Can someone look over my resume please?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gazing_iscariot, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gazing_iscariot

gazing_iscariot Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

I keep getting regret letters for positions that I have experience in and am in many cases over qualified for and can't figure out why. I've begun looking for positions outside of teaching, as I apparently missed out on getting a teaching job for the current school year, and I'm currently working as a teachers aide.

The main problem is I'm pretty miserable in my current position and looking for other aide positions as well as admin assistant positions at area colleges and universities.

If anyone wouldn't mind, I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA

-----

I wish to gain employment in an educational environment where I can utilize my proficiencies of the English language in literature and computer literacy to enrich the community understanding of literary works to promote lifelong learning. I am enthusiastic and employ a passionate commitment to designing challenging and innovative activities that address the diverse interests and needs of the educational community.

Certifications: 8-12 English Language Arts and Reading
    Probationary Certification

Educational Aide Certification
    • Valid until July 2013

Education: Bachelor of Arts in English – Minor in History
    Texas Tech University August 2003 – August 2007

Job Experience:
    ABC Independent School District
    ABC Elementary – Computer Lab Assistant
    November 2007 – Present
    • Assisting students and teachers in using the computers and software and troubleshooting any issues that may arise
    • Assisting the computer lab teacher with classroom duties

ABC Independent School District
    ABC Elementary – Reading TAKS Tutor
    March 2008 – April 2008
    • Tutoring in preparation of retaking the TAKS test

BCD Independent School District
    Substitute Teacher
    August 2007 – November 2007
    • Performing a teacher’s classroom duties in his/her absence

The Gateway to the Internet / Sky Wireless
    Internet and Desktop Technical Support Expert
    May 2001 – August 2007
    • Providing technical support for Macintosh and Windows OS
    • Business and residential customer service and support
    • Basic router and network troubleshooting
    • Hardware and software installation and troubleshooting
    • Microsoft Office Support

Skills and Proficiencies:
    Microsoft Office Suite
    Windows and Macintosh proficient
    Telephone Reception and Customer Service
    Outlook
    70-80wpm
    Data entry
    Written Communication

3. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 9, 2008

Maybe be more specific when you are listing job duties? Instead of just saying that you assisted the computer teacher in the lab, maybe say which software was used. Also with subbing, you can include what the specific duties are such as classroom management, possibly collaborating with other teachers, following schedules and plans, etc. Good luck!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2008

I would shorten your objective. I don't know too many principals that would read through that.

5. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 9, 2008

I went to Texas Tech as well!!!! Go raiders! :)

It looks good to me but as smalltowngal stated i would shorten the objective to one sentence. Otherwise everything looks good.

6. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2008

Would it be possible to cut up your two first sentences into three or four smaller ones? They are both too long.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

7. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Sep 9, 2008

It looks good. I was also suggest shortening your objective. Save a lot of that good stuff for your cover letter.

Also, try to bulk up your job duties. What specifically did you do to help your students prepare for the TAKS test? It seems like your computer aide position has lasted for awhile, so for sure make that a center point, add more details- sell it!

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 10, 2008

I gave up on the objective after the second line. I had to force myself to finish reading the entire resume since you were requesting help. The objective, while well written is too long.

You should probably also elaborate on your duties in both the computer lab position and in the sub position.

Good Luck :)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2008

gazing_iscariot, read your objective aloud, please If it flows and doesn't take more than a couple of breaths to get through, you're on the right track.

10. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 10, 2008

shorten or eliminate the objective. They know why your applying. Put the specific job opening your applying for in your cover letter. It needs more elaboration on the specific things you did. For example in my resume

~Collaborated with team to plan and implement thematic units in conservation, space and the olympics.

11. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 10, 2008

"I am enthusiastic and employ a passionate commitment to designing challenging and innovative activities that address the diverse interests and needs of the educational community."

This part of your objective would be great for your cover letter! I'd remove it from the resume. though.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2008

I'd recommend "passionately committed" rather than "employ a passionate commitment".

13. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

I'd change all the verbs from "~ing" to just plain present tense. Instead of "Assisting" just use "Assist". And as mentioned earlier, more specificity in your tasks. Any impressive-sounding numbers -- even if it's just number of students -- might help also.

14. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Sep 10, 2008

Is there anyway you can find out how the kids you tutored did on the TAKS? That might be something good to add. You can put your objective into short bulleted statements. It makes it easier to scan (cause that's what principals do). Also what about your school GPA (overall, major and minor) - it makes me wonder if they are not listed if you are trying hide bad grades (not that I think you are, just what a principal might think)

15. gazing_iscariot

gazing_iscariot Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

Thank you guys so much! How about this as an objective, or is it still too long?

Also, CarrieB - I didn't list my gpa because I was told you generally do that if your resume is a 'college resume' - just out of college with no work experience, and while I know I am recently out of college I do have work experience (7 years) behind me. Is this incorrect?

16. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Sep 11, 2008

I've never listed my gpa on a resume. Usually I include a copy of my transcript so they know it anyways if they are at all interested. Then again, if you have a phenomenal gpa I don't think it would hurt to list it.