Can Someone Explain..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachingTy2010, Jul 20, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

Can someone please put into words that since this is going to be my 1st year teaching and plus teaching in a Baltimore City school, I have to purchase most of my supplies... My aunt thinks I can just wait it out til I get paid to get things..I don't want my classroom to look like crap on the first day and I wanna be prepared...

And yes I know I just said stuff that I could just simply tell my aunt, but she don't wanna hear it!

Help!

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

Tell her you won't have time to worry about getting supplies and whatnot once school starts. You will be doing so much other stuff - getting to know your students - organizing - paperwork - meetings - conferences - assessing - etc

4. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jul 20, 2010

you absolutely have to get all of your "stuff" and organize them before school starts. It takes me a full week in august to just set up my room. then i also spend time at home creating and organizing things for the start of the year. Once that first day hits, its very hard to worry about buying things.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

You have to get your learning environment ready for the students - that cannot wait. So necessities are necessary:D

However, be careful about going nuts with buying. Most of what I bought as a 1st year was a waste. Don't try to go all cutesy - just the bare necessities.

Don't, don't, don't - buy a bunch of canned bulletin board stuff and posters - SUCH A COMPLETE WASTE.

Oh and congrats on your new career!:hugs:

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 20, 2010

Also, stuff is cheaper now than it will be later since the back-to-school sales are on :)

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

very true. I hate running out of crayons mid year - a 30 cents pack of crayons becomes $1.25.

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 20, 2010

You might let her know that supplying and preparing the room is much like mise en place in cooking. You can not do the work of an academic chef until the kitchen is set up. Unlike chefs, teachers do not have sous chefs, so you are your own sous chef. She is probably just worried that you are spending a ton of time and money before you are on salary. She'll get used to it. Maybe you can enlist her help to cut things out or label them. That always works in my family. They have a better understanding and appreciation of the things that are requirements of being a teacher.

9. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

Trust me I am not going crazy. I bought some decoration thingys, crayons, pencils, 4 composition notebooks, tape, etc.

I know the sales are going on now, so I am trying to get it now before the sales go off..Friday I get to see the room I will be in so hopefully I can make of list of what I need and don't need!

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

oh no, that is what I meant. Some new teachers do (like I did). School supplies stuff - ABSOLUTELY buy it now. It will bemuch MORE expensive later on. Tell her you are investing in a career - its not like going to work at McD's (not that there is anything wrong with that). You just have to put more into teaching.

11. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 20, 2010

I agree with everyone else...definitely get your room set up and the supplies you need now (especially with all the great deals going on). Making your room an inviting learning environment for your kids is so important. The first day of school will be your students' first impression of their classroom and you want it to be a positive one ;)