Can the school promote my son even if he failed??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by proudmomofthree, Sep 4, 2006.

1. proudmomofthree

proudmomofthree New Member

Sep 4, 2006

My son is going into the 6th grade this week, even though he received all E's on his report cards last year in 5th grade!

My son goes to a public school in Michigan and receives Special Need services due to OCD, ADHD and Tourettes Syndrome. At the end of the year, the school Social Worker tested him academically and even though it was a short test, it showed that in some subjects he was at a 7th grade level.

The problem is that he is very smart, but can't do the work and hand it in. He just can't seem to keep up with what is required of him.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to have him do the 5th grade over, with extensive help from me and the Social Worker at school, instead of shoving him through to 6th grade without any organizational skills or the ability to complete a single assignment?

He is to the point now where in his IEP, they have made an accomodation where he can only print and not be required to write in cursive. His printing is terrible; you can't even understand it, and nobody is even helping to correct this. It doesn't seem that they care about if he will be able to attend college or what kind of life he will end up living.

I guess I feel like they are trying to push him through so he will be the Junior High School's problem after this year.

He is bullied everyday by the kids in his grade, and seems to get along with kids in the younger grades. Socially, it seems that holding him back would be the best thing for him also.

After speaking with his Social Worker at school the last time I spoke with her, she suggested that I look up information on Asperger's Disorder, since my son has the symptoms. I can't believe it! That is my son! He has every sign of this disorder. It also states that many times it is midiagnosed as ADHD, OCD or Tourettes Syndrome. He has failed to mature socially, and he acts younger than my 7 year olds a lot of the time, and this is really causing him to be bullied by the kids his own age.

I am in the process of getting the right diagnosis for him, but unfortunately he will start 6th grade before I can even see a Psychologist or Psychiatrist.

Does anybody know about my rights in Michigan to hold my son back because he did not master everything that was required in 5th grade? I would appreciate it so much if anyone could please give me any advice at all.

Thanks in advance!

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 4, 2006

You may have to hold an IEP to get this done but it is your right as a parent to call an IEP. Have you thought of putting him in a special day class for 6th grade? Maybe that would help. Before you put him back in 5th grade see what the junior high has to offer in terms of special education. Otherwise your decision to move him back to 5th seems like a good one. You might also want to contact an attorney or advocate about this. Ask any other special education parents if you know of an advocate or attorney you could talk to. I am from California but I have been a special education teacher form several years. Another possibly is sending him to a non-public school that specailizes in Autisim and Asperger's Syndrome. There is a school like this in my area. Maybe there is one in your area too. The school district would foot the bill. Anyway I wish you the best for your son. Terry G.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2006

I am sorry that the school does not seem to be meeting the needs of your son. Are they following his IEP? They are required to by law. I do not know about Michigan specifically, but I know at my school we can only recommend that a child repeat a grade. The parent makes the final decision. It makes sense to me that it would work the opposite way, too. A parent should be able to decide to hold their child back a year.

I would insist on a meeting with the school psychologist, principal, counselor, and anyone else that knows your son (previous teachers if possible).

The information you learned about Asperger's sounds encouraging! This may finally give you some answers and also some new strategies for helping your son.

5. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Sep 4, 2006

Our schools always promote. We have tried to fight to keep one of our foster boys from promoting, but the school wouldn't hear it!!! In our district you can only repeat one time during your "school years". The child we tried to hold back had already been to T-1 (transitional first) so he was not allowed to repeat the 7th grade. When we recieved him in our home, he had all F's. He was not even allowed to go to summer school! Alot of schools are into social promotions.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 4, 2006

In many states students on an IEP cannot be retained. Does your district have a Parent Advocate for families of identified students? Every year you should receive a copy of a booklet about your child's rights as an identified student; I believe it is called "Your IDEA"; check it for information.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2006

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 4, 2006

Our spec. ed. kids can be retained. Is he age appropriate for 6th (has he repeated other grades?) Here, parents have the last say, especially with spec ed kids. If your school isn't meeting your needs as far as explanations, then go to your district spec ed offices and try to get more information there. Good luck!

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

I was going to say the same thing about special ed kids - in our state, it is HIGHLY frowned upon to retain them. Not that you'd find it anywhere in writing that you CAN'T, but...if you do it, there is a huge investigation. Usually, the parents are against it, however, and that is clearly not the case here.

And we do have the rule about multiple retentions. A child can only be retained once in elementary school. So, if he's already been retained once, he can't be retained again.
    Kim

10. map

map Companion

Sep 4, 2006

You are the parent. Contact the principal and special ed director and set up a meeting that day if that doesn't work contact the Superintendent. You don't have time to waste with school starting. Show them the report card with failing grades and explain the situation. If he has an IEP and is still getting E's there is something wrong with that picture. The accommodations in the IEP should be helping him find success. Maybe look at those and make some changes. If writing is extremely difficult for him then maybe allow him to use a laptop to type assignments on and take notes. This is how he will function in college. Yes, he needs to be able to write but not necessary all day long. You might want to have someone join you at the meeting. There are parent advocate groups in Michigan check your area. Get all the facts from the school before making any assumptions. They may have a reason for moving him on. Stay calm and do what is best for your child.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

I think it will depend on his IEP. Talk a look and see if it says it is dependent on his mastery of his IEP goals or if it will be dependent on the agreement of his IEP team (sp. ed. teacher, regular ed. teacher, therapists, PARENTS, ....).

12. proudmomofthree

Sep 4, 2006

Thank you so much for your responses!

To answer on question that was asked, my son has not been retained at all in elementary.

He attends school in a normal classroom setting. The school doesn't want to put him in Special Education classes because academically, he is very smart.

Socially, school is a nightmare for my son. Does anyone here have experience with children with Asperger's Syndrome? My son acts very immateur and jumps around all of the time. He is in 6th grade and loves Power Rangers, something that kids in even the 5th grade have outgrown. He has a habit of picking his nose, walking around with food on his face and clothes after eating, and no matter how much I explain to him that he needs to be aware of other kids around him watching what he does, it seems he does it without even realizing it. This causes him to be teased relentlessly everyday.

Do any of you think it is appropriate to have him repeat the 5th grade based on social issues?

Do children with Asperger's Syndrome attend regular schools? Have any of you ever worked with a child with this type of social deficiency?

Any information any of you have would really be appreciated.

Again; THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP! I no longer feel lost and alone :)

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 4, 2006

14. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 4, 2006

I had a 16-year old with Asperger's in a class with emotionally disturbed students. He liked Pokemon and he was teased by everyone. He did work at a presechool and helped take care of younger kids. He also got along well at his synagogue. Do you think your son might like martial arts? This would improve his coordination and social skills. The kid that I had was assigned a one-on-one aide to help him out. This might be an option for your son. Hope this helps and let us know how this all comes out. Terry G.

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2006

My school has several Asperger's kids right now...ranging in severity from very mild to ones who really stick out. Yes, they can go to regular schools, and with caring teachers and good IEP's, they can even do very well. Some really famous people are suspected to have Asperger's...even Einstein! It's not a death sentence...I'm glad you're feeling better. But, you know, here there is a support group for parents of kids with Asperger's, and that may be really helpful if you can find one in your area. Check around, ask at your county's BOE sped department.
    Kim

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 4, 2006

As the parent of a child, YOU can request to have an IEP at any time!! I would request the principal to be at that meeting as you would like to discuss the placement of your child. Is there a reason they want to promote him? Remember you need to advocate for your child. If you're like me, I tend to get emotional, bring a friend who understands the situation & know what you want. Write down your questions before you go.

Make sure the IEP is being followed! Put the use of a planner/organizer into his IEP. What other organizational aides would benefit him? Get it into his IEP.
    Who diagnoses Aspbergers? Is it the doctor or Psychologist? Take your knowledge to the appropriate person.
    Where in Michigan are you?
    Advocate, advocate, advocate for your child.

Good luck!

17. proudmomofthree

Sep 4, 2006

Meeting with the school Social Worker tomorrow.

Martial Arts sounds like a good idea for my son. He has shown a great interest in the past. I live in Pinconning, Michigan, which is about 25-30 miles from the nearest big city. I have limited income and no vehicle at this time, so it is hard to even get him to doctor's appointments.

I am meeting with the school Social Worker tomorrow and will be checking out the web sites you have provided; Thanks!

I will let you know how it goes.

18. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 5, 2006

I noticed your comment about the illegible printing/cursive. A few years ago we had a student at our school for whom this was an issue. He was allowed to type up on the computer as much as possible. Ie. questions in a write in textbook he had to write, but a story writing assignment he would type. If printing is part of what is keeping your son from turning in his work, maybe typing it up would help. Then you could focus on the printing on the side. (I think there is a company called Zaner Bloser or something like that which has a whole printing/cursive curriculum.)

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 7, 2006

In my area it is the parents who make the final call on this. The school can strongly recommend a child repeat a grade, but they can not force them to. The most we can do is require summer school, but what do you follow through with if the child can't repeat without parental consent?

20. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2006

If the school social worker said your child may have Aspergers then the school is responsible to have him tested or evaluated at their expense. Call to set up a meeting ASAP! Do not take no for an answer. I do know if you have an IEP in place then you can request a meeting at any time. Fight for your child to get the right services, there are many available in the Michigan Public school system. Remember, as the old saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

21. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 7, 2006

I am just beginning a TA position in a Learning Support room, but we have a boy with Asperger's come to our classroom just to work on social skills. Otherwise he is with kids on his grade level. I would agree with the others. You need to push to have him tested. Be ready to stand your ground. It will probably take a long time. I have had experience with kids in second grade that should be in Sp. Ed. and it is a long drawn out process.

22. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2006

I agree, it is a long process but with you on their backs they WILL get it done quicker. Good luck!