Can Students Opt Out On State Standards?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by mariecurie, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Nov 21, 2014

No need to apologize - as long as we respect each other's differences, healthy debate should always be welcome. I enjoyed reading everyone's responses.

2. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Nov 21, 2014

And so we begin the discussion on dogma vs. science. Without evidence or scientific observation in nature, religion falls into the first category along with Bigfoot and other pseudosciences.

And about your previous comment - if we are all on the same page as to which definition of "truth" we're using (consistent with fact or reality), then in order for something to be true it must be based on evidence. Anything that you have to take on faith, by definition, has none.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 21, 2014

If I were out to condescend to Peregrin, I could have inverted and thrown back at him a claim he made earlier in this thread about those who believe: I could have asserted that people don't get over the need to deny God until they're sufficiently evolved mentally. He would almost certainly find such a statement offensive, and he'd be right: it IS condescending. Worse, it's a species of shaming; its goal is to shut down a line of argument not by reason but by impugning the person arguing.

But my goal in pointing out the errors in Peregrin's logic is not to shut him up. It's to get him to argue his side more compellingly, without overreaching either in logic or in rhetoric. (The adjective "Jesuitical" is applied to subtle, highly disciplined argumentation for a reason: if a Jesuit approves one's logic, it's darned solid.) I'd love to see Peregrin descending to fewer digs and gibes - but one surmises from his prose that he's been his family's Sebastian, dissainted and dissed, so to some extent he is merely doing unto Christians here as he has been done to by Christians elsewhere, and that is great shame indeed.

And if I truly intended to condescend with vocabulary, I wouldn't have just made up the word "dissainted" in the calm confidence that readers of A to Z do have the mental tools to discern what it must mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.