Can someone please post their daily schedule for the first few days of school?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 11, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

Can someone please share an outline of their first days of school?

Since this will be my first classroom, I'm not sure how long it takes to teach procedures. I know you go over them multiple times for the first couple of weeks but I'm just not sure how much time to set aside.

Also, I'm suppose to give the DRA 1 on 1 with each student so what do you have the other students working on during this time since you won't be available to answer questions? I am trying to figure out when teachers start with the regular lessons from the teaching manuals.

I would love to see some examples of daily schedules I can start creating mine and get a head start!

Subject/activity/how long it'll take

3. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 12, 2008

I keep checking this thread hoping for some replies! I am so nervous about what to do!

4. Stef1999

Stef1999 New Member

Aug 12, 2008

Me too!! I am completely new to 3rd grade and I don't have a clue!

5. Sabrena

Sabrena Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Hey Everyone,
    Here is a post that someone posted a while back about the first day of school.. (I don't remember who posted it)!!
    Hope it helps!
    Here is my plan for the first day of school:

8:45- arrive and I will greet each child... they will begin sign in procedure. (Parents will also be there- which makes things CRAZY!) I will have the morning message up on the board, which will ask them to begin a scavenger hunt
    ( finding people who ____)

Example: Someone who has a baby in the family _____
    Someone who speaks another language _____
    Someone who plays an instrument ____

They can only put each person down once, and I have enough for everyone to fill out. There is also a question that fits me.

9:00?- I will tap kids and ask them to freeze silently. When the kids are silent, I will teach my Give Me Five signal. We will practice this several times. I let them get louder, move around, ect. and I will do the signal. I compliment, compliment,
    compliment.

9:10? We will have a morning meeting, which will be a daily ritual (but at another time the rest of the year) I will talk about the sign in and morning message. We will play a name game and introduce ourselves to one another. We will share the
    scavenger hunt results.

9:35: Teach lining up and walking through the school. We will walk to the bathrooms. There I will explain bathroom procedures and visit the bathrooms. (I show them the boys and girls and let them go in both. I tell them this is the only time they will see the opposite. I kind of kills the curiousity for later on.)

9:45? Back to the classroom. Guided discovery of the art shelves. Students go and choose a material to bring to their table group. Each child chooses one thing from the shelf, which allows them to see what there is on the shelf, and that is what the table has to use. (Glue, scissors, markers, scrap paper, feathers, etc.) As they choose materials we will make place cards for cubbies and coat hooks. (You could make desk tags at this time.) As they work, we have a discussion about volume during work time. They will finish and put their tags up. We will meet afterwards and come up with reasonable volumes for different kinds of work times. I will make a sign and put it up with them. (I will have the design and paper ready. I know I will do this on a small poster board, so I will have
    everything I need prepared.)

10:40? Recess procedure. I have a bell-ringer as a job, and I will introduce how this works. This person will practice with me, as we call in a few times and wait for the kids to come back. After we have done that a few times, they will have recess, and we will come in. It's a good idea to play a group game during recess
    as they may not know each other yet. It feels really crummy to walk around alone on the first day of school during recess. I may play Red Rover or something.

11:15? Back inside. Explore the classroom library. Talk about choosing books, and SSR. Practice SSR. Afterwards, share books they chose. (I am going to send a letter home asking the kids to bring a book from home the first week.) They can still look through the library, but this way I will know they will have a book
    to read if they can't find one in our library. I am also thinking that they will keep the books they brought from home at school, and the next day we will look at them and discuss genre. We will identify the genre of what everyone is reading and make a graph. This will continue as our chart for graphing the books read during the year.

11:55: Lunch routines, teach lunch procedures.

12:45 Begin read aloud-- may be something for first day of school in particular, but I usually begin my regular read aloud.

1:15 Guided discovery of math manipulatives. Building stuctures with linking cubes, or other materials. Discuss using them as "toys" versus "tools" Allow kids to build and share their structures. (we will have all the math materials out and they can play with them in centers perhaps. Pattern blocks, linking cubes,
    base -10 blocks --make good towers-- etc.) Also teach format for work sharing. Allow a few students to share what they made before we clean up.

2:05 Cleaning up math materials. Taking care of things in the classroom. Cleaning quietly and quickly. (We use these tools daily, so learning how to put them away is important)

2:15 Closing meeting. We will discuss helpful and unhelpful behaviors in the classroom, and this will be a preliminary for some expectation building exercises the next day. Each person will go around the circle and share one thing they are proud of doing or learning over the summer. (This is a staple in my class, sharing things they are proud of, learned, were challenging, etc.) I
    may assign an easy homework, like bring a photo from home. We will do something with it later.

2:45 Clean up and go home procedures. Go over each job. Stop and freeze game. While they work, I will say freeze. This will let me see how they are doing, what they are doing etc. I will compliment cleaning up A LOT! Every time I freeze, I will give a new direction. This will lead us to lining up for dismissal.

3:00 Time to go home!

I use "The first six weeks of school" by Paula Denton and __? Kriete.

6. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

This will help me a lot, but I wonder if any other teachers would post their first few days? I'd love to compare the ideas, and combine them with ideas of my own.

7. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 15, 2008

I'd love to help you out, but I don't have a CLUE what I am doing the first few days! I'm not that far yet!!!!:eek:hmy:

8. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

Sabrena, thank you so much, that is a great help to us all.