Can someone review these application questions I have answered?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Padawan, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Padawan

Padawan Rookie

Nov 10, 2012

1. What do you want to accomplish as a teacher?
    I want my students to develop into responsible citizens who make the right choices. I will accomplish this by having a structured classroom management system that uses tiered consequences for any improper behavior conducted by the students. By placing the responsibility of maintaining proper behavior in the students hands I will teach my students the correlation between the negative choice of conducting in improper behavior and the negative consequences that occur because of that choice.

2. How will (do) you go about finding out about students' attitudes and feelings about your class?.
    At the beginning of the year, a multiple choice inventory survey should be conducted focusing on the subjects being taught and various questions on how the students like to learn. Then after each grading period ends, a similar survey should be conducted that focuses on problems students have had and adjustments students would like to see happen. As the teacher, I would then make any appropriate adjustments within my means. This gives the students more ownership in the class, creating a better learning environment.

3. An experienced teacher offers you the following advice: "When you are teaching, be sure to command the respect of your students immediately and all will go well." How do you feel about this?
    I am in agreement with this statement. It is imperative that I begin the year strong and portray to the class that I am the one in charge. To accomplish this I will begin the year off by detailing what I expect from my students and the consequences of not meeting those expectations. I will then carry out these consequences on a consistent and fair basis whenever student violates any of the expectations detailed at the beginning of the year.

4. How do you go about deciding what it is that should be taught in your class?
    Curriculum guidelines chosen by the district are always the basis of my instruction. Yet as a teacher, I strive to utilize the abundant amounts of resources available around me to provide a much more expansive educational environment. I base the resources I use in the classroom on student ability and student interest, differentiating where appropriate.

5. A parent comes to you and complains that what you are teaching his child is irrelevant to the child's needs. How would you respond?
    I would make an appointment with the parent to address his legitimate concerns with me. At the meeting we would, 1) review the district and state curriculum objectives, 2) review the testing standards and, 3) review textbook and reference materials adopted by the district for teacher use. I would then discuss their child's progress in achieving these goals and provide specifics about how I am trying to meet individual needs. If issues persist I will include my principal in the next meeting in order to find a more suitable solution.

6. What do you think will (does) provide you the greatest pleasure in teaching?
    Seeing my students learn the importance of making the right choices in life will grant me the greatest pleasure of all. When I finish a year with a group of students, I want to see that I actually had an impact on them in regards to decision making. If a student of mine leaves knowing that, all choices he/she makes hold a negative and positive outcome and that using good judgment is the key to making the right choice, then I see myself being extremely happy.

7. When you have some free time, what do you enjoy doing the most?
    I love to engross myself in a good book. I find that after every book I read not only do I gain a better understanding of the world around me, but I actually feel much more aware of myself as an individual.

8. How do you go about finding what students are good at?
    Due to the limited time we have with high school students it is difficult to pick up on all their particular interests. Therefore during the first week of school I will have the students fill out an interest card in which they detail their hobbies, likes, dislikes, goals, etc, etc. These cards can then be used as a reference as the year goes on to better understand where my students are coming from.

9. Would you rather try a lot of way-out teaching strategies or would you rather try to perfect the approaches that work best for you? Explain your position.
    Perfecting a strategy I believe is imperative since it provides you and your students with consistency. When students are exposed to random changes of strategy on a weekly basis it causes a disruption in their learning environment, but by maintaining a specific set of strategies your students will be able to flourish under the consistency. However, if the opportunity for a better educational experience presents itself, I am not opposed to trying a new strategy.

10. Do you like to teach with an overall plan in mind for the year, or would you rather just teach some interesting things and let the process determine the results? Explain your position.
    In order for students to receive the best education possible, it is important to utilize both approaches when developing an instructional plan. I would teach with an overall plan in mind for the year, because structure and consistency provide students with a solid learning experience. Yet I would still utilize my freedom to incorporate interesting ideas along the way in order to keep both my students and myself fresh. By maintaining the balance between structure and spontaneity the learning experience is expanded.

11. A student is doing poorly in your class. You talk to her, and she tells you that she considers you to be the poorest teacher she has ever met. What would you do?
    Communication is key in this situation. I would sit with the student and ask her to detail what it is about my methods she considers poor or inadequate. Together we will then draft a resolution to the situation. If the students critique is appropriate then it is imperative that I take the necessary steps to correct my actions and provide her with a quality education. If her grades continue to suffer it will be necessary to schedule a meeting with her and her guardian in order to find a suitable solution.

12. If there were absolutely no restrictions placed upon you, what would you want to do in life?
    Travel with my close friends to as many places as I possibly can in a lifetime. This world is filled with such beauty and interesting characters that I feel it is imperative to experience as much of it as you can with those who you care the most about.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2012

I think for question one, you are "safer" to respond with a more academic-centered answer.

For three, I think your phrase "...the one in charge" is a little...I don't know. Just don't love it.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2012

I've got concerns with the same two questions...

1. Schools want results, data driven instruction, meaningful learning. Of course that can't happen without good classroom mgt, but I'd craft my Answer around developing critical thinkers, lifelong learners, facilitating deep understanding of content.

3. Respect is earned, not commanded.

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 10, 2012

I agree with what the above two posters said. I also have some concerns about the use of the term 'right choices'. Although you may not mean it that way, it sounds a bit autocratic. I try to work with students in ways that encourage them to become critical thinkers and effective decision makers. I want them to be able to justify their thoughts and actions.

6. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Nov 10, 2012

I'm not sure what grade levels these answers are for, but to me, it sounds very stiff. I understand wanting to come across as a professional and as someone who knows their stuff, but in my opinion, it's important to show interviewers who you are as a person too. They want someone who will be a good fit for their school community, and someone who is flexible, student centered, and caring. I don't think your answers really come across that way...sorry. :(

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2012

The OP refers to high school students...but I do think your advice rings true regardless of grade level.:thumb: