2012

This is my issue as well.

Two years ago, I offered extra help one afternoon a week for my 6th grade students. Out of 50 students, I was lucky to have 5 show up, but I did have 2-3 that showed up every week. Fortunately, all the parents were very good about picking the kids up on time there. I also worked in the 21st Century Afterschool program, so it didn't really matter, since I was at school till 5:30pm every day anyway.

This year, though, is different. The SPED teacher asked if the P had approached me about giving extra help because a parent of one of his kids had asked about it. I told him the P had not asked me yet. If the P did ask, my answer would be this: I'm willing to do extra help ONLY IF the parents are going to be here on time to pick their child up. We also have no late bus service and I am NOT willing to stay at school watching 1 or 2 students until the parents decide it's time to come by and get them. I also think the response to extra time would be even less at my current school because most kids are not going to stay any longer than they have to.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 29, 2012

I usually only stay one or two days after school and it's to get work done. Kids rarely come to me for help. We do have a half hour of intervention built into our schedule though.

19. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2012

Yup, both of my parents came home from work at 6, so my sister and I usually needed to wait in the school for a few hours after after school activities or extra help. So, morning help might be better for parents who work, but I don't think it's the teacher's responsibility to adjust to each family's schedule. My parents didn't think it was wrong that my teachers didn't provide morning help, but appreciated the efforts they were making to give any kind of help.

20. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Sep 29, 2012

I absolutely agree with this. I am so glad that my son's teacher is having a study group for an upcoming test AND that she sent an email to the parents about it. That's above and beyond and now that I know about it, I can force my son to go. :haha:

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2012

I've had MAJOR issues with after school activities this year in terms of parents picking up their children very late. Every single time. I wouldn't blame a teacher for not staying after. Not for a second.

22. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2012

If you opt to provide after school help, couldn't you write up a document that the parents sign saying that if they're late, they need to pay you per minute?

23. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2012

How old do students need to be before they're allowed to leave the teacher and wait for their parents in the lobby?

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 29, 2012

At some point not picking a child up becomes abandonment and the police and child protective services can become involved.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2012

Nope.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 29, 2012

I wouldn't even leave a high school student. When I coached hs, I would always wait until the kid drove off campus or a parent picked her up.

There is too much potential for liability otherwise.

27. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Sep 29, 2012

I don't stay after school past my contracted time except for the one day a week I have quiz bowl practice. I am at school half an hour earlier than my contracted time which is an hour before school starts.

As for leaving the kid there in the lobby, I take kids to stu co stuff all the time, quiz bowls and art competitions. I never leave until each kid has been picked up. There are always three or four that I wait with forever. The students are a lot more apologetic than the parents.

28. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2012

I offer extra help on Tuesdays and Thursdays for about an hour after school. I would love to be able to offer more, but I really don't have the time for it. This is the policy for most teachers in my department and I haven't had any parent get upset about it. I think the math and science teachers are both very generous about extra help because they are offering it everyday.

However, I can't imagine having to wait for the parents to come pick my students up!

I don't think teachers should be required to provide extra help and it's important to appreciate them making the effort. If your child needs the help, I think parents need to do what they can to get them to school when they need to, even if it means having to bring a younger child with them in the early morning or having the child wait after school. (My parents worked, so starting from junior high, I needed to wait a few hours for my parents to come after I met with a teacher.) It was never suggested that my teachers needed to provide morning help to fit into our schedule.

29. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

If we have students stay after for any reason (club, practice, tutoring, retake, etc.) we must stay where they are visible to us until their parent comes to get them unless the child is 18. It's led to some long nights with drama club, but I can't imagine just leaving kids there unsupervised. In addition to the legal liability, I would never be ale to live with myself if something happened to one of them.

30. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2012

It's definitely different in my school. Students are free to go wherever they want to unsupervised after school. After clubs or extra help, they can leave campus (driving or walking) or they usually hang out in the cafeteria or lobby while they wait for their parents. It's never been an issue, but I can understand why a school might want you to wait.

31. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 30, 2012

I can see where you would have some concerns that I would be bringing up to either the teacher or someone above. Like the title of their thread, maybe they just didn't realize what they were actually saying. But to have the majority of the teachers say something that would cause concern?

32. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2012

I agree that not having a textbook is definitely an issue. I'm glad you're making a phone call!

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 30, 2012

Textbooks aren't even discussed here. It's a given we're not getting any.

34. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 30, 2012

:2cents:
    I agree...I do provide tutoring for a former student right now, but it is because I worry about him. I don't feel that it should be expected of me. If a school wants to provide this service, they need to pay their teachers to do it. I work two other jobs. When I have to report to those jobs, I have to leave as soon as school is out. They do not have a set schedule, it depends on need. I don't think it is fair for the parents or school to EXPECT me to work longer than my contract hours without pay. :2cents:

35. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 30, 2012

As for the extra time for help, since everybody has different schedules before and after school or has to take county busses home at specific times, we just help during lunch. Students can take their lunches into our classrooms if they get in within the first ten minutes of lunch, and it's great because the teachers are within their contracted time, students don't have to stay late or get in really early, and it's fun to just hang out and eat lunch with the kids. (Some teachers do it once a week, some do it every day)

We also are starting a homework club where all the kids can come in and do work from multiple classes. Teachers can recommend it to kids (but we can't make it mandatory).

We're not allowed to give after-school detentions and other things because of the timing issues as well.

36. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2012

The textbook issue is frustrating to me. I have some parents who INSIST that their kid get the book and they apparently make the kid read the chapters. This is BAD. Our books are out of date and the kids end up with conflicting information. I try to tell them that we do not use the book, but they won't listen, especially when they have an IEP accommodation.

I want them to learn what I am teaching them, based on modern science and current standards. I do not need kids telling me on their test that there is no water on the Moon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.